12-31-19 04:37 AM
9,279 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    Hi all. I am getting a BB postpaid plan from Globe soon (just preparing the needed papers), and so I have patiently read this forum from page 1 to end, hoping to familiarize myself with the device and with what I'm getting myself into.LOL

I admit, though, that I didn't understand everything I read, and a lot of gray areas remain, so I hope you guys can help me out. The following are my questions:

a. I'm planning to get the BB Plan 1599 with Glob[e, which has limited allocation for Internet stuff. In this case, can I just turn off the data service somewhere in the settings of my BB, so that I don't use up (and thus don't go over) the data allocation? This means I'd turn it on only when I need to go online. Yes, I know this defeats the whole purpose of having a BB device and maximizing its push messaging feature, but I'm really curious to understand how things work for a BB.

b. If I go over my Internet allocation, what is the charge? Is it P5 for 15 minutes, similar to timed browsing rate, or do they charge based on kb downloaded or something?

c. Can I use the supersurf 50 for BB even if I'm on postpaid?

Thanks guys in advance. Blackberry rules!
    09-09-10 11:19 PM
    =D Hi! I've had my BB for about a month and I am currently subscribed to the SMART network's BB monthly plan. Though at times the connection seems iffy in some locations, I'm pretty happy with the service. I'm testing it on a prepaid account and will register it under my existing postpaid account when the prepaid subscription ends. My question is, is the BB subscription of SMART better than that of Globe? I have a Globe postpaid line as well and since I'm due for my retention plan and was told to that I need to change my plan to their new plans (so I'm also contemplating on whether or not to get a BB plan) I was going to try registering to Globe's monthly BB plan too but since I need to switch my plan asap I just thought to ask the forum instead. I wanted to check if there's a resounding answer to which Telco has better BB subscription options as well as the pros & cons of each Telco. So far my Smart postpaid line can get better signal in most places but in Ayala Malls, seems like Globe has better reception. Can someone help me with this? =) Not sure if this info would be of help, but I also mainly use my BB for Twitter, Foursquare and Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, and BB Messenger. =) Thanks! =)
    Last edited by trissie; 09-12-10 at 04:17 AM.
    09-12-10 04:15 AM
    Hmmm... Yung nakalagay saken is still gprs. Sabi ng Globe activated na daw. Damn! Ilang days na blackberry ko, di pa nila inaayos lahat. Nakakabadtrip!

Yung Wi-Fi icon is still gray. Any solution for that?
    From your native browser, click your BB logo (its the one beside your trackpad) go to browser configuration, Beside the "Browser" click the drop down arrow and select hotspot browser.

Now go to a wifi hotspot, scan an available wifi and connect. You should be good browsing already.
    09-12-10 07:02 AM
    Hello!! For the past 2 mos I never encountered any problem with my BB subscription to Globe. But now I'm receiving poor signal at home. Signal always indicates I'm on GSM which should be GPRS or EDGE. I want a back-up plan because I usually talk with my BF at night using BBM because he lives in the US. We always have a fight now because he cant received my BBM messages. If i unlock my phone and use a Smart sim would it cost any problem? Do I have to create an e-mail account again or set my phone from the start? What i want is to switched sim in case there;s a poor signal and I cant use my BB services. Please help me!!
    09-16-10 10:57 AM
    KABAYANS I NEED HELP

I just brought couple of BBs from USA (ATT & T-Mobile) , I unlocked it by ordering the unlocked codes from the states. Now my problem is my WIFI connection. Its kinda connected but not really....its shows it's connected but there's no CHECK symbol so I cant surf the web, log in on Yahoo or log in at FB please advice on what to do. Thanks in advance
    09-16-10 06:33 PM
    i cannot change to globe becoz i cant change my number...

i know there is still a way for smart to do this, becoz globe can do it!
    try this:
    options>advanced options>check APN settings enabled then type blackberry.net for the APN.
    then go to >browser. set default browser configuration To Hotspot Browser

that should do the trick. that's what i did when i still had my smart line on. I switched to Globe now because their data plan is cheaper
    09-17-10 07:50 AM
    =D Hi! I've had my BB for about a month and I am currently subscribed to the SMART network's BB monthly plan. Though at times the connection seems iffy in some locations, I'm pretty happy with the service. I'm testing it on a prepaid account and will register it under my existing postpaid account when the prepaid subscription ends. My question is, is the BB subscription of SMART better than that of Globe? I have a Globe postpaid line as well and since I'm due for my retention plan and was told to that I need to change my plan to their new plans (so I'm also contemplating on whether or not to get a BB plan) I was going to try registering to Globe's monthly BB plan too but since I need to switch my plan asap I just thought to ask the forum instead. I wanted to check if there's a resounding answer to which Telco has better BB subscription options as well as the pros & cons of each Telco. So far my Smart postpaid line can get better signal in most places but in Ayala Malls, seems like Globe has better reception. Can someone help me with this? =) Not sure if this info would be of help, but I also mainly use my BB for Twitter, Foursquare and Facebook, Yahoo Messenger, and BB Messenger. =) Thanks! =)
    I used to be a smart line subscriber too, service wise, i'd still go with Smart. signal's always reliable anywhere in the Phil, what made me changed my mind and joined Globe is that Smarts' data plan is too darn expensive for me. I used to have Gold plan 1200 consumable and when i want to migrate to BB plan my bill would be gold plan 1200 consumable + 350 push email. So that's 1550 already. But if i want to use, say, twitter, fb or the likes i have to subscribe to their prepaid unlisurf for BB,(Smart doesn't have a BB plan as of press time ) which is 50(day), 300(week) or 1200(month). Just do the math if you want to maximize your BB usage. But with Globe, i have unlisurf for BB 1200 + unlicalls and unlitext 599. Hope this helps.
    09-17-10 08:15 AM
    i also switched to Globe. Utilizing BIS for prepaid. everything's working fine.
    09-20-10 04:42 AM
    hello im a newbie at this bb messenger thing... how do i use it? :P
    and can u help me with the email setup thing? im using globe as well
    09-21-10 08:33 AM
    i have bb curve 8520 can anyone relate?
    my bb was bought in kuwait, i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem
    09-21-10 08:35 AM
    Hi! Also a newbie on BBs. However, I already have my Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) activated yesterday. I'm with Globe btw. I have a plan 999, and since BIS activation costs about Php450, I'd be paying php1,449 per month. No data plan subscription since I have a consumable plan. Still thinking of getting a data plan but I'll see first how my bill goes. Hehe.
    09-22-10 02:47 AM
    i have bb curve 8520 can anyone relate?
    my bb was bought in kuwait, i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem
    Hi Poizondapol!

I also have a BB Curve 8520. You should call globe hotline to activate your Blackberry Internet Service. Only then could you use the BBM and other RIM applications (like FB or Twitter). if you are on postpaid they will charge you php450. Dunno about prepaid. Hehe
    The php450 is waived if you subscribed to their data plan (BB super surf and super surf max which costs about php1,200 and php1,500 repectively). That's on top of the plan. Hope this helps!
    09-22-10 02:55 AM
    Hi, I believe the 450 charge of Globe is just to activate the BIS and push emails (which DOES NOT include fb and twitter) but if you want to use fb and twitter you could do so just be sure your default browser configuration is set to HotSpot Browser and to turn WiFi on. For more detail configuration read my earlier post on this thread.
    09-22-10 08:31 PM
    To be able to use bbm you have to have a data plan or have your BIS activated that's the only time you can setup your email on your BB

There should be no problem wherever you brought your BB as long as you're the first owner. Coz there are cases here re: second hand BB's but that's another topic
    09-22-10 08:49 PM
    try this:
    options>advanced options>check APN settings enabled then type blackberry.net for the APN.
    then go to >browser. set default browser configuration To Hotspot Browser

that should do the trick. that's what i did when i still had my smart line on. I switched to Globe now because their data plan is cheaper

Clintocloud, is this a sure way that I will not be charged by smart with wifi? I want both mobile network ON, wifi ON, data services ON. So I can still do calls and text at the same time with wifi? Can I still access all sites if I changed my APN to this settings? Hw bout third party apps can stil use them to this settings and I will not be deducted. I think the others have already tried this but still the data goes thru smarts gprs and not to wifi!
    So I think doing this will not solve smarts problem. My question why does globe can do this and why smart cannot! Kindly see their service books and I think the answer
    Is there globe doesn't have the WAP2 TRANSPORT, which makes the phone look for smart gprs even wifi signal is available. So anyone who can help me with this?
    09-25-10 08:18 AM
    Thanks!!! =)
    09-26-10 10:11 AM
    how do i make push email work? sorry, can't really understand it. i'm a new bb user. by the way, i'm using globe...
    09-26-10 11:01 PM
    Hi all. I am getting a BB postpaid plan from Globe soon (just preparing the needed papers), and so I have patiently read this forum from page 1 to end, hoping to familiarize myself with the device and with what I'm getting myself into.LOL

I admit, though, that I didn't understand everything I read, and a lot of gray areas remain, so I hope you guys can help me out. The following are my questions:

a. I'm planning to get the BB Plan 1599 with Glob[e, which has limited allocation for Internet stuff. In this case, can I just turn off the data service somewhere in the settings of my BB, so that I don't use up (and thus don't go over) the data allocation? This means I'd turn it on only when I need to go online. Yes, I know this defeats the whole purpose of having a BB device and maximizing its push messaging feature, but I'm really curious to understand how things work for a BB.

b. If I go over my Internet allocation, what is the charge? Is it P5 for 15 minutes, similar to timed browsing rate, or do they charge based on kb downloaded or something?

c. Can I use the supersurf 50 for BB even if I'm on postpaid?

Thanks guys in advance. Blackberry rules!
    Hey there,

the plan 1599 gives you 30mb i believe. It should be enough if you set properly configure your emails. Set AUTO MORE to NO, set HTML emails to OFF and Automatically download images to OFF. Every email you get should be around 2KB. If you dont do facebook or twitter and simply respond to emails, you probably wont go over the 30mb allocation.

Go over and itll be like 15 cents per kb

I think you can use supersurf 50 but it never worked with my cousin's. Only the 220 worked with her.
    09-27-10 01:08 AM
    anybody knows where i can have the lcd of my bb (8520) repaired here in the philippines?

thanks in advance
    You can order a new LCD online. iPhone accessories - BlackBerry accessories - Buy Discount Cell Phone Accessories at Wholesale Price or - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry, BenQ-Siemens - Cellular

Lots of videos around on taking your BB apart. search youtube

If you're too scared, you can try looking @ greenhills
    09-27-10 01:13 AM
    I'd go for smart. They have more cell sites hence coverage. Also they have 3G almost everywhere in manila. Globe's 3G sucks. All my friends are globe so i cant switch
    09-27-10 01:16 AM
    Hello!! For the past 2 mos I never encountered any problem with my BB subscription to Globe. But now I'm receiving poor signal at home. Signal always indicates I'm on GSM which should be GPRS or EDGE. I want a back-up plan because I usually talk with my BF at night using BBM because he lives in the US. We always have a fight now because he cant received my BBM messages. If i unlock my phone and use a Smart sim would it cost any problem? Do I have to create an e-mail account again or set my phone from the start? What i want is to switched sim in case there;s a poor signal and I cant use my BB services. Please help me!!
    Would suggest you get wifi. Even if its on GSM , if you have wifi BBM should work.
    09-27-10 01:18 AM
    KABAYANS I NEED HELP

I just brought couple of BBs from USA (ATT & T-Mobile) , I unlocked it by ordering the unlocked codes from the states. Now my problem is my WIFI connection. Its kinda connected but not really....its shows it's connected but there's no CHECK symbol so I cant surf the web, log in on Yahoo or log in at FB please advice on what to do. Thanks in advance
    Options->wifi

highlight your WIFI's network name

press the blackberry button (left of the trackpad/ball)

wifi tools-->Ping

change to Wi-Fi Gateway

press the blackberry button again and send ping. Do this around 3 or 4 times and should eventually connect

btw, if you dont have blackberry service, this wont work
    09-27-10 01:23 AM
    how do i make push email work? sorry, can't really understand it. i'm a new bb user. by the way, i'm using globe...
    kapag prepaid ka ng globe, send BB ON to 8888. you're going to need a computer para mairegister mo un PIN and IMEI mo sa system.

if postpaid ka, ull have to call customer service.
    09-27-10 12:11 PM
    BB plan 1599 is their unlisurf plan for BB that includes video streaming (you tube browsing) i was just wondering why you feel the need to turn your data services off. I, for one is on BB unlisurf (that's their 1200/mo) i'm always online, never logged-out of fb, twitter and yahoo messenger. I always check my post here on CB via the native browser, my friends would borrow my BB if they wanna check on their fb or if they need to access the www if there is no available computer or laptop. What I'm trying to say here is that the plan you wish to get the is the best way to maximize your BB experience so why do you need turn off the data services? Don't worry about going over your data allocation coz you won't. In my case, i only go over my plan subscription because of calls and text i made to other networks (i.e. smart, sun and landline calls) but not the data allocation. Hope this helps.
    09-27-10 07:52 PM
    Clintocloud, is this a sure way that I will not be charged by smart with wifi? I want both mobile network ON, wifi ON, data services ON. So I can still do calls and text at the same time with wifi? Can I still access all sites if I changed my APN to this settings? Hw bout third party apps can stil use them to this settings and I will not be deducted. I think the others have already tried this but still the data goes thru smarts gprs and not to wifi!
    So I think doing this will not solve smarts problem. My question why does globe can do this and why smart cannot! Kindly see their service books and I think the answer
    Is there globe doesn't have the WAP2 TRANSPORT, which makes the phone look for smart gprs even wifi signal is available. So anyone who can help me with this?
    klintoncloud, can you pls answer me on my question on this?
    09-27-10 09:49 PM
9,279 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD