I think if ever the BIS goes down, the only thing that'll go down is BBM. Unlike before the entire data of BB. So it's kind of beneficial to data intensive users.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 12:09 AM
    Yep. No more outage problems.

Posted via CB10 STL-100-1 Globe PH
    03-14-13 12:13 AM
    Bis' cheaper to say the least
    But hey, if the z10's worth it...people are probably going to buy it
    03-14-13 01:05 AM
    Why is it no longer exclusive if you don't have bis? What makes bis so special?

Having bis means more than just having a more secure connection. It also entails being part of the "blackberry" crowd. Here in the Philippines not many understand what that means because bis is actually cheaper than having a regular data plan. But on other countries, bis is much more expensive than a regular data plan. So having a connected blackberry device to a bis connection means you're somewhat already above everyone else.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2
    03-14-13 01:19 AM
    BIS is just for compressing data.... there's nothing EXCLUSIVE about it.

If you want HD streaming, video uploads etc. BIS cannot handle that..
    Bis is exclusive because it runs on black berry's own server. It doesn't just compress data. It also encrypts it. That's the main reason why blackberry has been the choice for corporate phones even until now.

03-14-13 01:22 AM
    There. The reason why bis is exclusive...

http://blog.triniberry.com/2011/04/h...service-works/

This also means that if bis were to shut down, only your browser would work.

03-14-13 01:29 AM
    Folks.

Please do not confuse BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) with Blackberry Servers..

True that when BB phones are using BIS they are connected to Blackberry Servers, but it is still the same if it is a different DATA PLAN (That's the reason why BBM works on Z10 running on unlisurf 999).

The link you gave just solidifies the argument, to Quote

"Features of BlackBerry Internet Service -
    •Integration of up to 10 email accounts
    •Synchronize contacts (not all email accounts)
    •Attachment viewing (JPEG, BMP, TIFF, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Corel, WordPerfect, Adobe PDF)
    •Access to BlackBerry Messenger Services
    •PIN Messaging
    •Access to BlackBerry App World
    •Internet Access (compressed data"

All of that can be done with the Z10 minus data compression (As was my previous point)...

Also for the concern that it "encrypts" data, that is actually a different point entirely... encryption is done on device and endpoint vice versa...

BlackBerry 10 Receives FIPS 140-2 Security Certification Ahead of Launch �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

So for both comments..
    -Blackberry 10 STILL connects to BB servers
    -Blackberry 10 devices STILL encrypts same with legacy OS
    -BIS is only good for BBM in BB10 as I believe that's the only service left that needs the servers

I may have left out some other details but that should be enough
    03-14-13 02:25 AM
    Having bis means more than just having a more secure connection. It also entails being part of the "blackberry" crowd. Here in the Philippines not many understand what that means because bis is actually cheaper than having a regular data plan. But on other countries, bis is much more expensive than a regular data plan. So having a connected blackberry device to a bis connection means you're somewhat already above everyone else.

So being elitist is what it's all about? If your concerned about being connected using an expensive data plan just don't register for any and use the per kb or per minute consumption. That way you can boast to your friends that you have so much money that you don't use unlidata plans.

I seriously do not get your post man. Not to be antagonistic but I think if you have a BlackBerry and you can bbm your already part of the "BlackBerry" crowd whatever that means.

In the bigger picture the z10 will have to use the much more expensive 999 unlisurf plan instead of the 599 bbmax plan. So its still elitist if you need that. Not to mention the 30k peso price tag for a z10

03-14-13 02:30 AM
    Bis is exclusive because it runs on black berry's own server. It doesn't just compress data. It also encrypts it. That's the main reason why blackberry has been the choice for corporate phones even until now.

BlackBerry still encrypts your data. Heck there's even an option on the z10 to encrypt data that hasn't even left your phone then. (device and media card encryption)

Also if BlackBerry no longer encrypts data why would the german government use it for their federal agents? Why is the z10 fips certified? The highest possible security certification achievable? That the CIA and the NSA themselves use?

PH_BB likes this.
    03-14-13 02:33 AM
    I have device encryption turned on. IMHO maybe encryption is already done on the device than the servers. Previously, BlackBerry hardware isn't that fast.

For compression, note that while it does shrink data, it kills quality. Most Web technology now is graphical in nature and people would want more eye candy. Though I really hope compression can be done client side. Who know, maybe later we'd be faster hardware.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 08:02 AM
    So, being in Globe and going to get the LTE enabled postpaid sim, you guys are saying if I have an STL100-1, I'm out of luck and no LTE or higher speed than 3G for me?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 07:15 AM
    @Varadigm

unfortunately yes . Even if you get an LTE enabled microsim, variant 1 has no radio for 4G frequency band. If that has a return policy, try and change it .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-16-13 08:23 AM
    So, being in Globe and going to get the LTE enabled postpaid sim, you guys are saying if I have an STL100-1, I'm out of luck and no LTE or higher speed than 3G for me?

Posted via CB10
    If you can't replace that to a LTE version, then you might as well go with smart. Smart is better than Globe, in terms of 3G or H+ coverage.
    03-16-13 12:08 PM
    If you can't replace that to a LTE version, then you might as well go with smart. Smart is better than Globe, in terms of 3G or H+ coverage.
    This is true. There are a lot of hspa dead spots with globe. And the z10 isn't at all **** poor at getting phone signals.

I'd wager that lte is still too expensive at this point (very low data cap to mbps ratio) so don't worry too much if you don't have lte for now. Just get the next generation bb10 phone 1 or 2 years down the line.

03-16-13 06:05 PM
    Globe's infrastructure upgrade isn't complete yet btw (base on memos sent via sms). Lte is only available in some areas- Makati and Eastwood to name a few.

Yeah get Smart sim nalang.
    03-16-13 07:51 PM
    Smart All-In Postpaid users question will blackberry full 599 work on Z10 or do I need to register for UnliSurlf? Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 12:32 AM
    Globe's infrastructure upgrade isn't complete yet btw (base on memos sent via sms). Lte is only available in some areas- Makati and Eastwood to name a few.

Yeah get Smart sim nalang.
    To be honest, I'm not too drilled up about LTE. I just complete and steady 3G coverage at least. Meaning when I go down Buendia flyover towards Makati, there's signal for H+ but no data at all. I don't want stuff like that happening. Because things like bbm will be running well if I don't have such issues.

I dropped my phone on the sidewalk once and it has scratches on the bezel so I don't think I can just exchange it. I'll wait for Q10 if anything because hopefully by then, we'll know what's good - Globe or Smart for these things.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:42 AM
    LTE is more efficient vs 3G when it comes to battery usage. That's why US people have longer battery life.

But i agree on the part that 3G is good already. Although it's nice to have the option to switch to LTe when possible
    03-17-13 07:25 AM
    LTE is more efficient vs 3G when it comes to battery usage. That's why US people have longer battery life.

But i agree on the part that 3G is good already. Although it's nice to have the option to switch to LTe when possible
    Isn't LTE sucks more battery than 3G?
    anon(4086706) likes this.
    03-17-13 08:43 AM

Like how? I understand that the super fast speed would make polling for services and updates instantaneous but with the relatively limited lte coverage we have it seems that we have no choice but to fall back to 3g.

Furthermore the people in the us tend to turn off their lte. So it doesn't make sense to attribute better battery life to lte. Maybe all the rejects they sent back are being sent here. Lol!!

03-17-13 09:08 AM
    Don't worry, once LTE matures, it'll be like late 3G all over again.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10 CB App
    03-17-13 10:52 AM
    Don't worry, once LTE matures, it'll be like late 3G all over again.

Given the slow pace of our networks sometimes ( what they have isn't really really 4G) I'm assuming network maturity for for 4G will be at least one product cycle later. Hehehe. Maybe I can get the q10 then lols.

03-17-13 04:08 PM
    Like how? I understand that the super fast speed would make polling for services and updates instantaneous but with the relatively limited lte coverage we have it seems that we have no choice but to fall back to 3g.

Furthermore the people in the us tend to turn off their lte. So it doesn't make sense to attribute better battery life to lte. Maybe all the rejects they sent back are being sent here. Lol!!

I incorrectly stated it. Efficiency on data per milliampere-hr (MAH), and not on battery savings.

LTE is more efficient in data handling VS 3G. LTe has higher data volume (information) crammed inside the radio waves as compared to 3G, so for the same amount of usage (i.e. Emails and Browsing on same website), LTE will load it faster than 3G, 3G has significant losses (attenuation).

That said, you theoretically can get your browsing and internet needs for a shorter amount of time it takes compared to 3G and that makes battery usage efficient per se.
    anon(4086706) likes this.
    03-17-13 06:32 PM
    BTW,

For all you Z10 owners here. Do you still keep a spare or backup or secondary phone since switching to Z10?

I have BOld9900 w/ extra battery and am planning to let go of it when I have my Z10 but reading about battery issues is making me think twice about letting the 9900 go.

Any of you know if there are sellers here in the country that sell the battery bundle for z10?
    03-17-13 07:23 PM
    None at the moment sadly. I'm waiting for Shop BlackBerry for PH to go live. I want to buy directly there.

03-17-13 07:28 PM
9,279 ... 8990919293 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD