I don't think this was able with my Blackberry previously (or any other Sprint phones I've owned), and it was one of AT&T selling points regarding their carrier...In the past few days, I've noticed that while I'm on the phone, and I'm talking about 1 to 2 hours into my phone call, I was able to put my phone on speaker, and chat on AIM and surf the web...Granted I was at home when I was noticing this, with my WIFI on, but I don't think it's because of the wifi...I know with AT&T and Tmobo, if you have WIFI, then you can talk on the phone and be on BBM and surf at the same time...however, I think I actually did this while I was at work while my 4G and WIFI were off....I guess I need to check into it again...maybe this is one of those upgrades from the $10 PREMIUM data?

But then again, I could be wrong...I need to go out somewhere and try it again to be sure sure....
    06-09-10 12:02 PM
    Talk and surfing the web isn't possible on a CDMA carrier (Sprint and Verizon) unless connected to wifi. It's the way CDMA works, so you were connected to wifi when you were doing this. Not sure if Sprint's new 4G network is able to do talk and web at the same time, so if your in a 4G zone then that might be the case.

It's possible on a GSM network (Att and Tmobile) not connected to wifi, but a 3G connection is required. That's something that Att fails to mention in their ads.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 06-09-10 at 12:25 PM.
    06-09-10 12:20 PM
    Talk and surfing the web isn't possible on a CDMA carrier (Sprint and Verizon) unless connected to wifi. It's the way CDMA works, so you were connected to wifi when you were doing this.
    Or on 4G with the EVO.
    06-09-10 12:22 PM
    the 4g connection that sprint has isnt through cdma i think, its WiMax
    06-09-10 12:24 PM
    Yes only when on 4G you can talk and web at the same time.. That has been confirmed on en-gadget mobile..

OK here is where I read it - Mobile Broadband - Coverage, Tips, News, Reviews, 4G & 3G Routers, MiFi, Verizon, Sprint, CLEAR Internet : EVDOinfo.com " The multitasking even extends to simultaneous talk and web... sort of. While you're connected to the 4G network, you can talk on the phone and use the data features of the phone at the same time, but if you're connected to 3G you won't be able to use the internet while you're on the phone."
    Last edited by jsanta11; 06-09-10 at 12:33 PM.
    06-09-10 12:30 PM
    wimax/lte do simultaneous voice/data. It's not a phone feature.
    06-09-10 12:41 PM
    I did notice the 4g icon when I was surfing the web and on the phone at work yesterday...
    06-09-10 01:25 PM
    As long as you are in a 4G area, you can talk and surf.
    06-09-10 09:13 PM
    As long as your on WIFI or 4G as others said you can do data and voice
    06-09-10 09:17 PM
    As long as your on WIFI or 4G as others said you can do data and voice
    Finally. The 9th post got it right.
    06-10-10 04:24 AM
    You are not entirely correct here..

Any multi-channel packet based network with QoS parameters is capable of simultaneous voice plus data... so, while it is true that neither Sprint nor verizon support simultaneous voce plus data... the core CDMA technology, from Rev A however does support this feature.

Talk and surfing the web isn't possible on a CDMA carrier (Sprint and Verizon) unless connected to wifi. It's the way CDMA works, so you were connected to wifi when you were doing this. Not sure if Sprint's new 4G network is able to do talk and web at the same time, so if your in a 4G zone then that might be the case.

It's possible on a GSM network (Att and Tmobile) not connected to wifi, but a 3G connection is required. That's something that Att fails to mention in their ads.
    06-10-10 05:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD