333 Bloor St E
    Toronto, ON
    M4Y 1G9

Cc: Rob Bruce
    President - Rogers Wireless
    Nadir Mohamed
    President and COO – Rogers Communications

11 December 2009

Re: Letter to Rob Bruce (23 October) and subsequent contact.

Dear Ms Brussa,

Thank you for your follow-up and attention to this matter. To your Company's credit, you have made every effort to encourage me to return my business mobile data needs to Rogers and equip me with a satisfactory device in doing so.

Unfortunately, what this communication has lacked was any acknowledgment that Rogers' service was in any way culpable for my decision to cancel. Nor is it enough to simply blame your wireless device providers for all of my dissatisfaction. Every effort was to get me back into the fold as a paying subscriber, not to address concerns. This has only emphasized for me the fairly commonly-held belief that Rogers doesn't really know (or care) what its subscribers think of it. Clearly, you seemed surprised when I mentioned there are online Forum site threads dedicated to concerns with Rogers and their products. But whether Rogers cares? And here's a suggestion – you probably shouldn't imply that your subscribers are liars (sorry - 'mistaken') if they comment on these Forums.

If anything, communication with you has confirmed for me that the issues that I have consistently experienced with Rogers – from billing to service and product CSRs and to the inability of similar departments within Rogers Wireless to work with each other – all this confusion appears to come from the top.
    It was clear your office has no idea what the current Plans out there are, the wireless devices Rogers offers or are unaware of the wildly discretionary Plans offered by the CSRs. Setting Plans, products and policies should at least appear to come from the Executive Offices.

And let's be honest here – if, as in my case, an incident escalates to the Executive Office and might be resolved there, one shouldn't then need to hang up and contact phone CSRs and have to have this conversation all over again. Resolve the issue and move on it from there.

Moreover, if a customer contacts Corporate CSRs by phone and they report that a particular model is not in stock (and can only speculate as to when they might be able to fulfill the order), the customer should be able to take a reference number to their nearest Rogers Store where the phone is in stock and pick it up. And Corporate should know where these are.
    Imagine how many subscribers Rogers has lost to the Competition simply because Corporate, Consumer and Retail don't work together.

Nor should a subscriber need to visit a product reseller or the Competition to try out a functioning wireless device to see if it is right for them – as I have done. Rogers Stores should offer this ability. But then, most Rogers Wireless Stores appear to be a waste of space, as their ability to achieve customer service invariably comes down to them contacting phone CSRs to complete a task – a task the subscriber can do without benefit of the store.

But then, we covered much of the above in our telephone conversations.

I'm still not entirely convinced Rogers is capable enough for anything more than my most basic of wireless needs. I may, nevertheless, give Corporate one more try on Monday, December 14th and see if they have in stock the phone I want, the Plan best suited, and can have it delivered in a timely manner. 'Gavin', the Corporate CSR I spoke with yesterday, advised me to “try again” then. Otherwise, my decision from 23 October will stand. I'll look elsewhere for my mobile data needs.

Yours sincerely,
    12-11-09 08:47 AM
    so... angry customer?

i hope you are a business owner with 300+ lines, cause that email wont go far..
    12-13-09 01:02 AM
    Not so much angry as frustrated.

Meanwhile, as to how big my company might be or how far it will go, bear in mind that the above is in response to a number of conversations I've already had with Lisa Brusso at the Executive Offices, based on original correspondence (and a returned BB) sent to Rob Bruce. He could have chosen to ignore that letter, but did not do so, handing off the file to her to work on - so that's probably more reaction and further up the food chain than one will get through, say, a frustrated comment to a phone CSR.

And even one person (or Forum), passing along bad experiences to friends and colleagues, can make any Company (or Executive in charge) nervous these days - maybe especially now with the Big 3 wireless in Canada, as competition seems assured...
    Last edited by Bazza1; 12-13-09 at 08:58 AM.
    12-13-09 08:50 AM
    i couldnt agree more ! rogers has no idea what the next person is doing. if you call in 3 times you will get 3 different answers. i plan on cancelling my 2 phones (plans that have been 125.00+ for almost 3yrs in feb.)thats almost 4500 that i have pd to rogers over the yrs and the service is horrible!

i will be foresure leaving to the competetors in the next month and a bit

Wind????looks like some scooping plans!
    12-13-09 11:24 AM
    i couldnt agree more ! rogers has no idea what the next person is doing. if you call in 3 times you will get 3 different answers. i plan on cancelling my 2 phones (plans that have been 125.00+ for almost 3yrs in feb.)thats almost 4500 that i have pd to rogers over the yrs and the service is horrible!

i will be foresure leaving to the competetors in the next month and a bit

Wind????looks like some scooping plans!
    Funny, I was going to say something along these lines. I will definitely be looking out for WIND and if it seems sound and there are no hidden fees/catches, I will be canceling all my contracts with the big 3.
    12-13-09 11:40 AM
    did they ever reply lol
    12-13-09 04:01 PM
    It just sounds like bell customer service..... french/english people from Quebec which 90% of the time never know what part of the country they are from.

But to be honest i have never had any issues with rogers at all in the past 8 years i have been with them and yes i have heard that others have had issues, but is it just a misunderstanding customer or is actually rogers customer service.

The fact that maybe 2-3-5 reps may say something differently each time can be because of inexperience on some reps or just the fact that some don't know what to say or maybe rogers does not have standard answers to certain questions or is it that every person in this world is different and will answer differently.

I wish you the best of luck, but when a big company is pushed by ultimatuims they usually will push back or at times be sensitive to the customers misunderstanding.

Thats my take.
    12-13-09 07:19 PM
    if you are doing an upgrade of need plan information, just go to your nearest "corporate store" and i don't mean wireless wave, the source, or any other independently owned store. The employees, for the most part, have much training and will be able to help you. I worked at Rogers for a couple years and the stuff relayed to me by customers of what the call centres said was just ridiculous. It is true, the information is all over the place. Go to a store (again, a corporate store) and get their opinion. Trust me, at least at our location, we hated rogers just as much anyone else and for the amount of commission we get paid (practically nothing) it would be hardly worth misinforming someone for the sale.
    12-13-09 09:34 PM
    if you are doing an upgrade of need plan information, just go to your nearest "corporate store" and i don't mean wireless wave, the source, or any other independently owned store. The employees, for the most part, have much training and will be able to help you. I worked at Rogers for a couple years and the stuff relayed to me by customers of what the call centres said was just ridiculous. It is true, the information is all over the place. Go to a store (again, a corporate store) and get their opinion. Trust me, at least at our location, we hated rogers just as much anyone else and for the amount of commission we get paid (practically nothing) it would be hardly worth misinforming someone for the sale.
    plus, if we were to screw up, you would know where to find us lol
    12-13-09 09:36 PM
    Funny, I was going to say something along these lines. I will definitely be looking out for WIND and if it seems sound and there are no hidden fees/catches, I will be canceling all my contracts with the big 3.
    what "hidden fees" to the major carriers have? i understand my monthly bill completely.

koodo on the other hand, pretends to not have a contract, but instead it's called a "tab".. THAT'S a hidden fee.
    12-14-09 04:00 PM
    So, at 4:10pm Friday 18 December, Lisa Brussa offered me this (in addition to my basic cell Plan, which I am loathe to touch) -

BB 8520 = $49.99
    $40 Smartphone Data Value Pack - $10 credit per month
    HUP fee - waived
    $35 Admin Fee - waived

Pick up the phone at Rogers Store at 333 Bloor St E (Head Office) - unheard of as I am a Corporate client - but again, Corporate CSRs still say they have none of the 8520s in stock.

Hiccup here is twofold -

1. Still no acknowledgment from Rogers that they were in any way culpable for my decision to cancel my BB and data services in the first place. Like "We're terribly sorry our services haven't worked out for you and we appreciate we should treat our current subscribers better" would be a good start. But nada.

2. Its not a simple case of just going in, picking up the phone and all the above will be magically in place. That Store's Manager will call Corporate CSR, Corporate CSR will tell Manager that I can't get 8520 for $49.99 on the $40 Plan and I will be then billed for the penalty price, the full price of the HUP and the Admin Fee. None of this has been worked out in advance between the Executive Office and my file at Corporate that the CSRs have access to. I would then need to trust the offer made and rely on Ms Brussa (once she's returned from holiday on Jan 4th) manually adjusting all of this to fit the above.

Umm, no. I'll wait. Or not at all. My old Motorola T720 and Palm TX are beginning to look attractive again...

12-19-09 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD