I see. You should try it without being registered to the service. See for yourself if it works. My theory is that registering for the service globe leaves "Something" on the phone that makes you eligible for wifi usage.

Posted via CB10
    for legacy phones, if you are not registered to bis, bbm over wifi doesn't work. but if you are registered, it will work over wifi anywhere in the world.
    03-12-13 07:33 AM
    For globe bbmax599 yes it works on z10 but only because it has an accompanying unlidata plan. Only bbm goes through the legacy noc which bis uses. All else goes through regular data.

On globe you only get an 800 mb data cap from bbmax599. But on unlisurf 999 you get a 1.5 gig data cap. This difference is huge in the long run so I extremely recommend the normal data plan.

There is a website you can search from Google wherein you can print out a 1:1 converter for a regular sim to micro sim. I did it when I upgraded from my 9900. It's very easy and costs you only some ink and one piece of paper. Be very careful when cutting it by yourself though and follow the instructions. Also NEVER print the said document fit to page. Always print it 1:1 scale so you get the proper dimensions.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 08:05 AM
    I was under the impression once you got Z10 you won't need any other phone. Anyway...

I talked to GLOBE, BBMAX is no longer supported for BB10, if you use it, it will charge on top of the subscription everytime you use internet via the APN.

YOu mentioned BBM working flawlessly, does that mean it works BBM Z10 to Legacy devices (9900).

I am currently on a 9900 also and am thinking of getting the Z10 this month, that's why i am checking with Pinoy users to get their feedback.

Any negatives at all? Hub? Bugs?
    How would GLOBE know if you are using a Z10 instead of a BB legacy device?
    03-12-13 08:30 AM
    How would GLOBE know if you are using a Z10 instead of a BB legacy device?
    They ask for your imei and bbpin.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2
    03-12-13 08:39 AM
    For globe bbmax599 yes it works on z10 but only because it has an accompanying unlidata plan. Only bbm goes through the legacy noc which bis uses. All else goes through regular data.

On globe you only get an 800 mb data cap from bbmax599. But on unlisurf 999 you get a 1.5 gig data cap. This difference is huge in the long run so I extremely recommend the normal data plan.

There is a website you can search from Google wherein you can print out a 1:1 converter for a regular sim to micro sim. I did it when I upgraded from my 9900. It's very easy and costs you only some ink and one piece of paper. Be very careful when cutting it by yourself though and follow the instructions. Also NEVER print the said document fit to page. Always print it 1:1 scale so you get the proper dimensions.

Posted via CB10
    i suggest getting it from globe or smart, it just costs p40/sim.
    03-12-13 08:56 AM
    They ask for your imei and bbpin.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2
    Why would GLOBE ask for your IMEI & BB pin? And Why would you give your BB10 IMEI & BB pin, if they're going to charge you 999 instead of 599 for unlisurf?
    03-12-13 10:58 AM
    I couldn't go the ask from globe or smart route since I'm working from the province.

You would give your imei and bbpin because sometimes the bis connection bugs out the z10 data. Also the extra pesos spent goes to a higher data cap so it's all good in the end.

I would imagine you thinking that using the cheaper bbmax599 option but sadly the z10 isn't really made to work with the legacy connection.

Posted via CB10 STL-100-1 Globe PH
    03-12-13 11:23 AM
    I couldn't go the ask from globe or smart route since I'm working from the province.

You would give your imei and bbpin because sometimes the bis connection bugs out the z10 data. Also the extra pesos spent goes to a higher data cap so it's all good in the end.

I would imagine you thinking that using the cheaper bbmax599 option but sadly the z10 isn't really made to work with the legacy connection.

BBMAX 599 only have 800mb cap, Where did you get this info? AFAIK only GLOBE prepaid subscriber have 800mb capping
    03-12-13 11:39 AM
    I am a globe prepaid subscriber. I got the info because I accidentally left my podcast app running overnight. So it downloaded everything. Globe sent me a text regarding its fair use policies which told me of the 800 mb cap.

AFAIK the data cap is the same for prepaid and postpaid consumers.

03-12-13 12:25 PM
    bis works on os10, but you don't need bis if ever. you only need data.
    Thank you, but to do you have a idea whether or not if i insert my sim into a z10 and regisretered for a bb social plan would it still work? |it worries me to know that should z10 use a data plan, it'll eat up a lot of my battery life when im on 3g. Do u still manually refresh fb and twitter to get updates? I think im going to miss the instant push notif by d old blackberry models
    03-12-13 12:26 PM
    You can't use limited bis plans on the z10. Only full fledged unlidata plans. I know this may sound bad especially for us Pinoys since we want to save money as much as possible but unfortunately this is how the new Os works. This is the price to pay for using the latest and greatest BlackBerry to date.

Fb and twitter still do update real time. However Fb updates would depend if you've placed your contacts on a list such as close friends or family. As far as I know Fb only pushes updates from these contacts as well as favorite groups. This is how Fb works so far on desktop or mobile so it's the same deal. Messages friend requests and certain game requests (those which you haven't blocked yet) still show up as notifications on your hub.

twitter no longer pushes updates to you when you have unread tweets. You have to open the twitter app for that. Once you do however it automatically refreshes your feed. Mentions and dms still work and show up on your hub.

raymondper likes this.
    03-12-13 12:43 PM
    Do not worry about battery life too. I get 6-8 hours with moderate use. That's on hspa+ network. With the latest update (which I have to test yet) its touted that you can even go 14-24 hours on a single charge and that's with max brightness and lte/ wifi on all day. Ultimately your mileage may vary.

03-12-13 12:46 PM
    You can't use limited bis plans on the z10. Only full fledged unlidata plans. I know this may sound bad especially for us Pinoys since we want to save money as much as possible but unfortunately this is how the new Os works. This is the price to pay for using the latest and greatest BlackBerry to date.

Fb and twitter still do update real time. However Fb updates would depend if you've placed your contacts on a list such as close friends or family. As far as I know Fb only pushes updates from these contacts as well as favorite groups. This is how Fb works so far on desktop or mobile so it's the same deal. Messages friend requests and certain game requests (those which you haven't blocked yet) still show up as notifications on your hub.

twitter no longer pushes updates to you when you have unread tweets. You have to open the twitter app for that. Once you do however it automatically refreshes your feed. Mentions and dms still work and show up on your hub.

Ohh. Just to repeat (hopefully i got it right) for fb.. i only get REAL TIME notifs from the people on my special list? For twitter... no more REAL TIME notifs for mentions? I have to manually refresh eveything?
    03-12-13 12:55 PM
    Yep only from special lists. This is fbs fault and while annoying we have to live with it.

For twitter you get mentions and dms in real time right on your hub. Cool eh?

03-12-13 12:58 PM
    "Do not worry about battery life too. I get 6-8 hours with moderate use. That's on hspa+ network. With the latest update (which I have to test yet) its touted that you can even go 14-24 hours on a single charge and that's with max brightness and lte/ wifi on all day. Ultimately your mileage may vary. "

-wow! im kind of torn and having doubts getting the z10 for this reason: push notifs. ive been with bb the last 3yrs. ive switched in between ios/android but i still have the bb with me bcos of the push notifs. dont need to be on 3g everytime and i get all the notifs from fb and mentions from twitter. battery lasts for 2-3 days w/o charging and i dont need to open the mobile data to get real time updates.
    03-12-13 01:25 PM
    Yep only from special lists. This is fbs fault and while annoying we have to live with it.

For twitter you get mentions and dms in real time right on your hub. Cool eh?

Cool! Fb notif not real time i can live but twitter mentions hours late?
    ..not so much deal breaker is that i have to have my mobile data on
    03-12-13 01:36 PM
    Wtf guys? I keep saying that you do get push notifications for twitter. How are you misinterpreting this????

Once logged onto twitter you get all your mentions and dms REAL TIME.

You can still go the edge/2g route on the phone if you really want to extend battery life by days. I use that mode when I have to conserve battery for the a couple extra hours.

There have been reports wherein people who use 2g exclusively on the phone get up to 24 hours minimum battery life. Of course the more data intensive stuff like pictures and the like will arrive more slowly due to the slower band with but if you can live with that people have been known to take advantage of the battery this way.

03-12-13 01:44 PM
    Wtf guys? I keep saying that you do get push notifications for twitter. How are you misinterpreting this????

Once logged onto twitter you get all your mentions and dms REAL TIME.

You can still go the edge/2g route on the phone if you really want to extend battery life by days. I use that mode when I have to conserve battery for the a couple extra hours.

There have been reports wherein people who use 2g exclusively on the phone get up to 24 hours minimum battery life. Of course the more data intensive stuff like pictures and the like will arrive more slowly due to the slower band with but if you can live with that people have been known to take advantage of the battery this way.

haha. guess this reply's for me. no misinterpretation here, just making sure i get the right infos re: z10 =) | just merely saying that id rather have late notifs on fb than twitter. also, i understand that this is a new platform, kinda sucks that one needs to be on constant mobile data to get feeds (fb, twitter,mails/s, etc) unlike in os7 where you can leave your phone for hours/days at a time and get updates in real time. thanks for the infos =)
    03-12-13 03:30 PM
    What am I missing here Raymond? Hahaha. In my experience its still the same real time updates. Not sure how you are reading mobile data but bis is mobile data just data that goes through blackberries servers. Now data goes directly to whoever. Same dice. Hahaha. The user experience has not changed one bit.

03-12-13 03:52 PM
    hehe. =) yes, BIS is STILL mobile data but since its specifically designed for BB, id rather call it bis and mobile data for android/ios. =)
    | anyway, what i like about BB is that you can subscribe to BIS without the fear of draining your battery life at an hour's time. you dont have to constantly turn on and off your mobile connection; and with BIS, one receives updates from fb/twitter w/o manually refreshing the apps. that is why knowing whether or not bbmax can still be used with the z10 still is a big deal for a lot of bb users (including me). user experience aside, why would i buy a BB when i can get the same thing with an ios and android on a similar regular internet plan? having your phone (apple,android,bb) on constant internet/mobile data connection certainly eats a lot of your juice. =)

honestly, i should have bought a z10 weeks ago but conflicting reports, articles and actual user experience has affected my decision. articles say you cant use your BIS with the z10 but back reading posts here tell me that as of the moment, they are able to use their z10 with pre-existing BIS plans.

help me, im confused =))
    Last edited by raymondper; 03-12-13 at 04:56 PM.
    03-12-13 04:43 PM
    You can achieve the same result of instant updates with the normal data plan even on legacy 2g networks. I've found that bbm still works fast on edge. As for worrying about battery the z10 battery life is very excellent post update. It automatically switches over to 3g or 2g when it doesn't require a fast connection. I get 12-18 hours battery life now on a single charge. I am a moderate to heavy user I have hundreds of bbm contacts and I email call text a lot as well as use the browser for hd YouTube as well as stalking the cb forums using cb10.

Bis is working on globe for now but I suspect that since I'm on bbmax599 the phone just used the unlidata part of the plan. I suspect globe and smart will disable this on launch day.

Additionally I know for a fact that bbm still runs through blackberries severs or noc gateways. So there's that.

03-12-13 05:10 PM
    thanks sarah! appreciate the time and effort answering my queries! only problem now is waiting for the launch date =)
    03-12-13 06:21 PM
    All,

BIS is different from the regular data plans as BIS compresses data (i.e. lesser data when surfing etc.). As you may have noticed the Z10 is data extensive (like Iphones and Anroids), that said, BIS won't be enough per se to provide for the data Z10 needs for ideal use (Max use of services) as videos etc cannot be compressed.

Unlike legacy devices (OS 7 below), which only uses push mail and mostly BBM, both of which are not data extensive - BIS is sufficient.

From my readings, I can say that both still uses Blackberry servers, there is just a difference in architecture when connecting to blackberry servers from BB10 vs Legacy OS.

I also am confused about BBMAX599 working on Z10 as i have talked to GLOBE reps and they informed me that BBMAX599 will be charged on top of data you use on the Z10.
    03-12-13 06:40 PM
    I am a globe prepaid subscriber. I got the info because I accidentally left my podcast app running overnight. So it downloaded everything. Globe sent me a text regarding its fair use policies which told me of the 800 mb cap.

AFAIK the data cap is the same for prepaid and postpaid consumers.

I'm on BB unlisurf 999 with 400 consumables, and I never experience such 800mb capping. I used to tether my bb to a laptop and download almost 1gb file once in awhile.

My sister uses globe prepaid, and she also received sms from globe regarding those fair usage policy.
    03-12-13 10:13 PM
    Well if you are on a 999 plan you do get upgraded to a 1.5 gig data cap. So that could be why you were able to download that.

03-12-13 10:31 PM
9,279 ... 8788899091 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD