First, here are the rules of locking at Verizon:
    1. You are allowed 1 unlock per mobile number, per 10 months.
    2. You cannot have been suspended for non-pay in the last 10 months.
    3. You cannot have a past due balance.
    4. You must have service for at least 60 days with Verizon.

Second, here are the steps to unlock your Tour:
    1. Call VZW Global Support at 888.844.0395
    2. Tell the representative you are interested in unlocking your Tour.
    3. They will check your account to make sure you meet the above listed criteria.
    4. They will ask for an e-mail address so that you may read the Terms and Conditions to have your Tour unlocked.
    5. Once you've verbally agreed to having your phone unlocked, they will instruct you to do these things:

Steps to unlock your phone:
    1. Go to Manage Connections and turn off the radio of your Tour
    2. Go to Options/Advanced Options/SIM Card
    3. The representative on the phone will ask you to read them your SIM number.
    4. They will instruct you to type MEPD
    5. Next, you will be instructed to type MEP2
    6. A new window will have popped up and you will enter the unlock code provided by the VZW representative.
    7. Remove your battery to reset your Tour.

You have now successfully unlocked your Verizon Wireless Tour.
    08-13-09 06:13 PM
    How can you get the tour code from verizon I called and they told me I had to have the phone for 60 days first

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 07:28 PM
    How can you get the tour code from verizon I called and they told me I had to have the phone for 60 days first

Dude did u just read the post...lolol
    08-26-09 08:21 PM
    Not a lot of new info. Most of this has already been posted and can be found with a search.
    How can you get the tour code from verizon I called and they told me I had to have the phone for 60 days first.

lol. The OP mentioned that in his post.

08-26-09 08:25 PM
    Not a lot of new info. Most of this has already been posted and can be found with a search.

lol. The OP mentioned that in his post.

HA! In his defense, it says:
    4. You must have service for at least 60 days with Verizon.
    That's a lot different than you must have had the phone active for at least 60 days.
    08-26-09 08:28 PM
    Thx for the post. Its very helpful.
    08-26-09 09:34 PM
    does it remove the ESN changer on your my verizon?

The reason I ask is because I own both a storm and a tour and wish to switch between them and if thats gone it makes it a pain
    08-26-09 09:37 PM
    No you'll still be able to switch between the 2 devices on my verizon or over the phone just as you always could.

This will allow you to pop in a sim card of any carrier and have access to their service with your BB instead of buying a new phone/BB for a different carrier. This will also work on carriers outside of the U.S.

08-26-09 10:23 PM
    Newbie Here...and the purpose or reason for wanting to "unlock" a phone...sorry for the dumb question but somebodies gotta explain the "unlock" to me...thanks
    08-26-09 10:53 PM
    Newbie Here...and the purpose or reason for wanting to "unlock" a phone...sorry for the dumb question but somebodies gotta explain the "unlock" to me...thanks
    I kind of answered it in the post above yours, but basically it will allow you to travel abroad and use your BB Tour on a foreign carrier by popping in a sim card, without paying ridiculous prices for a global calling plan. You will just have to have an activated sim card and place in where your carrier's sim card is currently. Having it unlocked will also allow you to do the same on another carrier in the U.S. But the main reason behind it is for global traveling. Short run, if you wanna use your BB on another carrier for domestic or international use, get it unlocked.

Last edited by revolutionary_3; 08-26-09 at 11:03 PM.
    08-26-09 10:59 PM
    Dude did u just read the post...lolol
    The OP's post only says you must have had service for 60 days, not the phone for 60 days. I got my Tour nlocked the first day I bought it.
    08-26-09 11:03 PM
    I kind of answered it in the post above yours, but basically it will allow you to travel abroad and use your BB Tour on a foreign carrier by popping in a sim card, without paying ridiculous prices for a global calling plan. You will just have to have an activated sim card and place in where your carrier's sim card is currently. Having it unlocked will also allow you to do the same on another carrier in the U.S. But the main reason behind it is for global traveling. Short run, if you wanna use your BB on another carrier for domestic or international use, get it unlocked.

So if I unlock my phone, does it cost any extra a month? and how will i know which towers I am on? like some people say they got their phone unlocked the day they bought it...what is this doing for them?...thanks for your help
    08-26-09 11:22 PM
    No it won't cost you anything extra. You will stay on your carriers network and therefore their towers. You must physically remove and replace the SIM card in the battery compartment to use it on another carrier.

Ex Scenario: I move to Ireland and don't want to buy a new phone. I don't want to pay for a global calling plan from my carrier to use my BB there. With my BB unlocked I can now insert a Vodafone (or other carrier) sim card in my BB and use it as a local BB (new number is given to BB as long as SIM is in) with their service. I wouldn't be able to do that if it wasn't unlocked.

The only thing it does for them is to allow them to use another sim card down the road or at another time also some people for various reasons like using the same BB on different carriers off and on. So they'll use a sim card for their situation. Having it unlocked provides no other benefit.

I'll also point out that you must have an active service on the other sim card for it to work. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by revolutionary_3; 08-26-09 at 11:34 PM.
    08-26-09 11:27 PM
    No it won't cost you anything extra. You will stay on your carriers network and therefore their towers. You must physically remove and replace the SIM card in the battery compartment to use it on another carrier.

Ex Scenario: I move to Ireland and don't want to buy a new phone. I don't want to pay for a global calling plan from my carrier to use my BB there. With my BB unlocked I can now insert a Vodafone (or other carrier) sim card in my BB and use it as a local BB (new number is given to BB as long as SIM is in) with their service. I wouldn't be able to do that if it wasn't unlocked.

The only thing it does for them is to allow them to use another sim card down the road or at another time also some people for various reasons like using the same BB on different carriers off and on. So they'll use a sim card for their situation. Having it unlocked provides no other benefit.

I'll also point out that you must have an active service on the other sim card for it to work. Hope this helps!
    Man you are a great help and I really appreciate this. I have a feeling I am not the only know who is in the dark about this....but maybe...

Ok, let me ask you something. So if I unlock my phone, then travel to London for example...turn my blackberry on in London when I land...will I automatically be able to use my service there...

or are you saying, once I land in London, go to a local carrier in London and purchase a calling plan or purchase one of their sim cards and put it in my phone? They will let me buy one of their sim cards and give me a whole new cell phone number etc? then am i locked in with them on a plan for 2 years?

still a bit unclear...sorry to keep bothering you...
    08-26-09 11:39 PM
    Well, ideally you would buy a pay as you go plan in London, and use it as needed. When you returned to the US you would then return to Verizon's network.

08-26-09 11:45 PM
    I studied abroad a couple years ago. From my experience, depending on what kind of service your looking for. Carriers will give you a sim card or charge you very little. In return you "top up" or buy minutes or data for your BB (best route to go unless you plan on staying long enough for a contract). "Topping up" or paying as you go is a lot more popular in europe than it is here in North America. The sim card is what give's you the carrier's service when outside your primary carrier (i.e. Verizon). When you return to North America just remove the sim and you'll be back on your carrier @ home with your primary mobile number.

For your scenario: unlock before leaving. After landing go to a carrier (Vodafone, O2, etc) and pick up a SimCard and put some money on it. Install it in your BB and you'll now have a new mobile number (until you remove the sim) and be able to use it like any person in London as a local call.
    Last edited by revolutionary_3; 08-26-09 at 11:57 PM.
    08-26-09 11:51 PM
    thanks for the info. When i was in london for a year, i bought a cheap phone and had a sim card that i just topped up whenever i needed to. If i went to another country, i would buy a sim card there, since it would be a lot cheaper. I have a few and so if can unlock my tour, id just pop one of those in.

Regarding the BB data plan, how might i use that on say Vodofone without a plan
    08-27-09 07:34 AM
    Good post.
    08-27-09 07:54 AM
    I just bought 2 tours and was told by the verizon rep at the time that the tour comes "unlocked". I specifically asked as I am traveling abroad and wanted to use other sim cards.
    08-27-09 11:06 AM
    I just bought 2 tours and was told by the verizon rep at the time that the tour comes "unlocked". I specifically asked as I am traveling abroad and wanted to use other sim cards.
    Here is the easiest way to see whether or not this rep was telling you the truth.

To see if your phone is currently locked or unlocked do this:

1. Go to Options
    2. Advanced Options
    3. SIM Card
    4. Type MEPD
    5. A set of "Personalization" settings will pop up under your SIM card #.
    6. Under "Personalization", there is a row "Network".

If to the right of "Network" it says "Active" - your phone is locked.
    If to the right of "Network" it says "Inactive" - your phone is unlocked.
    08-30-09 10:57 PM
    Here is the easiest way to see whether or not this rep was telling you the truth.

To see if your phone is currently locked or unlocked do this:

1. Go to Options
    2. Advanced Options
    3. SIM Card
    4. Type MEPD
    5. A set of "Personalization" settings will pop up under your SIM card #.
    6. Under "Personalization", there is a row "Network".

If to the right of "Network" it says "Active" - your phone is locked.
    If to the right of "Network" it says "Inactive" - your phone is unlocked.
    Good to know. Thanks.
    The tours do not come unlocked.
    09-03-09 04:23 PM
    okay guys. im new here so please bear with me!

i recently got a Verizon Tour and I used cellunlock.com to get it unlocked.
    I can use the phone to call and text but I have no access to GPRS or BB Data services.

I'm currently located in Singapore and called my service provider and they said they cant detect my IMEI/Tour logging onto their Blackberry network.

Under Service Status it shows:
    Mobile Voice: available
    Black Berry internet Service: not connected

Can anyone help me out here? Does Verizon have some sort of GPRS/Data lock?
    09-09-09 09:26 PM
    I too had no clue about what the purpose of an unlocked phone was. Totally makes sense. I could ask someone at verizon, but what the heck...whether locked or unlocked, is it necessary to have a sim card when traveling to Canada? Sorry to slightly go off topic.

09-09-09 11:36 PM
    Worked like a charm. Thanks for the guide.
    10-29-09 11:08 AM
    I too had no clue about what the purpose of an unlocked phone was. Totally makes sense. I could ask someone at verizon, but what the heck...whether locked or unlocked, is it necessary to have a sim card when traveling to Canada? Sorry to slightly go off topic.

It's cheaper than paying for roaming just get a prepaid sim from a local carrier and your set
    10-29-09 11:39 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD