Soooo...

Day 1 Tour owner here. Went through the whole trackball fiasco like most of you. After several replacements (currently on my third device) I finally got a perfectly working trackball, no screen ripple and a working mic (no underwater sounding conversations).

Well, starting this morning while using my phone to surf I noticed that the cursor would completely freeze up while browsing the web. If you mashed on the trackball it would eventually unfreeze and you could go about your business for a few more minutes before it did it again, and again, and again.

I stopped at a Sprint Authorized Service Center this afternoon to have them take a look at it. About 40 minutes later the kid comes out with a new trackball installed, sortof. I say sort of because it was a black "tour" trackball but instead of the thin silver bezel it had a white plastic. It also had terrible tactile response. You could barely feel if you were spinning it and there was no noticeable click when depressing the trackball. It felt, and performed, like what I expect to be a third party knock off of an actual tour trackball might be.

After fooling around with it for a few minutes I left the store fairly disgusted with the downgraded trackball. Having it broken was almost a more attractive option. So I called Sprint Tech Support to see about locating a corporate owned store w/service center to see if they could do better. Apparently there isn't one within 50 miles of me, but after explaining to the tech (based out of Las Vegas, NV) what had just happened he apologized and asked me to hold for a moment. He came back a few seconds later to inform me that he had just completed the request for a replacement device to be shipped out to me overnight. Should be here by Thursday as I probably missed today's UPS cutoff.

While I do have insurance and am within my 1 year warranty, I was very pleased that the rep jumped in and issued me a replacement device without opening a new ticket and sending me back to a service center to verify etc. And yes, before you ask. I did go back to the service center and make them take out that POS trackball they installed and hook up the original.
    12-01-09 01:20 AM
    Quick update...

The replacement phone arrived last night. It was shipped after midnight (early early tuesday morning) and delivered same around 6pm Tuesday.

That's fast turn around!
    12-02-09 01:23 PM
    Good luck with that. I'm on Tour #5 and I am downright SICK! Received it yesterday and already problems. I am about done with the BB Tour!
    12-02-09 07:49 PM
    This new Tour is heaven. Trackball is wonderful even at 70 / 70. No screen ripple either & the keyboard is fine. Battery door is a little loose, but u can't tell since the phone lives in an Otterbox Defender full time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-09 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD