thanks for the feedback guys! i thought i can use my BIS if i activate my roaming. oh well. maybe i do really need to bring 2 phones (1 for my roaming # and 1 for my BB) hehehe. i'll leave my plan here in PH cause i don't want to have a HUGE bill. (like my friend who got a whopping bill of 15K!) hahahaha!

When I went to Singapore a few months ago, I was able to use my BBM without subscribing to Globe's BlackBerry Data Roaming (USD40 for 5 days). Before I left Manila, I activated my globe roaming (for text and calls only) and had a few days left on my BBMAX subscription. When I got to Singapore I was surprised that I can send and receive BBM whenever I am connected to Wi-Fi. Native apps like Twitter and Facebook also worked. But a few days later my BBMAX expired and my BBM, Twitter, & FB apps stopped working altogether.

So I think, the best way to save on expensive BB Data Roaming fees and maximize your BB device while abroad is to simply make sure that you're subscribed to your local provider's BIS before leaving the country... and once abroad you can use your BB per usual when you're connected to a Wi-Fi network. Try it and let me know if it will work for you!
    07-01-11 07:33 AM
    Hello! I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I've been in Singapore for 2 weeks now... Since i already have a Singtel prepaid sim card from my visits here before, what i did was to top it up with the singtel prepaid BB 3G you can check the FAQ's here:

If your phone is locked... what i did was to buy a BB unlocker online courtesy of Mr. gedubraks here in this forum... Believe me, it beats the **** out of roaming rates!

It's been a while since I checked in here and just read your reply, hehe. Thanks anyway

I thought about your suggestion too but since my BB is locked to Globe, I didn't wanna go thru all the hassle of unlocking and subscribing again.

While in Singapore, I got to use my BBM thru Wi-Fi, though. I was still subscribed to BBMAX that time and discovered that I can send and receive BBM when connected to a Wi-Fi network. It stopped working after my BBMAX subscription expired.
    07-01-11 07:54 AM
    does anyone know when the playbook would be released here?
    07-02-11 04:17 PM
    There's already a few being brought here by retailers from North America, but all of those are Wi-Fi only units. I don't think the 3G-also Playbooks have already been launched anywhere (and since you can tether the Wi-Fi only units the 3G units become redundant).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    derailed-7 likes this.
    07-02-11 09:00 PM
    The wi-fi playbooks aren't really a good investment. - Just my two cents.
    07-03-11 02:17 AM
    Double post.

Last edited by zuluwalker; 07-03-11 at 05:23 AM.
    07-03-11 05:21 AM
    Why do you think so? Share naman baka makatulong sa mga interested people

07-03-11 05:21 AM
    It's been a while since I checked in here and just read your reply, hehe. Thanks anyway

I thought about your suggestion too but since my BB is locked to Globe, I didn't wanna go thru all the hassle of unlocking and subscribing again.
    Unlocking your bb means you can insert sim cards asides from Globe.. Eg.. Take out ur globe card now and use a smart/sun/singtel sim

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-11 01:40 PM
    Agreed... A rushed product....

07-03-11 01:45 PM
    tanong po, anong magandang app pwede mag play ng radio??(blackberry bold 9000)..TIA..n_n
    07-03-11 05:53 PM
    Give TuneIn radio app a try. Excellent app that you can program to start automatically on a certain time and even do recordings.
    07-04-11 06:27 PM
    HI

I just want to clarify about BB services while on ROAMING

What you guy/s are saying that it stil works even if we are on roaming abroad?

Coz I had previously activated my globe prepaid BB service but wouldnt register, until i had to turn my GROAM off.

So now from your experience, we we have pre paid SIM on roaming, we can still have the BB services?
    07-05-11 09:31 PM
    Prepaid bis won't work on roaming.

07-05-11 09:34 PM
    Guys any recommended apps for monitoring the philippine stock exchange?

Thanks. Below is my pin.
    27323e90
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

07-05-11 10:59 PM
    i respect your opinion sir.

IMHO,

I'm already paying globe about 3k monthly just for internet, 2k for DSL, another 1k for unlimited internet with my BB. adding another 1k for unlimited internet for a playbook would cost me an additional 24K in 2 years,

with Wifi only, i can utilize my wifi at home, tether it with my blackberrry, and save 24k in 2 years, in which i could buy a new product (playbook 2?).

I'm looking forward for long term investments.

Now, anyone who knows its official release here?

I want to get one before EOM.
    07-06-11 05:46 AM
    hi all... just found out theres a thread for philippines bb user here,,
    still noob to blackberry units .. i got a pearl9105. dont know if i could ask this here, but would anybody happen to know which os6 have bundled "chinese pinyin" writing method...?

thanks guys
    07-08-11 09:37 AM
    Hello! I have a 9300 3G and currently subscribed to BBMAX999 of Globe. Problem is I couldn't view youtube videos anymore.

Error message: An error has occurred attempting to play media.

Streaming is fine when I'm connected to wifi. I tried asking for Globe's support, but they just kept on telling me to reboot my unit (which I did many times already). Please help, thank you.
    07-10-11 10:35 AM
    I got a Storm 2 9550 that I have unlocked. I am planning to send this back home . Anybody know,if this will work on a local carrrier? any first hand experience?

Cheers!
    07-13-11 02:43 AM
    I got a Storm 2 9550 that I have unlocked. I am planning to send this back home . Anybody know,if this will work on a local carrrier? any first hand experience?

Cheers!
    As long as its unlocked from your carrier and have the PIN released. It will work here in the Philippines.
    07-13-11 10:03 AM
    If a blackberry unit supports the local carriers' 2G (900/1800MHz) and 3G (2100MHz) frequencies and is not locked to a specific network you're good to go. Also make sure the PIN is also not registered to another user or else you'll be unable to use BIS on our local carriers.

If your unit came from a corporate environment it may have an IT Policy installed. Before I buy or recommend a BB device I always check the Buyer's Remorse subpage (alt+BUYR) in the Status Screen. An IT Policy will limit the functionality of your device due to the restrictions defined by the policy. Resetting to Factory Defaults using BBSAK usually does the trick along with a complete device wipe.

Last edited by zuluwalker; 07-14-11 at 09:49 AM.
    07-14-11 09:41 AM
    this thread which I started has gone a long way. I have gone to the dark side but i am rocking a blackberry once again!
    07-15-11 02:45 AM
    recently signed up to globe's prepaid social plan

adik sa bbm mode hehehe
    07-17-11 08:54 PM
    has anyone used prepaid bbmax on blackberry bridge?
    07-20-11 12:53 AM
    If a blackberry unit supports the local carriers' 2G (900/1800MHz) and 3G (2100MHz) frequencies and is not locked to a specific network you're good to go. Also make sure the PIN is also not registered to another user or else you'll be unable to use BIS on our local carriers.

If your unit came from a corporate environment it may have an IT Policy installed. Before I buy or recommend a BB device I always check the Buyer's Remorse subpage (alt+BUYR) in the Status Screen. An IT Policy will limit the functionality of your device due to the restrictions defined by the policy. Resetting to Factory Defaults using BBSAK usually does the trick along with a complete device wipe.

Good tip on alt-BUYR.
    thanks.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-20-11 01:04 PM
    @zuluwalker
    I read the official specs of the storm 2.
    Is the 3G compatible with local carriers?

Quad-Band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/
    EDGE networks
    Single-Band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-20-11 01:12 PM
9,279 ... 5657585960 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD