Effective yesterday, the EDGE plan now requires that at least 75% of the retail cost of the device is paid before you can "edge-up." Also changed to 18 months to be eligible if 75% isn't paid. Ridiculous. Started at 50% payoff, then June 1 went to 60% and now it's 75%. What a joke. It was only marginally better to go edge vs 2-year contract when it was 60% but now at 75% it's just a total ripoff. Ridiculous. Now that AT&T and Tmobile have greatly improved their LTE coverage in my area and region of the US, I'm going to look for every way possible to get away from Verizon.
    10-17-14 10:26 AM
    That is what happens when the resale value of phones turns to crap.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 10:49 AM
    I have never understood the benefit of "edge"...you pay full price anyway just in installment...then you have to return the phone to Verizon...so you spent the same money and have nothing in the hand.????

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:51 PM
    Lol... do people really think that any of these subsidized or financing or payment programs are not designed primarily to make more money??

Come on,.. all it takes is a little bit of math to figure out that anything but buying outright comes at a premium.

Posted via CB10
    howards likes this.
    10-17-14 03:56 PM
    I have never understood the benefit of "edge"...you pay full price anyway just in installment...then you have to return the phone to Verizon...so you spent the same money and have nothing in the hand.????

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's not entirely accurate. If you pay off the device, you keep it. Also, you get a monthly discount on the access cost when you have an edge plan.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-14 05:06 PM
    Upping it to 75% also makes the monthly prices lower by a couple of dollars because they're going back to a 24 month agreement. And there's no activation fee. Depending on how much data you have, the line access discount is enough to add monthly insurance. It's a more expensive option than going with a two year contract and less expensive than buying outright if you trade the phone in for another one. Early edges offer you the chance to upgrade early without having to spend $500-800 up front. You pay taxes in store only. That gives you more freedom to buy accessories for the phone, like cases and screen protectors. And at any time you can pay off your remaining monthly installments to get to 75% to upgrade. If you want to keep the phone just pay the remaining 15% and you would have successfully bought a phone outright. There's no interest on the payments, either. You already paid taxes for the phone in store. The real downside to the recent change is that early edges were previously offered 12 months into a 2 year contract with at least 6 months of consecutive on time payments beforehand, whereas now it will be 18 months. You can upgrade within 6 months of your contract end date. That just made a whole lot of previously eligible customers ineligible. Lots of reps are going to have to redo some sales opportunity calls.

I don't see why people are so surprised that they're buying the phone outright (or 75% outright) when that's exactly what the Edge program is. You're buying the phone outright but in monthly installments with 0% apr. It's not difficult. Verizon does need to pick what they want to do with the plan and stick with it, though.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:31 PM
    It's how I managed to get my z30. Planning to pay it off sometime after the first of the year.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 12:46 AM
    And you can only pay the payment amount. If you want to pay it off sooner by making larger payments they won't allow it.

Lame at best!

BlackBerry hates America!
    10-29-14 09:59 AM