Will factory unlocked devices be getting an official wifi calling enabled release? Has anyone received an official software release yet? I am a little unclear on versioning. If I were to unlock my z10 would it try to update to a non t-mobile os. Or will it stay locked in as long as I have a t-mobile Sim in?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-15 02:10 PM
    If you ask T-Mobile, T-Mobile will say it's up to BlackBerry. If you ask BlackBerry, BlackBerry will say it's up to T-Mobile. So... yeah lol.
    05-12-15 04:07 PM
    WiFi calling was a big part of Uncarrier 7.0, and as part of that event, TMO said that every phone sold "in stores" then on will come with WFC. But that hasn't been true, because they have screwed Nexus 6 owners. Anyhow, I fully expect the Classic to have WFC either out of the box or enabled not too long after release via a software update.

Re: the Z10, it will always look for a carrier-approved OS before it looks for something released by BB w/o carrier approval. This is especially true of branded phones, like your Z10, and unlocking it will not make a difference as long as you keep a TMO SIM in while doing the update check. For WFC you will need one of the OSes that TMO allows to have WFC. So that's 10.2.1.3442 officially, and at least 10.3.0.296 and another 10.3.0.4xx build (neither of which are TMO-approved.) AFAIK, WFC doesn't work on any 10.3.1 or newer releases yet.

And here is one of the best explanations about how WFC works that I've read in the forums: http://forums.crackberry.com/t-mobil...l#post10030294
    05-12-15 04:32 PM
    I ask about the classic, because I would like to get one in white if possible and still be able to get WFC. I for shigrins installed a newer os on my Z10 to see what 10.3 looks like. I am not sure how I feel about the look and there are still a few things that I would consider needing improvement. My z10 does seem to run a little better though and I like having the power save features. I also was curious how it would go without WFC enabled. So far okay, connectivity seems actually a little better but I am not sure if that is OS or WFC related. If WFC isn't working out of box with the classic I may be able to resist buying one right now.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 10:51 AM
    If WFC isn't working out of box with the classic I may be able to resist buying one right now.

Posted via CB10
    When t-mo first had the Classic advertised, they said it was WFC compatible. Checked the ad today and it no longer says this. Not sure if my favorite store will have it in stock today, but will check with them in an hour and see.
    05-13-15 11:00 AM
    I wish TMO's website had that store-stock checker feature like AT&T's does. Big time saver.
    05-13-15 11:32 AM
    I ask about the classic, because I would like to get one in white if possible and still be able to get WFC.
    The trend has been that WFC is available on the same model of the phone as TMO's, regardless of where you buy it from. However, the white Classic that is available so far is the 100-1 model, which is not what TMO will be selling. So I wouldn't expect WFC to work on it.
    05-13-15 11:39 AM
    Darn, cause it looks pretty sweet in white. The black version looks pretty good to. I might call the store in downtown Seattle see if they have one in stock.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 11:57 AM
    One store in my area (So. Ca.) which is one of their largest volume stores, claims they will be the only store "in their district" to stock the Classic. He further claims it not only will ship w/o WFC, but is not scheduled to get it. They do not have the phone in stock yet, but was very familiar.
    raino likes this.
    05-13-15 12:39 PM
    One store in my area (So. Ca.) which is one of their largest volume stores, claims they will be the only store "in their district" to stock the Classic. He further claims it not only will ship w/o WFC, but is not scheduled to get it. They do not have the phone in stock yet, but was very familiar.
    This guy here says he was told that the phone won't ship with WFC, but it will eventually get it. So at the very least, I think we can safely conclude that it won't be available out of the box.
    scrannel likes this.
    05-13-15 12:44 PM
    Official response from t-mobile is no WFC at release but they are working on it. Does anyone remember how long post z10 and Q10 release before we got WFC. As I recall it took quite awhile, but since the baseline is there it shouldn't take as long.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 03:29 PM
    Official response from t-mobile is no WFC at release but they are working on it.
    Do you have a source for this? Like a tweet or a KB doc or something?

Does anyone remember how long post z10 and Q10 release before we got WFC. As I recall it took quite awhile, but since the baseline is there it shouldn't take as long.
    The Z10 launched sometime in March 2013, and the first WFC-bringing update was pushed out in September. I don't think it will be nearly as long time--at least on BB's end--because they have figured out how to make WFC work; it just needs to be "fitted" into 10.3.1, if that.
    05-13-15 03:51 PM