My son and I are due for an upgrade in May. I was in the local AT&T office yesterday, and the guy told me that our city would be upgraded to G3 by the end of the year. My son is wanting a smartphone for video capability to watch online baseball clips.

With this in mind, I was looking at the Curve 8310. The salesman told me we needed to get the BlackjackII since it supported G3. He also said it was a more user friendly phone if it was just going to be a play phone, if I wasn't a "Dr. or Lawyer" needing it for large amounts of email as he put it.

I know this is primarily a Blackberry forum, but for a teenager, what would be better: get the BJII with 3g now, get the 8310 and not have 3g when the system upgrades, or give it a little more time and see what is released (9000 rumors). I'll be upgrading, too.

Being that I do not own any of the models, and never have used them, I am just wanting to spend my $$ the best way.

Thanks for any help.
    04-02-08 10:46 PM
    well because the 9000 series is due out around june but might be pushed back due to technical problems, and the 8310 is a very solid device..
    ..you have to ask yourself if you need the 3g
    04-02-08 10:55 PM
    Yea, 3g is for the birds...or should I say 9000 I don't recommend getting the BlackJackII I work in Att Customer Care and I get a LOT of complains about it, scotts11....how about you? I mean you work in Retail....get complaints about it?
    04-02-08 11:18 PM
    The BJ II has a weak rF for some reason. I didn't experience that though as I live in the tri-state area. 3g is awesome, but keep in mind, he would need to charge it a lot.

The 9000's current battery capacity is 4 hrs talk time, less than two hours on WiFi. Minus the battery issues, it's my dream device. I'm always near a charger and normally I don't need it until I get home, but I have one at the office, in car and & home.

WinMO is not user friendly... If you want it for a teenager, although still WinMo, I'd go with the Tilt. The screen is much larger to watch those clips. It has a more powerful processor and will load the clips faster, with little hiccups. Another phone I recommend is the Q9-global. All this is if you want 3g. If not, 8310 is awesome.

I'd say wait for the iPhone in 3g.
    04-03-08 01:42 AM
    Thanks all for the comments.

The main thing I was wondering about the 3g for is the viewing of video.

Right now, he has a RAZR, I don't know if it is 3g or not. He might be able to do what he wants with that phone with just a data package. He mainly wants to be able to watch some of the baseball highlights when he isn't around a TV. Personally, I really don't care what OS we have, I just want something that is reliable and user friendly. Charging daily shouldn't be a problem. I am 50, and it needs to be simple enough for me to use, too.

I thought that there was problems with the Motorola Q phones, maybe not. Every time I start looking at something else, it seems like I end up going back to the Curve. It will probably end up being the phone of choice, I still have about 6 weeks to figure it out.

I really don't think I have an interest in the iphones at all, due to the cost of the phone and the restrictions Apple puts on the phone.
    Last edited by Mr. Chitlin; 04-03-08 at 11:59 AM.
    04-03-08 11:52 AM
    I was actually just looking at the MLB package for blackberry online last night. I had a razr with verizon for 2 years and I despised that device with a passion. I have a pearl and everything looks great on it and I get great battery life. My pearl is on verizon so its 3g, the battery life is perfect on it (rarley gets below half life on a day of heavy use) and I only use the e-mail function for school email and personal. Let me tell you its worth every penny. P.S 3g Blows edge out of the water = )
    04-03-08 12:06 PM
    Verizon isn't 3G yet I thought, we are using EV-DO. The Curve would be more than enough and if you are just watching clips not streaming full games or something it will be fine. You do not need 3G I mean I can watch youtube on my pearl with no problems.
    04-03-08 12:40 PM
    Verizon isn't 3G yet I thought, we are using EV-DO. The Curve would be more than enough and if you are just watching clips not streaming full games or something it will be fine. You do not need 3G I mean I can watch youtube on my pearl with no problems.
    Thanks for the info. Since I have never used video on a cell phone, I really don't know what to expect. That helps!!
    04-03-08 01:29 PM
    I could have sworn ev do was the 3g frequency on the back of the pearl it says it has the 3g radio. But I guess I was wrong! Thanks for the info =)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-08 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD