like many others, i have been trying to get a replacement S2 with the updated hardware code through VZW since i am still having bottom button issues with my release day device. after going to three stores to ask in person, i found no one had them in stock. however, a manager was nice enough to offer to order one for me through their system. she understood the situation, and agreed to get a new device shipped out ASAP.

3 days later (today), i received my "certified like-new replacement" only to see a test date of 1/21/10 on the side of the box and a hardware code of KA9, meaning it does not have the updated hardware. no problem, i thought to myself... i'll call the tauted VZ customer support that i've heard so much about and they'll sort this out. here's where the problem begins... upon answering the phone, the tech guy knew nothing of the problem(not surprising), but he actually sounded angry when i told him that i knew for a fact it was in their system. he tried to convince me it was not while searching for it but once he found it, acknowledged my issue and simply said "nothing i can do about it bud, i can't control what the warehouse sends you, you get what you get." i then asked him if there was any way i could just send the replacement phone back for another in hopes that it would be an updated version to which he said "no, send that one back or send your old one back. i will not make the warehouse continue to ship you phones until you find one you like."

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT?!? i have read about people in other threads receiving 4 and 5 handsets before they got an updated one and he just straight up tells me NO? i guess i will be heading across town to the store to do something about it because at least the lady there was helpful and understanding!
    03-15-10 03:05 PM
    Just call in again..

Personally I still have a phone with the old hardware, and will keep it until I have a problem. When that day comes, I'll go through phones until I get one with the new hardware.
    03-15-10 03:15 PM
    i kinda see where they are coming from. Did you check the one you got today?
    03-15-10 03:22 PM
    Original tour users have the same problem. Verizon is terrible with customer support. Sorry your having to go through this.
    03-15-10 03:23 PM
    VZW used to be really good but I guess JD Power and Associates recent findings are starting to show the dissatisfaction of VZW customers.

I have one that says KA9 on the device and am tempted to take it back to the store and get the updated device because I'm starting to have an issue with the screen down by the call, end, back, and BB buttons. Some times they respond and sometimes they don't.

I'm guessing that's what everyone was talking about with the screen. My only issue is this:

1. I put a full-Otterbox on it, including the screen protector and don't know if it will come off and I can reuse it. However, I believe that if I contacted OtterBox, they'll send me a new screen protector.

2. Last time I took my phone into a VZW store because the screen wasn't adjusting from landscape to portrait quickly, the VZW rep tried to tell me that it was because of all the third-party apps on it ( I have 3 *2 games and meterberry*). So they said they'd have to wipe the phone and then see if the problem persists since they won't support a phone with 3rd party apps on it regarding technical issues because it is "more than likely the 3rd party apps causing the problem".
    03-15-10 03:34 PM
    from the people on here. they say that the replacement units are in local verizon stores stock. u can call again with a different rep to get a updated replacement or go directly to the store and tell them your bottom buttons are unresponsive and get it that way
    03-15-10 03:41 PM
    so i have now been to a store and called again with no luck. basically they are telling me i can use my current device and send the refurb back, or use the refurb and send my current device back. according to them, those are my only two options as i am only eligible for a refurb and not a new device since i am WAY past my 30 days. while i can see where they are coming from, they have admitted a problem and are now refusing to fix it. my faulty 9550 hardware should be replaced with NEW hardware now that RIM has issued an update. if they do not have any updated hardware in their refurb stock, they should offer me a new phone. afterall, it's RIM that authorized and created a replacement, not VZW, so why should they care?? i am not trying to steal anything from anyone, i just want a correctly made working version of the phone for which i paid and am now tied to for two years.

how are you people getting them to send you multiple replacements or new devices?? i have no reason to activate the refurb they sent me as i doubt it will be any better than my release day phone, and it sure would save me a lot of set-up time.
    03-15-10 04:21 PM
    Verizon support is the opposite of their network. Network=awesome; support=crap
    03-15-10 04:33 PM
    Send the refurb back, then request another one until you get one that has the good hardware in it.
    03-15-10 04:36 PM
    Send the refurb back, then request another one until you get one that has the good hardware in it.
    yes, that is what i have tried to do on the phone twice and in a store once today. they are telling me that they will not send me any more phones. i can keep my original or keep the refurb but they WILL NOT ship me another one.
    03-15-10 04:39 PM
    yes, that is what i have tried to do on the phone twice and in a store once today. they are telling me that they will not send me any more phones. i can keep my original or keep the refurb but they WILL NOT ship me another one.
    and the problem with that is ...... ? Is there something wrong with the phones other then you think that there may be a problem or that you just want the newest hardware?
    03-15-10 05:54 PM
    Have you tried the one they sent you? A lot of us have original ones with no screen issues. That could be one of them. They may refuse to send another until you actually try the one they sent you
    03-15-10 05:58 PM
    and the problem with that is ...... ? Is there something wrong with the phones other then you think that there may be a problem or that you just want the newest hardware?
    Im gonna guess ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^in red
    Last edited by paulwright1; 03-15-10 at 06:29 PM.
    03-15-10 05:59 PM
    I can understand VZW's position...to an extent. Of course, there are always two sides to every story and it does make one wonder why some seem to get multiple exchanges and you are having trouble getting past the first one. Have you tried calling yet another rep and, if that fails, asking to speak with their supervisor?

Personally, I have found my VZW CS experiences to be exemplary (if I overlook the frequent "No, I've never heard this complaint before" responses). I know that being polite with them in all cases, goes a long way and I also know that having an issue with how one support person is handling your call, asking for a supervisor can often reverse the situation.
    03-15-10 06:00 PM
    Have you tried the one they sent you? A lot of us have original ones with no screen issues. That could be one of them. They may refuse to send another until you actually try the one they sent you

Im gonna guess ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^in red
    i asked that in the 3rd post and he didnt answer, so i am guessing no.
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-15-10 at 06:06 PM.
    03-15-10 06:03 PM
    yes, i want, and deserve the updated hardware. according to RIM:
    All customers experiencing touchpad performance issues, provided all other warranty/eligibility requirements are met, can be provided a New or Certified Like-New Replacement with the updated date code.
    this means that VZW is required to provide me with the updated hardware, regardless of whether or not they have one in refurb stock. i paid for the phone, i'm stuck with it for 2 years, and i pay for 3 lines of service therefore i do not feel unjustified in demanding a correctly made/working version of the 9550. i would have absolutely no problem sending refurb after refurb back until i get an updated phone, but they are not offering me that option. they say i can keep the one i have, or keep the refurb they sent me. i say that they can send me a new one and i will leave them alone or they can continue to send me refurbs that i will return until i get an updated one. right now, neither of their options is acceptable to me, and neither of my options is acceptable to them, so i guess we are at a stalemate. however, i will continue to demand an updated handset until they give it to me. i have more than enough time on my hands to make sure i get what i am entitled to.

also, yes i have tried the phone they sent me, and the bottom keys are just as bad, if not worse, than the one i have now.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 03-15-10 at 06:22 PM.
    03-15-10 06:08 PM
    have you tried a newer OS?
    03-15-10 06:30 PM
    if you have tried this one, and told them the new one is WORSE than the one they sent you they should allow you to send 1 back and send out another one after they get one back. refurbs have warranty's just the same so if it is also defective then would have to send another one.
    03-15-10 06:31 PM
    if you have tried this one, and told them the new one is WORSE than the one they sent you they should allow you to send 1 back and send out another one after they get one back. refurbs have warranty's just the same so if it is also defective then would have to send another one.
    i have told them this. their reply is "we can only send you refurbs, none of the refurbs are updated hardware and even if they were we can't control what you get sent, all of the refurb stock will have the same issue. you aren't eligible for a new replacement which would contain the new hardware, have a nice day."

from what i gather, they are simply not going to address the bottom button issue unless you are within 30 days of purchase or you wait until most of the refurb stock is updated hardware. at least, for me. they seem to be working nicely with other people... offering new devices and multiple replacements. i don't know what i ever did to them, but they seem to not want to help me out at all.
    03-15-10 07:06 PM
    I ordered mine last tuesday, got it thursday.... it wouldn't power up... took that battery out and put in my storm 1 battery same issue but after about 10min the red light starts to flash but that's it... so I hook it up to my laptop. i hear the sounds of a usb device connecting and disconnecting over and over. eventually the splash screen comes up but it never finishes loading.. I get the 'there is not enough power to charge the battery' message then nothing. I decide to leave it over night and see whats up... so while I'm doing this I check out the phone itself and the screen is still dipped down in the upper left corner. Next morning I check it and it's finally on.. but at this point I've decided not to activate. I call my local store she tells me they don't have any replacements in stock, sorry.. transfers me to customer service. which transfers me to tech support.. she says she will locate a store with replacement stock... she finds a store 4 towns away says she called and verrified their stock and they know I'm coming.. We even talk abit about other stuff like the skype coming out she gives me the address so I can google it and the whole time shes telling that I'm good to go..so 40min later I get to the store, tell them why I'm there and they have no clue... never received a call and have zero replacements in stock. come to find out out there isn't a store in the Northeast that has any refurbs in stock, but the warehouse has 8000 of them, he offers to order me another... by this time I'm too pissed to think straight. We're on the phone with 2 support supervisors. One is reviewing the call from earlier and one tells the in store tech to give me a storm 1.. that pissed me off even more... they wouldn't give me one they had there and the best they could do was overnight me another one on monday.. I get my shipping email today and it didnt get overnighted, it will be here on wednesday... This next one better be perfect...

and before anyone asks yes my original is faulty... even had a chance to prove it to the tech while I was there as I had a few calls come in while I was waiting
    03-15-10 07:52 PM
    Well, "K2A" is on the list of upgraded devices so, hopefully, you're good to go!

I took my S2 into the store & told the rep to try and make a call on it. After he pushed the green handset button 5-6 times without success, he told me to please wait while he got me a replacement.
    It should be THAT simple with a NEW phone; I had only had it for about 2 weeks.

He had initially wanted my box, and all of the original pieces in order to make the exchange. When I laughed @ him and said it was all in the trash and I had even mailed in the rebate, he had to play some type of game in his system to complete the transaction. He even told me once that they would charge me for the rebate.
    Then i said "I don't think so, this is a brand new phone that suffers from a physical defect preventing it from operating as advertised by the manufacturer and VZW. This is NOT my problem, it's NOT an insurance problem, it is YOUR problem with RIM."

A little bit later I had my new phone in hand. The code inside is K2A. The buttons all work as expected. I didn't know or care about the date code issue. I just want the buttons to work.
    +++
    03-15-10 08:04 PM
    I took my S2 into the store & told the rep to try and make a call on it. After he pushed the green handset button 5-6 times without success, he told me to please wait while he got me a replacement.
    It should be THAT simple with a NEW phone; I had only had it for about 2 weeks.

He had initially wanted my box, and all of the original pieces in order to make the exchange. When I laughed @ him and said it was all in the trash and I had even mailed in the rebate, he had to play some type of game in his system to complete the transaction. He even told me once that they would charge me for the rebate.
    Then i said "I don't think so, this is a brand new phone that suffers from a physical defect preventing it from operating as advertised by the manufacturer and VZW. This is NOT my problem, it's NOT an insurance problem, it is YOUR problem with RIM."

A little bit later I had my new phone in hand. The code inside is K2A. The buttons all work as expected. I didn't know or care about the date code issue. I just want the buttons to work.
    +++
    this is the key to your situation. inside 30 days, they will give you a new device without any problems. after that, you only qualify for a refurb. this is why i can't get an updated device according to them... only new devices have updated codes, i only qualify for a refurb, therefore i cannot get an updated device. at least, this is what they are trying to tell me.

as you can tell from the rest of this thread, i do not agree. since RIM is acknowledging the problem and issuing an update; i, as a paying customer, have the right to an updated device, whether it be a refurb OR new. whatever it takes.

VZ's current approach would be like Toyota saying you only qualify for updated brakes if you bought your car in the last month. if you bought it before that, you can only get refurbished brakes with the old/incorrect design. this makes no sense! granted, Toyota's problem is a much more serious matter, but if there is a recognized problem with any product, every paying customer deserves a correctly made version regardless of how long ago they spent their money.
    Last edited by SolidOrange; 03-15-10 at 11:14 PM.
    03-15-10 08:17 PM
    From reading over this tread, I think the tad bit of info that the OP is missing is that you must return either the refurb or original device before they ship you a new one - if they just keep sending you phones, what's to say you wouldn't just try to sell them all, and not send them back? Verizon needs to know that they have a phone at least coming back to them before they will send you another; basically you are sitting on two phones, and expect another to be sent without returning one, so you can play choosy on which you want to keep? Give me a break.
    they put a charge on your account for full value of the phone, the charge is removed once a phone is returned. They arent that stupid. But yes they wont send you 5 phones either
    03-15-10 10:40 PM
    I had the same problem. I got two old ones rather than the new ones. I talked to one person and they know about the memo. The next person acted stupid, but then after a long hold agreed about the memo and has sent me out another two. I will let you know on Tues. What i get.
    03-15-10 10:47 PM
    I have been told if you select cancel your service you will get a better response. I haven't tried it myself but I have heard that.
    03-15-10 10:48 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD