So, I just got a Blackberry Tour from someone on Craigslist, and I didn't try to listen to music before I bought it from them. I tried to listen the other day and only 1 ear is playing music. I went into the Verizon store, and at first one of the Reps said that its supposed to do that because its playing mono. I have no idea what that even means, and he asked another Rep who blew air into my headphone jack and said that the dust might be a problem, then he tested it and said its the phone and not the headphones (no ****).
    I told them I had done a battery pull, handset wipe, and swapped headphones.

So they said they will send me a new phone and it should get there Monday or Tuesday.

My question is, were they supposed to do that? I mean, does my insurance cover ANY phone on my account?

Sorry if the question is silly, I was just confused.
    02-19-10 11:41 AM
    Sounds like you got lucky!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 11:48 AM
    You got very lucky, This device was purchased third party and therefore, voids any warr coverage by VZW. Enjoy the replacement.

As for your insurance, this will only cover the device being physically damaged, liquid damage, theft, or if you lose it. Does not cover anything warranty related
    02-19-10 11:53 AM
    You did get lucky. If the rep would gave been paying attention, you wouldn't have got nothing. Insurance will cover the phone on your line as long as you have the feature.
    02-19-10 12:26 PM
    you got lucky,,,,
    02-19-10 01:10 PM
    Play lottery tonight too.
    02-19-10 01:30 PM
    Take it and don't look back...or say anything... I agree...hit up a scratch it ticket tonight or something.
    02-19-10 02:21 PM
    Yea i'm pretty sure it was not supposed to happen like this!

I just am scared they will come back and say hey you didnt get that from us! eck
    02-19-10 03:49 PM
    Gotten replacements in the past on phones from eBay and such.
    I was told as long as you activate the phone and can make calls, the insurance applies. Even if you bought it from somewhere else.

Let's face it. it's not like it's some other carriers phone that you swapped a SIM into. The phone had to be released by Verizon *AND* the ESN in their database.
    02-19-10 04:03 PM
    Thanks tech head! I was thinking that too!
    02-20-10 12:42 AM
    You got very lucky... the original warranty is only good for the original owner of the phone. Unless Verizon didnt know you were not the original owner of that phone or Verizon was just in a good mood that day to help you out like that.

Either way, Verizon was great to do that for you, but you got VERYYYY lucky.
    02-20-10 06:58 AM
    Gotten replacements in the past on phones from eBay and such.
    I was told as long as you activate the phone and can make calls, the insurance applies. Even if you bought it from somewhere else.

Let's face it. it's not like it's some other carriers phone that you swapped a SIM into. The phone had to be released by Verizon *AND* the ESN in their database.
    Insurance does not apply to any phone that's put on your account. The insurance only applies to the phone it was purchased on. Once you activate another phone on your number, the insurance is supposed to be removed, regardless of the source. Most reps don't, but that is what's "supposed" to happen.

The warranty only covers the phone as long as it stays on the same account. Once it moves to another account the warranty is null and void. The OP is lucky to have not paid a fru fee.

02-20-10 10:24 AM
    So, I just got a Blackberry Tour from someone on Craigslist, and I didn't try to listen to music before I bought it from them. I tried to listen the other day and only 1 ear is playing music. I went into the Verizon store, and at first one of the Reps said that its supposed to do that because its playing mono. I have no idea what that even means, and he asked another Rep who blew air into my headphone jack and said that the dust might be a problem, then he tested it and said its the phone and not the headphones (no ****).
    I told them I had done a battery pull, handset wipe, and swapped headphones.

So they said they will send me a new phone and it should get there Monday or Tuesday.

My question is, were they supposed to do that? I mean, does my insurance cover ANY phone on my account?

Sorry if the question is silly, I was just confused.
    Yes, insurance will cover a device but not the warranty portion. You're lucky because you should've paid for a replacement since the device doesn't have warranty. The original warranty was voided as soon it hit another account.
    02-20-10 10:41 PM
    Insurance does not apply to any phone that's put on your account. The insurance only applies to the phone it was purchased on. Once you activate another phone on your number, the insurance is supposed to be removed, regardless of the source. Most reps don't, but that is what's "supposed" to happen.

The warranty only covers the phone as long as it stays on the same account. Once it moves to another account the warranty is null and void. The OP is lucky to have not paid a fru fee.

Tell that to Asurion. They will let you file a claim on any device and accept it.
    02-20-10 10:44 PM
    glad you didn't say you had gotten it on craigslist they would probably had not done anything for you. You are very lucky like everyone has said.
    02-20-10 10:57 PM
    glad you didn't say you had gotten it on craigslist they would probably had not done anything for you. You are very lucky like everyone has said.
    Yes, and since everyone has said it, there was no need for you to.
    02-21-10 12:38 AM
    I wonder if they based their statement in the assumption that you procured your Tour the conventional way. I'm betting there was an "Oh ****" moment after you left when they went to fulfull the replacement. On a sidenote, same exact issue (sound only pumping through one side of earbuds) affected my friend's Tour and she needed a replacement.

Last edited by mikestorm; 02-21-10 at 07:28 AM.
    02-21-10 07:26 AM
    Tell that to Asurion. They will let you file a claim on any device and accept it.
    That's why I said that's what is "supposed" to happen. It is the responsibility of the rep to make sure insurance is removed from an invalid phone but again, that is not always the case.

02-21-10 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD