Does (or did) anyone have troubles with their 8830 and GPS? I'm on Alltel and everything else works like a charm on my new 8830 but I cannot get a satellite lock to save my life! What am I missing here? I"ve used BB maps, Google maps, and GPSED and none of them can get a signal using the GPS, apparently.

thanks,

MG
    06-17-08 03:24 PM
    Download Telenav...run it once during the 30 day trial, then don't use it anymore. Then the other GPS stuff will work.
    06-17-08 06:12 PM
    It's pretty odd. Is there an explanation for why Telenav enables the others?
    06-17-08 09:12 PM
    It's a bit of a scam to get you to pay for telenav. But as stated just download, activate and delete, then get whatever nav program you want. I use Nav4all, it works just fine and best of all it is free.
    06-18-08 01:19 AM
    You don't pay for telenav unless you use it beyond the 30 day trial.
    06-18-08 05:50 PM
    1000 thank yous for the tip to enable TeleNav to make your GPS work properly !!

It now works perfectly with Google maps and the built in map thingy, and finds the satellites within 5 secs everytime !!

-- Cain
    06-19-08 07:05 PM
    I am just wondering have they done away with the 30 day trial, cs told me charges start instantly, over the phone and in store. Do you find out about the trial after it's been downloaded, the telenav on my phone says charges start instantly also. Just curious.
    06-27-08 09:41 AM
    I am just wondering have they done away with the 30 day trial, cs told me charges start instantly, over the phone and in store. Do you find out about the trial after it's been downloaded, the telenav on my phone says charges start instantly also. Just curious.
    it doesn't. it says it does. but it doesn't. just install the thing and then it will notify you about the 30 day trail. accept, load it up, and then delete it.

everything else worked like a charm.
    07-09-08 12:02 PM
    If I delete it it no longer works for me. I have given up on the gps function and alltel unless I pay for telenav.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Update... The only way to get other programs to function with gps is to leave telenav runnning in the back ground also. I guess its time to get the freedom key.
    Last edited by BBRC2; 07-10-08 at 08:54 AM.
    07-09-08 01:09 PM
    I can't help you with Alltel, but an external GPS puck, such as the Freedom Keychain 2000, as a perfectly good alternative to the internal GPS. I've used one for several months with my Verizon 8830.
    07-09-08 03:58 PM
    Same experience as BBRC2 here. I downloaded Telenav, ran it once, deleted it -- and GPS stopped working. With it enabled, GPS works. Maybe Alltel plugged that hole?

I'm seriously considering JeffH's suggestion. We have a Garmin GPS for one car, but I'd like to have an option for the other and a puck is a lot cheaper than paying $10 per month for Telenav.
    07-09-08 08:40 PM
    ...I'm seriously considering JeffH's suggestion. We have a Garmin GPS for one car, but I'd like to have an option for the other and a puck is a lot cheaper than paying $10 per month for Telenav.
    A couple of additional points to consider:
    First, the keychain does not come with any bundled software. There are plenty of packages available, both free and paid. I've not read a lot of reviews of Telenav, but you are getting something more than just the GPS with your Telenav subscription. Of course, if you tried it and didn't like it, you're losing nothing.
    Second, the keychain can be used with any device that has bluetooth. I use mine with my laptop as well as with my 8830. So there's some additional functionality in having an external device. Plus, the Freedom has its own battery and power adapter, so it's not using your blackberry power. Of course, there's a negative to an external device, too: you have something else to carry. The Freedom recharges either by a vehicle 12v adapter, or by a USB cable. It doesn't come with an ac transformer, so you don't have to keep up with one of those.
    07-09-08 09:10 PM
    Hey all just wanted to let you know that if you keep telnav on your bb, but cancel the subscription through alltel all your gps apps work. You have to keep the app. to keep your gps. Just make sure you don't run it after you cancelled your subscription.
    07-10-08 09:59 AM
    Thank you !!
    07-11-08 05:46 AM
    If I delete it it no longer works for me. I have given up on the gps function and alltel unless I pay for telenav.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Update... The only way to get other programs to function with gps is to leave telenav runnning in the back ground also. I guess its time to get the freedom key.
    That's kind of the only way mine will work as well. After I close telenav all of the programs I've tried, except Nav4All stop working.
    07-12-08 06:17 PM
    For Outlaw644 - How do I cancel it through Alltel? It does not show on my bill (yet?)
    07-12-08 11:08 PM
    Huskerberry
    Just call alltel and cancel it. I found out even knowing i cancel subscription through Telnav, it still charge me.

For anyone else, you don't have to keep Telnav on your phone to get GPS to work. You just need to find the right program to work on your phone. For example, BB maps works great on my phone, Instamaper and Blackberry tracker didn't, Nav4all and GPSed works. Just give a few of this a try.
    07-13-08 05:54 PM
    Ok... Alltel 8830 4.2.2.123 Bought and never installed a paid GPS service.

GPS did not work in BB Maps or Google Maps at all.

I installed Nav4All and "it" worked. Suddenly Google maps started working... sorta... As did BBmaps... Well, sorta. Sorta means, it seems that if I go into Nav4All "first" and stay in it, Google and Bb maps generally work perfectly.

Here and there Nav4All doesnt always "quite" work right either, but it usually does.

If I dont use nav4All, and I just go straight into Google maps first, sometimes it would NAIL where I was outside, like within 6 meters. Other times, it would show me within "1700 meters" or "5000 meters". I assumed the latter two were celltower triangulations (at home they put me in the same wrong spot religiously). But the "within 6 meters" one was exactly accurate as to where I was.

Also, going directly into BBmaps without having started Nav4All, it won't be able to acquire satelites at all, ever. It sits for a long time never gets them. It will get them after Nav4All opens and gets them first. It then works fine as well.

Here and there I try them all, and NOTHING works... Ugh...
    Last edited by jdwx; 07-13-08 at 07:31 PM.
    07-13-08 07:20 PM
    For Outlaw644 - How do I cancel it through Alltel? It does not show on my bill (yet?)
    I think that TeleNav has a 30 day trial period, so my guess is that is why it isn't on your bill yet. Will be interested to hear what Outlaw644 says. I may try reinstalling TeleNav if it looks like an option.
    07-13-08 09:57 PM
    Thanks, JeffH. I know that TeleNav does turn by turn directions, but paying $10 per month for that, at least as often as I'd require it (maybe 3-4 times per month) seems expensive. If I feel I need that then I might consider using it. I've heard some negative reviews of TeleNav though, compared to external units such as Garmins. I figure the puck can go on my keychain, and the only place I'd likely be using it anyway is in the car, so I'd have keys with me anyway.

I will be interested to see the replies from others though. If I can find a way to keep GPS enabled I'd love to find it. Of course, when VZW takes over Alltel, they may plug this hole.
    07-13-08 10:03 PM
    Yes, if you are still in the trial it won't show on your bill. however, you do want to cancel it before it does or you'll have to pay for it. The gps i use with turn by turn instructions is amazegps. It's free and it works great for me. It has me within 50 feet almost always. Sometimes i have to open bbmaps first to get amaze and google maps to get satellites. but when it's free I can handle doing that.

cheers
    07-14-08 03:12 AM
    Huskerberry
    Just call alltel and cancel it. I found out even knowing i cancel subscription through Telnav, it still charge me.

For anyone else, you don't have to keep Telnav on your phone to get GPS to work. You just need to find the right program to work on your phone. For example, BB maps works great on my phone, Instamaper and Blackberry tracker didn't, Nav4all and GPSed works. Just give a few of this a try.
    My wife and I both have pearls, hers works if the app stays on the phone or off, mine however wouldn't, i tried nav4all and gpsed, and bbmaps and google maps all wouldn't find a sat. I had them resend the app and installed it and everything worked. Called alltel to cancel the subscription, kept the app on the phone and tah-dah, everything works for free.
    07-14-08 03:26 AM
    I would still call to make sure it's canceled personally. I thought the same, 30 day trial so there should be no charge. They charge me right out of the gate. i never even used the program.
    07-14-08 05:33 AM
    Ok... Alltel 8830 4.2.2.123 Bought and never installed a paid GPS service.

GPS did not work in BB Maps or Google Maps at all.

I installed Nav4All and "it" worked. Suddenly Google maps started working... sorta... As did BBmaps... Well, sorta. Sorta means, it seems that if I go into Nav4All "first" and stay in it, Google and Bb maps generally work perfectly.

Here and there Nav4All doesnt always "quite" work right either, but it usually does.

If I dont use nav4All, and I just go straight into Google maps first, sometimes it would NAIL where I was outside, like within 6 meters. Other times, it would show me within "1700 meters" or "5000 meters". I assumed the latter two were celltower triangulations (at home they put me in the same wrong spot religiously). But the "within 6 meters" one was exactly accurate as to where I was.

Also, going directly into BBmaps without having started Nav4All, it won't be able to acquire satelites at all, ever. It sits for a long time never gets them. It will get them after Nav4All opens and gets them first. It then works fine as well.

Here and there I try them all, and NOTHING works... Ugh...
    I've found on my phone if these programs aren't finding the satellites, I'll shut my phone off and pull the battery. (not sure if the 8830 are they same way as the 8130) Once it back on, BB maps or any other work fine. Not really sure how to help you on this since we have different phone. I just know on mine i can run them separate, they don't depend on each other.
    07-14-08 05:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD