I have been reading this forum for some time now (every since ive heard of the merger) and all i hear is how good the VZW customer service is. Well, im not impressed. i called today due to the fact that my stepdaughter has traveled outside of our home area and now her phone says roaming (constant "R", not the flashing one). Also, it just started today and she has been gone a week. So, i call CS and explain to them whats going on and they tell me to do a prl update next time she is in the home area and she should turn off the device to not incur roaming charges. I thought they were there to help us? She never once asked where is she or any of the root cause questions a good CS rep usually ask. GREAT CS THERE. i was so frustrated that i politely told the CS rep thank you, listened to her "is there anything else i can help you with" and hung up. The good news is i did call back after calming down and got a decent CS rep who looked up the zip code where the stepdaughter is and verified that she should be covered. I guess i'll have to wait until the bill comes to see if i was really covered.

PREPARING FOR FLAMING! (noticed a lot of that on this forum also when you go against the machine)
    07-18-09 05:52 PM
    Out of curiosity, was she anywhere near Canada or Mexico? As long as she wasn't actually in those countries, all the Verizon plans are Nationwide so you *should* be covered. Sometimes if you're close to the border you can accidently pick up on a tower in one of those countries, but if you call VZW and explain to them what happened, you should be fine. It could just be that your phone says it's roaming due to having Alltel programming in it since you're now working off of Verizon towers, but I'm not sure how it works as I'm not in a conversion area, so don't quote me on that.
    07-18-09 06:04 PM
    Actually she is in Annapolis MD. I figured she was good (because she was when it was just alltel) but I figured iwas best to be safe rather than be surprised.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 06:07 PM
    What she may be experiencing is flakiness due to the system conversions that are going on. Annapolis is a large area so I am surprised she is seeing a roaming indicator at all (which may be a phone issue itself).

As far as the CS experience goes, here is the bottom line: in any organization you are going to get some really good people and alot of really mediocre people. Sounds like the first rep clearly was not well equipped to deal with the issue which is why they recommended the PRL update instead of doing some actual troubleshooting which is what the second rep did. Both reps should have transferred you to tech support or asked your daughter to call into tech support. VZW does place high demands on their reps and despite what the official policy is, you may not get that level of service. It's sad, but true. IMO, you do not want to do the job that is asked of you, then quit.

You should not incur any roaming charges.
    07-18-09 07:27 PM
    I have to say, i'm genuinely impressed with the assistance that i have gotten in this forum today. usually if you speak anything other than positive about verizon you get flamed to no end. again i appreciate the help and the level of professionalism.
    07-18-09 07:31 PM
    I've had nothing but horrible experience with VZW CS

07-18-09 07:32 PM
    I've had nothing but horrible experience with VZW CS

Which is your problem cause you didnt call me
    07-18-09 07:39 PM
    Big.Daddy; we live to surprise lol
    07-19-09 10:05 AM
    its my understanding that in the US there is no roaming charges for VZW.. whether your roaming or not..
    07-19-09 01:37 PM
    its my understanding that in the US there is no roaming charges for VZW.. whether your roaming or not..
    What he said^^^^. My VZW account shows "Domestic Roam Rate....Included." In understand your frustration with VZW, but a quick glance at your "plan" online would likely show that roaming is free.
    07-19-09 01:47 PM
    Yes, you're covered whether roaming or not. She should be able to do *228 in Annapolis, but even if not, no problem.

No carrier can update your phone for you when you're out of the area. .

07-19-09 04:06 PM
    Just trying to understand...the user left the country, came back and still had "roaming" appear on the screen?

07-19-09 04:20 PM
    Just trying to understand...the user left the country, came back and still had "roaming" appear on the screen?

Where from the original post did you get the idea that she went out of country?
    07-19-09 05:11 PM
    "...traveled outside of our home area..."

But anyway, I see what he meant by it now. Thanks.

07-19-09 05:30 PM
    "...traveled outside of our home area..."

But anyway, I see what he meant by it now. Thanks.

In the old days, driving into the next town was leaving your home area and would incur roaming charges.

Cell phones used to be so expensive. Going back 20 some odd years, just looking at the phone incurred $5 a minute fees. 50 minutes on the plan, drive outside of town and it was roaming. Phones were like $800 a pop. Ah, the good ole days...sigh.
    07-19-09 07:03 PM
    In the old days, driving into the next town was leaving your home area and would incur roaming charges.

Cell phones used to be so expensive. Going back 20 some odd years, just looking at the phone incurred $5 a minute fees. 50 minutes on the plan, drive outside of town and it was roaming. Phones were like $800 a pop. Ah, the good ole days...sigh.
    lol...I couldn't imagine paying those fees per month. Amazing how technology and times change.

07-20-09 12:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD