It's been a few weeks now since F/W launched their new LTE service and I was wondering if any of you had had an opportunity to check it out yet? Unfortunately the LTE plans are limited and the devices are too with only an LG and a ZTE being the only devices to date built with Band 66. I know there's not going to be too much, if any, improvement in building penetration being such a 'tall' network, but what about speeds and overall reliability?
    02-08-17 07:13 AM
    I just realised what a pointless question this was as no BlackBerrys have Band 66. Even so, anyone with an appropriate LG or ZTE have anything to report?
    02-11-17 09:54 PM
    Lol, well spotted mate. Personally I am gutted as I bought my PPSE direct from BlackBerry and I love it and don't want to cough up more for another phone. Hope that Freedom continues to improve so I don't really need lte

BlackBerry Passport SE on OS 10.3.3.2163 Freedom Mobile after 7 yrs with Rogers
    02-12-17 11:06 AM
    Lol, well spotted mate. Personally I am gutted as I bought my PPSE direct from BlackBerry and I love it and don't want to cough up more for another phone. Hope that Freedom continues to improve so I don't really need lte

TBH, I'm finding WIND/Freedom's 3G service to be perfectly adequate these days; I can watch HD Netflix with no issues, Spotify, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. The 12-15Mb/s I'm regularly getting is as fast as my immediate neighbour's Bell LTE service when she's home so I have no complaints. I would still like to know how much faster their LTE network is and what are the real world advantages of it. The only other WIND forum I know is over at Howard Forums but it seems flooded with people who seem to think it's interesting to keep reminding people why they left WIND and why 'so n' so' is a better carrier and to keep encouraging people to leave. I would appreciate a far more honest opinion than I'm going to get there.

Anyhow, time to shovel!
    02-12-17 01:54 PM
    Agreed I am happy with my signal and data. Howard Forums as you state seems to be full of ex wind customers. Perhaps deep down they are still not sure why they left? Cheers

02-13-17 03:09 PM
    I've been with WIND/Freedom for about five years now and am still very happy with their service. 4G service is great and speed is good. With their LTE and offering only two phones capable of utilizing the service, I must admit that I was a little concerned about the future of BlackBerry on Freedom. Still using my Z30 and Leap on Freedom and have been eyeing the DTEK60 as an upgrade and a chance to make the change from BB10 to Android but bow that the KEYone is about to make its debut in April I am holding off to see what Freedom does with that device. If their service can support the KEYONE, or is modified to support it, I'll be making the switch to the new BlackBerry device. If not, I'm happy to stick with my trusty Z30 and its loyal sidekick, the Leap for as long as they continue to meet my needs, which admittedly are not much more than texting, email, some Internet surfing and phone usage. I'm good for at least another year or so with my current devices, so I have no doubt that by then there'll be other BlackBerry offerings capable of utilizing the Freedom network. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy this BlackBerry goodness as Freedom moves forward with its changes and evolution under new management. Go BlackBerry Mobile Go!!!.....and Freedom too!

Posted via CB10
    keefrto and anon(9169048) like this.
    03-08-17 08:50 AM
    Tis indeed a shame that the Freedom will most likely not have the LTE for this phone but I live in Alberta so the data and coverage if fine for me with LTE.

BlackBerry Passport SE on OS 10.3.3.2205 Freedom Mobile after 7 yrs with Rogers
    03-08-17 09:41 PM
    Agreed I am happy with my signal and data. Howard Forums as you state seems to be full of ex wind customers. Perhaps deep down they are still not sure why they left? Cheers

I'm amazed at the amount of people who seem to have the time and energy to log in to HF and moan and whine about service they no longer have! LOL
    03-10-17 07:05 AM
    I'm amazed at the amount of people who seem to have the time and energy to log in to HF and moan and whine about service they no longer have! LOL
    Those people have grudges. Though, some can easily be fakers, I came across 100 rogers, bell, telus employees on wind/freedom's facebook page, who bItched about getting banned after posing as a complaining customer. I outed more than half of them. Hahaha. Maybe it's more than a hundred, I'm never too sure, to be completely honest. There's genuine whiners, and there are fakers.

Typed using my BlackBerry Passport running the latest QNX software release 10.3.3 on Freedom Mobile DC-HSPA+
    03-16-17 07:54 PM
    Not sure what to do wind offering 4GB of LTE for $40. That's all I need but my passport doesn't work on LTE and not sure about the KEYone yet. Service won't start until fall of 2017 for me in Calgary but hoping our new Shaw owners don't up the price.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 09:15 AM
    I hope to get K1 but if you don't already know my friend, it won't work on Freedoms new band 66 for lte.

Love my PPSE - trade it for KeyOne?
    04-18-17 05:51 PM
    I was worried about the KEYone not working on Freedom. So sure if willing to switch carriers. The data I get now is not bad just a little taxing when doing heavy browsing.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-17 08:00 PM
    No reason it won't work on Freedom at all just not lte 66 band lte. All other carriers I believe it will work on their lte

04-19-17 07:31 PM
    I have been considering switching to Freedom. $40/month for 4 GIGs and unlimited Canadawide calling seems to be a good deal. (Plus the other things like text messaging etc.)
    My question is, what is wrong with 12 Mb/sec speed? That is about what I have at home and I consider that to be fast enough.
    With only 4 GB/month, you're not going to be downloading movies all month.
    What do people do that they need more than 12 Mb/sec speeds? Seriously.
    Will my Priv be able to connect and get the 12Mb/sec speed? BTW, I live in Toronto.
    Last edited by timmy t; 04-20-17 at 03:27 PM. Reason: more information
    04-20-17 03:15 PM
    I have been considering switching to Freedom. $40/month for 4 GIGs and unlimited Canadawide calling seems to be a good deal. (Plus the other things like text messaging etc.)
    My question is, what is wrong with 12 Mb/sec speed? That is about what I have at home and I consider that to be fast enough.
    With only 4 GB/month, you're not going to be downloading movies all month.
    What do people do that they need more than 12 Mb/sec speeds? Seriously.
    Will my Priv be able to connect and get the 12Mb/sec speed? BTW, I live in Toronto.
    The 4GB of data is just the high speed allotment, usage is unlimited, just at a slower speed.

The data speeds however won't be the same all over the city. Congestion, caused by heavy users who think cellular data is just as stable as (or a substitute) for a wired internet connection will use bittorrent to download anything, affecting everyone on the tower servicing the area.
    04-20-17 05:43 PM
    Information about Freedom can also be gleaned from Howard forums and freedom. Please note that some people (trolls) like to trash freedom so it's useful to read people's experiences but beware as well. Toronto is improving all the time but..... I recently compared my ex supplier Rogers to what I have now. Am saving 50% and have Alberta only plan which has 8gb, us calling, Canada wide calling, worldwide txts for $39 per month. Freedom works for me where I am but it's not the same for everyone and Freedom has work to do.

04-20-17 06:50 PM
    Considering the LTE package simply for the roaming outskirts of Toronto. I may never see LTE at home but roaming on LTE while in the States, while up north camping, or while out in Ottawa may make the proposition worth it.

Anywhere outside of the GTA and its new band, your BB10 device will be on LTE on native frequency.
    07-18-17 01:15 AM
    Has anyone been able to get roaming LTE working? On my Passport, the option for LTE doesn't exist. I've only been able to get 3G while roaming

I have a new SIM and LTE plan (Everywhere 59), but no luck.

I was in Ottawa after Canada Day and our ZTE's picked up LTE, but my Passport and Z30 didn't even have an option for it. Ottawa's LTE is band 4 so BlackBerry's should receive it.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-17 04:39 PM
    So glad to see this post.

I recently upgraded my grandfathered 3G plan to the LTE one. I too could not get LTE service in Ottawa, with 3 different devices. Turns out the store also had issues with supported devices. They said there were problems and the phone and plan went back.

Fast forward a couple weeks. New plan (Everywhere 59). I am not getting LTE on my Q5, but I do on my Lumia 650. Depends where you are, but there are definitely growing pains.

So in Ottawa, you just need Band 4 however issues may be related to area, time of day, phases of the moon, etc. I am sure it will get sorted out...eventually. Now I just need a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-17 01:51 PM
    Bumping this to see if anyone has gotten a BB10 phone to connect to Freedom LTE in Ottawa. I just switched to the Smartphone 40 plan for my Wind purchased Z10 (STL100-3). Called tech support when it did not connect to LTE (does not even list LTE in the Network Mode list). They finally suggested getting a new sim card, which also did not work.
    09-07-17 09:49 PM
    Bumping this to see if anyone has gotten a BB10 phone to connect to Freedom LTE in Ottawa. I just switched to the Smartphone 40 plan for my Wind purchased Z10 (STL100-3). Called tech support when it did not connect to LTE (does not even list LTE in the Network Mode list). They finally suggested getting a new sim card, which also did not work.
    Requires LTE band 4.
    09-08-17 04:58 AM
    Requires LTE band 4.
    Z10 STL100-3 has this.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 08:09 AM
    09-08-17 01:44 PM
    Was able to try my Freedom sim in a coworker's unlocked Rogers branded Z10, and it connected to LTE right away. Theoretically the same model but has Network Mode options for LTE which my Wind locked Z10 does not have. So it appears BB10 phones will connect to Freedom LTE in Ottawa if there is an option for LTE in the Network Mode list.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-17 09:37 AM
    My leap is also supposed to support lte and it always displays 4g, what gives?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-17 03:28 AM
46 12