@Gawain, again I am not arguing with you on this. Really.

Even with your reference to corporate / business users I still say 93% is good from
    an end user stand point.

In order for you to sway my opinion you would need to demonstrably prove the
    BES users are somehow more savvy than their BIS counterparts.

Even in BES environments most users are provided a phone and have the same, if not
    less knowledge of the device they are provided or the manner it and it's OS works?

I am not going to do the technical discussion as I feel it really gets into the weeds.

I do not disagree with your points, I just don't think all of these "WTF I can't
    tweet, update Facebook, Myspace, send texts, check the weather" posters care
    about packet loss, latency, DIAS, etc... They care that their phone does not work
    and my point is that by and large it has.

People just need to take a deep breath, have a bran muffin and chill the .... out.
    The world is not coming to an end.
    12-23-09 01:29 AM
    In a business environment anything short of 99% is not good. I've worked in conferencing - bridges being down 23 days out of a year would be inexcusable. So is this. Fan boys please grow up on that crap. This is getting ridiculous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 01:30 AM
    Completely irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact that YOU decided to trust
    your business and by extension, your income to a single source of
    communication.

I chose not to. That is why I have a computer, 2 non RIM OS phones and a
    landline. It's also why I am not viewing this or any other outage as an end of
    the world.
    I have a computer as well. However my computer cannot get on the internet everywhere i am going. Thats why i have my phone. IF i get an email 3-4 hrs late thats hundreds of dollars missed.

Also i should not NEED to have two other phones to do what my one phone is supposed to do. that is not my fault that is the manufacture's fault.
    12-23-09 01:32 AM
    When you consider that most network operations have an up-time measured in "five-nines" of reliability, your example of RIM's 93% is horrific. By any IT standard, a service level commitment below 99.999% is not competitive, or even given credibility. DIAS has a heavy hardware reliability requirement to it as well. Tier 1 providers measure their failures in terms less than "hours per year". If something breaks, back-ups kick in or are up in usually less than 30 minutes.

There is no justifiable reason for this. There was just an outage last week, for at least 2-3 hours (maybe more depend on who/where/etc). Network providers pay out the nose to their clients when this kind of stuff happens.

You make it sound like "oh, it's just another blue screen of death" type thing from the old Window 3.1 days. I haven't had a BSOD in years. But it's sad, I've had a multi-hour failures with RIM twice in a week.

Thank God for common sense. Why do people feel endangered by critique? I still like my 9700, but 93% uptime is not reliable nor good business practice. If we had anything less than 99.7% of uptime of bridges and servers it would not have been good even with the smallest client. Let's not talk about JP Morgan.

12-23-09 01:40 AM
    Thank God for common sense. Why do people feel endangered by critique?
    Check my posting history pal. I am not by any stretch a RIM fanboy nor am I
    "endangered by critique" (an awkward turn of phrase if there ever were one).

You are also looking at this from an IT standpoint and that is without a doubt
    a minority perspective.
    12-23-09 02:01 AM
    Even with your reference to corporate / business users I still say 93% is good from
    an end user stand point.
    Seriously? What if your computer only started up 93% of the time? Or your cable TV and home broadband only worked 93% of the time? Or your car only started 93% of the time?

If 93% is all that is required to please you, I want to provide every service in the WORLD to you!

I get your point, the world is not ending. However, I pay $30/month for it to work. My price plan for voice is $10 above that per month, and I can't remember when it last went down. I can tell you specifically when RIM went down, in fact, the last two come to mind pretty easily!
    12-23-09 02:04 AM
    How about you? What phone are you tempted to get?
    Whatever the top level people at RIM use as backup devices for when their own servers crash and they lose their connectivity to the office ...

You know THEY carry a backup. I bet the CEO of VZW doesn't carry a backup phone ...
    12-23-09 02:06 AM
    Whatever the top level people at RIM use as backup devices for when their own servers crash and they lose their connectivity to the office ...

You know THEY carry a backup. I bet the CEO of VZW doesn't carry a backup phone ...
    thats funny. never thought about what they might use for backup. hmm good ol blackberry pager? lol
    12-23-09 02:11 AM
    Check my posting history pal. I am not by any stretch a RIM fanboy nor am I
    "endangered by critique" (an awkward turn of phrase if there ever were one).

You are also looking at this from an IT standpoint and that is without a doubt
    a minority perspective.
    Not you buddy, but a lot of others that seems to be conjoined twins with RIM. Next time don't take "people" as you directly. Otherwise I'd have quoted you.

Yes I agree with you. The world won't end. However, this is a problem, and should not be happening.

12-23-09 02:12 AM
    Only BB!

Service issues happen on every devices... You should live with it...
    I can tell you that with ActiveSync I experienced maybe 3 outages of 10-30min in 2.5 years.

12-23-09 02:14 AM
    Been using my iPhone a lot more. Thinking of selling my BB's and washing my hands of RIM all together.
    12-23-09 02:17 AM
    i won't leave my blackberry, but it is frustrating. there are issues with other phones as well. all in all i heart my tour lol
    12-23-09 12:24 PM
    This is my first BB, and nothing out there tempts me right now, server outages or otherwise.

Maybe an Android device sometime in the future but nothing in the near future.

12-23-09 01:23 PM
    I have nextel and it has a terrible selection of phones. Do sprint phones work with nextel?

12-23-09 11:57 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD