I will probably get the supersurf plan later on but it's just not convenient for me right now. So yes, I will be turning off the data connection unless I am within range of a wifi network and will just use it as a regular call/text phone in such cases. I'm usually within a wifi network unless I'm on the road anyway. Does using the net over wifi charge kbs still?

Also, if BIS service is part of the carrier's plan, does that mean I can't switch sims without losing the capability to check email, etc?
    I've been reading your posts on this thread and i've come to the conclusion that you are dead set on not getting bis and only availing of the services through wifi.
    ok...
    a. NO BIS= no Push email
    b. You can get IM+ or Beejive ( around $40 ) to IM over wifi. No BBM though
    c. Again, no Push Email, but you can download Logicmail(free) to get your emails (fetch only)

If you really want push email then you are S.O.L.
    Either you:
    a. Get BIS
    b. Get an android/iphone (both of their wifi works across any apps unlike BB)

the BB ON 1200 = Supersurf for blackberry. Exactly the same thing
    except its available via text.

and i agree with @varadigm. You wont be surfing on a bb. Its only good for communicating. For surfing, get an android/iphone. surfing on bb is a pain in the ....
    05-29-10 12:45 AM
    and i agree with @varadigm. You wont be surfing on a bb. Its only good for communicating. For surfing, get an android/iphone. surfing on bb is a pain in the ....
    I wouldn't say pain in the ..... lol
    But, well, yes, it is difficult at times. But you can solve that problem using BOLT Browser, or Opera Mobile. However, I think using those browsers will put you on those kb charges. Could be wrong though.
    05-29-10 01:38 PM
    I've been reading your posts on this thread and i've come to the conclusion that you are dead set on not getting bis and only availing of the services through wifi.
    ok...
    a. NO BIS= no Push email
    b. You can get IM+ or Beejive ( around $40 ) to IM over wifi. No BBM though
    c. Again, no Push Email, but you can download Logicmail(free) to get your emails (fetch only)

If you really want push email then you are S.O.L.
    Either you:
    a. Get BIS
    b. Get an android/iphone (both of their wifi works across any apps unlike BB)

the BB ON 1200 = Supersurf for blackberry. Exactly the same thing
    except its available via text.

Just saw your post man! You couldn't control it no? lol. Goodluck!
    05-31-10 06:27 AM
    Hi All!

Do we have a pinoy forum about blackberries(games&apps/tips/tricks) ? What games do you have on your phone(since paid app world is not yet available in the phils)?

Sorry for the OT. ^_^
    05-31-10 08:23 PM
    Hi All!

Do we have a pinoy forum about blackberries(games&apps/tips/tricks) ? What games do you have on your phone(since paid app world is not yet available in the phils)?

Sorry for the OT. ^_^
    I think this is pretty pinoy enough already my friend. Not a day goes by that I see atleast one or two posts in tagalog and I kill myself for not knowing what's being said lol
    05-31-10 11:20 PM
    good thing i found this site dami bb expert!! i just got my bold 9700 yesterday and am having a hard time setting it up.
    this is what i have in mind:
    i'll have my globe post paid in the bb and i'll activate globe bis.
    but instead of using 3g/edge from globe i'll access my wifi running a sun cell data plan.
    is this possible? and will i incur any data charges from globe if i do it this way?
    will i get full functionality from the bb? push email, ym, facebook, etc?

thanks!!
    06-02-10 11:40 PM
    Sun does not support BIS yet. Without bis, phone's function will be very basic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 11:43 PM
    Sun does not support BIS yet. Without bis, phone's function will be very basic.

thanks blacklighter. would you know if globe will let me have bis w/o paying a monthly data plan? if its possible that they just charge /kb base on the actual usage.
    06-03-10 10:37 AM
    I used to just pay 400 for bis and I get charged for every kb I used. I am not sure if they still have it.you are better off calling them or checking their website.

Word of warning though, with that kind of plan, you will be prone to high data charges! I once paid 16k on data alone because I wasn't on unlimited. Blackberries use up a lot of data. If you are unwilling to pay for unlimited bis and solely rely on wifi, I suggest getting a different phone to avoid sky high charges. Blackberries are meant to be used with data all the time and everytime. That's the only way you will enjoy the phone.

06-03-10 10:41 AM
    hi guys! new here! globe prepaid bis subscriber
    06-05-10 09:47 AM
    I should have a 9700 now but I opted the Globe Handset because they will not exchange the unit if may factory defect so I decided to get from black market.
    Tomorrow I should have 1..

Can you guide me how to use the Globe BIS prepaid?

Thanks..
    06-08-10 04:13 AM
    I should have a 9700 now but I opted the Globe Handset because they will not exchange the unit if may factory defect so I decided to get from black market.
    Tomorrow I should have 1..

Can you guide me how to use the Globe BIS prepaid?

Thanks..
    Fortunately for you, BIS Prepaid is the best thing out there. I don't know why everyone above is getting so confused about kb usage, etc.

Anyway, I suggest trying a BIS activation for a month (because sometimes at the end of the month, Globe forgets to deactivate you ) If you do, all you need to do is go get prepaid load of 1,200PHP. (assuming you have some extra load for calls/texts).

Once you have atleast 1,200PHP load, text:

Code:
    BB ON 1200
    to:

Code:
    A text message from Globe will confirm that your BIS will activate. Usually it activates within 3-5 minutes. If it doesn't, I suggest taking out your battery, leaving it out for a minute, and then plugging back in. And if it still doesn't activate, then wait for 24 hours as the text from Globe states.
    Good luck!
    06-08-10 08:14 AM
    Hey, guys.

I'm new here, just have a question to ask.

I haven't had my BB for a long time. I got it only a few months ago. Within those months, I've subscribed for the actual BB service (Globe prepaid; BB ON to 8888) also only a few times, five at the most. I also only subscribed to the one day plan.

I know the biggest part of the BB is having a BIS service. The thing is though, until recently, I've been able to use all - and I mean, all: apps, services, and whatnot - through wifi. I was receiving all my emails, using the browser without having to configure it to the hotspot browser setting, messaging over BBM, using the Facebook app, etc.

I don't know what happened, but last week, things started to mess up. So, a couple of days ago, I called Globe and asked. Although I insisted and let them know about my experience, they reassured me that I couldn't use much without the BIS. I know the latter is the normal or standard behavior. So, my question is, do you guys have any idea how I was able to bypass it?

I barely know anything about BlackBerries. This is my first one, and from the moment I got home from buying the phone and setting up the wifi, until about a week ago, this was how I was maximizing my BB.

I don't know how possible it is, but I sure would want to keep it the way it was working. I can barely do jack right now. I can't even use UberTwitter.
    Last edited by c_dg; 06-08-10 at 01:50 PM.
    06-08-10 01:46 PM
    Hey, guys.

I'm new here, just have a question to ask.

I haven't had my BB for a long time. I got it only a few months ago. Within those months, I've subscribed for the actual BB service (Globe prepaid; BB ON to 8888) also only a few times, five at the most. I also only subscribed to the one day plan.

I know the biggest part of the BB is having a BIS service. The thing is though, until recently, I've been able to use all - and I mean, all: apps, services, and whatnot - through wifi. I was receiving all my emails, using the browser without having to configure it to the hotspot browser setting, messaging over BBM, using the Facebook app, etc.

I don't know what happened, but last week, things started to mess up. So, a couple of days ago, I called Globe and asked. Although I insisted and let them know about my experience, they reassured me that I couldn't use much without the BIS. I know the latter is the normal or standard behavior. So, my question is, do you guys have any idea how I was able to bypass it?

I barely know anything about BlackBerries. This is my first one, and from the moment I got home from buying the phone and setting up the wifi, until about a week ago, this was how I was maximizing my BB.

I don't know how possible it is, but I sure would want to keep it the way it was working. I can barely do jack right now. I can't even use UberTwitter.
    Hey,

I thought I typed this somewhere up there about Globe's incompetency, but I guess I didn't. Anyway, there's this thing about Globe (which truth be told, is loved). Sometimes, some very weird times, Globe forgets to switch you off after this prepaid BIS 'plan' expires. So a one day plan might not end at the end of the day and might continue for the next week or month or year, if you're lucky.

You're not the first and I hope to God you ain't the last. Sadly, didn't happen to me, but seen it happen to a few others. I'd say turn it on for another day and cross your fingers.
    06-10-10 01:41 AM
    hey is there prepaid service with data??

i dont really want just bbm and facebook..lol...i actually want to search stuff if i need to...

and if i got to manila but then iloilo for a few days...i would have to get another sim???

from canada btw
    06-10-10 01:56 PM
    hi guys... I'm a new BB user here...

i have a Globe-locked BB. If I got my BB unlocked, can I use the apps like YM, facebook, twitter, etc. (apps that run through BIS) through wi-fi?

thanks a bunch!
    06-11-10 09:04 AM
    hi guys... I'm a new BB user here...

i have a Globe-locked BB. If I got my BB unlocked, can I use the apps like YM, facebook, twitter, etc. (apps that run through BIS) through wi-fi?

thanks a bunch!
    Unlocking has nothing to do with wifi or BIS from what I know.
    So, yes, you can use the apps even though it's locked to Globe. Just remember, some apps are made to go through BIS only and those ones might not work.

I think BBM is an app that works BIS only. There are more, just don't know which ones.
    06-11-10 03:10 PM
    hey is there prepaid service with data??

i dont really want just bbm and facebook..lol...i actually want to search stuff if i need to...

and if i got to manila but then iloilo for a few days...i would have to get another sim???

from canada btw
    Come on brad, you should tried to read atleast a little on this thread before asking a question like that. *shakes head in disappointment in the human race*

Your first question, well, go ahead and read above.
    Your second question, your one prepaid SIM will be fine. Even still, it's like $2.50 - $3 for a new SIM, no biggie.
    06-11-10 03:11 PM
    hi po. im talking to a globe rep right now. i tried to register kasi for bis but up to now still inactive. globe is giving me some crap about not being able to activate bis on a non globe handset anymore? ive been abkle to do this before. pano na po gagawin ko?
    06-14-10 12:02 AM
    Try the battery pull.

06-14-10 12:28 AM
    Hello,

Im new to BB. I got an unlocked BB storm. not issued by either smart or Globe. Ive been calling Smart and Globe's CSR re Service book but neither seem to know how it works. Im currently using smart Gold. Would it be possible for me to register this BB to smart so i could make full use of my BB. And how about if i use a prepaid sim, say Globe? Will they give me service book for Globe? thanks.
    06-14-10 03:15 AM
    From what I know, all you have to do is subscribe to BIS then magiging ok na..
    I am a globe user pala..

06-15-10 11:17 PM
    Hi, I recently registered to Smart BIS however I didn't like their sevice so I decided to transfer to globe. Then when I tried to register my pin &imei in their website it wouldn't allow me. It prompts "Cannot create account: An account already exists for this BlackBerry� device. Please log in or contact Globe" I tried calling globe and they said i had to ask smart to delete the account. when I tried to call smartthey said they didn't had access with that. I was really frustrated and disappointed with them. I rally don't know what to do now. Can you guys suggest a solution for my problem? Would appreciate it alot. Thanks.
    06-16-10 01:12 PM
    is there any way to unlock it from the carrier?
    06-17-10 12:16 PM
    i miss this forum! im back to BB..my iPhone will surely enjoy my Sun Postpaid Sim!!!

06-18-10 01:02 AM
9,279 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD