I bought an 8830 Global Edition from Verizon 18 months ago, and have head nothing but headaches with the global part of that name. Most recently I traveled to Japan and found I have no phone or email service at all. This was after contacting global customer service before departure (when I as assured it would work) and a 20 minute landline conversation with gobal tech support (which decided it was an equipment issue).

Come to find out that in BB and Verizon speak, Global basically means Canada and some parts of Mexico. Would one not expect a phone advertised as being "global" to work in what is far from a third-world country?

Anyone else have this issue?
    06-03-09 02:03 PM
    The 8830 uses GSM frequencies 900 and 1800, which work fine in Europe. I've used it in Germany and Cyprus with no difficulties.

Japan I believe uses different frequencies, so the 8830 wouldn't work.
    06-03-09 02:31 PM
    japan uses some CDMA roaming as well i believe...you got a bunk GST rep...call back.
    06-03-09 03:56 PM
    Japan has odd frequencies compared to the rest of the world - are you sure that the 8830 has the correct radio? IIRC the 8830 is a dual-band device, not quad, so there may be no service in Japan for you.
    06-03-09 07:20 PM
    Japan has areas of CDMA mostly for voice. If you want data, you would need GSM. There are still many areas that still ue their old PDC technology. They are expanding CDMA all the time though
    06-03-09 08:13 PM
    I think the storm works and the tour will as well.. I am pretty sure I will try and confirm this..
    06-03-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD