Sup guys, so i will go to Asia and bring my 8830 with me, going to pass by japan and then to Manila. it looks like i will be roaming in japan (airport) with cdma (au by KDDI), and then to the philippines on SMART via GPRS.

Now my question is that i have the sim in the 8830, but i want to know how much is the international blackberry plan. Any international users can chime in on this? THanks . I think i just need to add an international plan and i only need it for 1 month since ill be there for around 3 weeks.

Cant wait to take my 8830 in to GSM territory lol
    01-07-09 08:12 PM
    I think your 8830 is going to Asia with you
    01-07-09 09:02 PM
    I think your 8830 is going to Asia with you
    im lost
    01-07-09 11:58 PM
    Ace:

I was recently in Europe with my 8830. It worked flawlessly. You just need to call Sprint Worldwide Customer Care at: 1-888-226-7212 and have them enable your device and activate the BB international data plan. It is around $70 a month but they will pro rate that for your particular length of stay abroad.

Hope that helps.

chesterhound
    01-08-09 09:04 AM
    send pics! errr wait...guess not from you phone. oh well. =D sounds like cool places, enjoy!
    01-08-09 10:55 AM
    send pics! errr wait...guess not from you phone. oh well. =D sounds like cool places, enjoy!
    im going in may but gettng an early headstart, ihope the cdma bold will have a camera
    01-08-09 10:57 AM
    Ace,

other option is wherever you go get a prepaid sim for that country and put that sim in your 8830 ( instead of the Sprint Sim) ...i belive that would be cheaper...offcourse you would not be able to use this as a US phone (or number) ...instead if would be like a local phone for the country you are travelling.

if you dont want to miss any call from US...then ignore my suggesstion..

TC

Monu
    01-08-09 01:02 PM
    Ace,

other option is wherever you go get a prepaid sim for that country and put that sim in your 8830 ( instead of the Sprint Sim) ...i belive that would be cheaper...offcourse you would not be able to use this as a US phone (or number) ...instead if would be like a local phone for the country you are travelling.

if you dont want to miss any call from US...then ignore my suggesstion..

TC

Monu
    yeah i was thinking abt roaming, since i cannot part with BBM , being gone from BBM for 3 weeks is torture lol, but $70 is a LOT for me lol. i think you need to have the plan for around 1 year, is that true? ill only need it for 1 month
    01-08-09 01:14 PM
    Ace:

You don't need to keep the international BB plan for a year. You only keep it as long as you will be overseas. And, like I stated earlier, it's prorated. So it would cost you around $2.35 per day to have unlimited data services for your 8830. So, it really doesn't cost a lot and no other carrier will be able to match Sprint's price.
    01-08-09 01:46 PM
    Ace:

You don't need to keep the international BB plan for a year. You only keep it as long as you will be overseas. And, like I stated earlier, it's prorated. So it would cost you around $2.35 per day to have unlimited data services for your 8830. So, it really doesn't cost a lot and no other carrier will be able to match Sprint's price.
    nice, thats good to hear, 2.35 X 21 days isnt bad at all. I think ill do it, and if u come back u can just remove the addon right?
    Last edited by ace598; 01-08-09 at 01:54 PM.
    01-08-09 01:51 PM
    nice, thats good to hear, 2.35 X 21 days isnt bad at all. I think ill do it, and if u come back u can just remove the addon right?
    *if* you come back? Plan on getting kidnapped?

01-08-09 02:18 PM
    *if* you come back? Plan on getting kidnapped?

LMAO, if they see me with a bb, theyll think im rich
    01-08-09 04:18 PM
    LMAO, if they see me with a bb, theyll think im rich
    Nah, they'll just show you a knock off for $15 that works better with MMS and OS 4.5

01-08-09 04:21 PM
    Nah, they'll just show you a knock off for $15 that works better with MMS and OS 4.5

LOL!, and watch it be dual band
    01-08-09 04:22 PM
    Actually, if you know the date you'll be back, just let them know and it will automatically be removed. It was a smooth experience for me and I will do the same when I go back to Europe this year.
    01-08-09 04:48 PM
    Actually, if you know the date you'll be back, just let them know and it will automatically be removed. It was a smooth experience for me and I will do the same when I go back to Europe this year.
    cool, yeah ill know when ill be back. good to know that, since other carriers required 1 year commitments. Sprint rocks

Thanks everyone who contributed to my thread
    01-08-09 04:50 PM
    Make sure you call Sprint long in advance of your trip. I spend a great deal of time in Russia and have never got my 8830WE to work. The first time I got to Russia and it did not work, called Sprint from my Megafon phone and they told me you cannot activiate the SIM card in my phone, I would have to be mailed a new one. I had the phone and international plan etc several months before. They said the SIM that comes with the phone doesn't actually work outside the US. So much for my World Edition phone that has never worked outside of the US.
    01-08-09 04:55 PM
    Make sure you call Sprint long in advance of your trip. I spend a great deal of time in Russia and have never got my 8830WE to work. The first time I got to Russia and it did not work, called Sprint from my Megafon phone and they told me you cannot activiate the SIM card in my phone, I would have to be mailed a new one. I had the phone and international plan etc several months before. They said the SIM that comes with the phone doesn't actually work outside the US. So much for my World Edition phone that has never worked outside of the US.
    ill do that thanks!
    01-08-09 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD