I'm being deployed to Haiti... I have a Sprint Tour and know nothing about international use... Can someone tell me what I need to do to use the GSM feature and whether Sprint GSM will work in Haiti (if cell infrastructure is intact still)... Thanks for the help in advance...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 11:10 AM
    I'm being deployed to Haiti... I have a Sprint Tour and know nothing about international use... Can someone tell me what I need to do to use the GSM feature and whether Sprint GSM will work in Haiti (if cell infrastructure is intact still)... Thanks for the help in advance...

you're best bet is to call Sprint directly, they have to unlock the Tour so you can use it during your deployment. You never know they may even waive some charges for your while you're gone.

It's probably cheaper to buy a prepaid sim card while you're there.
    01-16-10 11:53 AM
    Digicel Haiti is the major GSM cell provider. Comcel is the major CDMA provider (All according to Wikipedia).

Since you have Sprint, your Tour should already be unlocked (you might see if you find a AT&T sim card from a friend to try before leaving the states), problem is, as normal normal overseas trips are concerned, the GMS prepaid card/sims are available at the airports however in Haiti, I wouldn't count on such availablity, Depending on your departure time, you can get pro-paid card though the internet.

You can arrange with Sprint International CDMA service but that again depends on infrustructure damage as you might be able to have service locally to other cell phone users but you might not have international service (or visa/versa).

Honestly, my sister has done charity work in Haiti in the past years and even in pre-quake times, the cell phone service was not good, however she was working in out-laying villages away from population centers. Under the circumstances, I would not expect or depend on any cell service however has I understand many including the US wireless companies are helping out to get wirelless service restored and enchanced to provide better aid to service workers.

As presumable you are headed to the assit in releif services, contact Sprint and see what they can offer you as most likely they may waive any international fees associatioed with such but that's speculation on my part but they should be able to let you know if internation roaming service is even currently available in that area, taking your Tour with you might be unnecessary baggage.
    01-18-10 01:47 PM
    there is a guy that i follow on twitter on haiti now. he has a sprint tour and said the data works but not the phone. things r changing by the minute so it could start working. he was there prior to the earthquake and i assume the voice worked then.
    01-18-10 09:18 PM
    And unrelated to the Cell issue, I wish you luck and pass along a thanks for your service, and strength to handle the trials ahead.

01-18-10 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD