Hey guys,

I am new to smartphones (coming from a razor) but have extensively used my girlfriends iphone. I am stuck with verizon and after looking at what they have to offer I have narrowed it down to the droid, storm 2, htc imagio, and htc droid eris. Some things which I need in this phone is:
    free access to google maps with gps
    good texting / email service
    good multimedia support to play videos / music
    no laggy operation
    good internet browser

I really liked the storm 2 but after seeing the browser and lack of support for apps and google maps this really turned me off. Looking at the imagio specs I thought the phone would work out really well for what I wanted but the windows mobile os seems to be getting alot of bad reviews. I checked out both the htc droid eris and the droid and really liked how fast the internet was on them but the user interface seemed a bit complicated and the slide out keyboard on the droid is useless. What do you guys think would be the best for me? I basically want something which will be as close to the iphone as possible.
    11-29-09 02:33 AM
    If google maps with Nav is the deal breaker, then the answer to your question is easy. The Moto Droid. A fine phone. If you can wait till the Eris gets 2.0 in a month or so, then you have to decide which you like more. They are both very capable phones.
    11-29-09 12:49 PM
    Or, the HTC Passion - complete with 2.0.

Then again, Google Maps or Bing Maps are fully functional on Imagio, Omnia2 & TP2.

The keyboard on the Moto Droid is fairly worthless.
    11-29-09 04:08 PM
    I thought this site is all about blackberry?
    11-29-09 04:09 PM
    I thought this site is all about blackberry?
    Take a look at the various forums & you will see that is not the case.

Most people here are interested in the best VZW offers - hence this is the VZW Forum. If they want the best, BlackBerry is left out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-09 04:12 PM
    Or, the HTC Passion - complete with 2.0.

Then again, Google Maps or Bing Maps are fully functional on Imagio, Omnia2 & TP2.

The keyboard on the Moto Droid is fairly worthless.
    Imagio, Omnia 2 and TP2 do not have Google Navigation. Almost any smart phone has Google Maps.

Oh and I use my Moto Droid's keyboard everyday - far from worthless.
    11-29-09 04:34 PM
    If google maps with Nav is the deal breaker, then the answer to your question is easy. The Moto Droid. A fine phone. If you can wait till the Eris gets 2.0 in a month or so, then you have to decide which you like more. They are both very capable phones.
    The Android 1.6 OS is now able to use Google Maps Navigation, but there will need to be a 1.6 update for the Eris first.

So yeah Moto Droid is def the way to go for now!
    11-29-09 04:37 PM
    I really liked the storm 2 but after seeing the browser and lack of support for apps and google maps this really turned me off. Looking at the imagio specs I thought the phone would work out really well for what I wanted but the windows mobile os seems to be getting alot of bad reviews. I checked out both the htc droid eris and the droid and really liked how fast the internet was on them but the user interface seemed a bit complicated and the slide out keyboard on the droid is useless. What do you guys think would be the best for me? I basically want something which will be as close to the iphone as possible.
    I would recommend the Moto Droid for the simple fact there is little that phone cannot do. The screen is awesome, camera is awesome, web browsing, etc.. If your main complaint is the keyboard, then don't use it unless you're playing a game or using an emulator. Keyboard takes some getting used to and after about a week of using it you won't have a problem with it. People tend to forget that the onscreen keyboard is quite nice and is available when you want to use it rather than the physical.

The user interface is fairly simple actually. It is straight forward with big letters and simple on/off buttons. Very similar to the iPhone's settings and controls. Once you customize it you'll have everything exactly where you need it.

Hands down right this minute the Moto Droid is the closest thing to the iPhone. I've heard from previous iPhone users that they like the Droid better.
    11-29-09 04:46 PM
    I would recommend the Moto Droid for the simple fact there is little that phone cannot do.
    On a CDMA network, anyway*. While I'm no fan of the Storm/Storm2, it is a world phone.

* Yes, yes I know it has Wi-fi. As far as I know, European automobiles aren't equipped with wifi. At least yet.
    11-29-09 11:01 PM
    Imagio, Omnia 2 and TP2 do not have Google Navigation. Almost any smart phone has Google Maps.

Oh and I use my Moto Droid's keyboard everyday - far from worthless.
    Google Navigation is a simple download. If someone has to have it preloaded, maybe they need a regular phone.

No matter though. It is beta software & there are beta versions for WM, iPhone & Palm.

Google Latitude is available for WM... & is not beta.

Something you might want to also mention is Google Nav, regardless of phone, will not function without a data signal. You're lost & in the middle of nowhere. You'd better pray someone with you has a real nav system. Or at least a WM phone with Latitude - since it doesn't need a data signal.

So pack it up & take it home - the Moto Droid is still a toy & not a serious device.

A little good reading for the Android fans, by the way...

Google Redefines Disruption: The "Less Than Free" Business Model

Take a look & know that everything you do it monitored, watched & recorded - not just by Google, but now in partnership with your mobile carrier.

It is just the beginning.
    11-29-09 11:35 PM
    Tell me If I'm wrong, but isn't Latitude just something that works with Google Maps that /its you know where your contacts are? I'm only going by memory, but I didn't think Google Latitude had (once guided turn by turn directions with re direct.... And either way, can't you get Latitude on Android phones?

And please try not to take this as a continuation to our prior disagreements, and respond with a civilized response...
    11-30-09 03:17 AM
    Google Navigation is a simple download. If someone has to have it preloaded, maybe they need a regular phone.

No matter though. It is beta software & there are beta versions for WM, iPhone & Palm.

Google Latitude is available for WM... & is not beta.

Something you might want to also mention is Google Nav, regardless of phone, will not function without a data signal. You're lost & in the middle of nowhere. You'd better pray someone with you has a real nav system. Or at least a WM phone with Latitude - since it doesn't need a data signal.

So pack it up & take it home - the Moto Droid is still a toy & not a serious device.
    Actually Google Maps WITH Navigation is not available on any other device besides those with Android 1.6 and 2.0 There is no Beta version released for WM, Palm, iPhone, etc..

Google Latitude is available for WM, BlackBerry, iPhone, etc.. Nothing special there. It is just Google Maps with stalking abilities. Not sure if you've ever used latitude, but it allows your friends to see where you are.

First of all if I was going to the middle of no where I think I'd bring a map, but regardless Google Navigation pre-downloads your route so you don't have to worry about losing data signal. When I'm on the road with the phone I rarely lose data signal. There are pre-loaded mapping software available for the Android platform if you need something that is already downloaded to the SD card.

Again, WM will require a data connection to use Latitude or any Google Map software (besides Navigation) just as any phone would.

Moto Droid is not a toy. But you can think that if you'd like
    11-30-09 04:20 AM
    True, for either Google application to continue to give you re routed directions, you would need a data connection, regardless of the operating system, and as to what I had supposed, Latitude is available for many smartphones. And as for being lost in the middle of no where, one would only need to look back on some of Twins previous posts, where he says that a cell phone is a convenience... So while it can be counted on for many daily activities, one should not rely on it for everything...
    11-30-09 04:50 AM
    Originally Posted by R.O.C.
    Boise State beat Oregon and that's it. Whomever they play in their bowl game is going to stomp them out...

BSU, will kick ***, on any one
    11-30-09 06:42 AM
    Originally Posted by R.O.C.
    Boise State beat Oregon and that's it. Whomever they play in their bowl game is going to stomp them out...

BSU, will kick ***, on any one
    Except when it comes to the sec!
    11-30-09 06:51 AM
    Tell me If I'm wrong, but isn't Latitude just something that works with Google Maps that /its you know where your contacts are? I'm only going by memory, but I didn't think Google Latitude had (once guided turn by turn directions with re direct.... And either way, can't you get Latitude on Android phones?
    It does work with Google Maps, but there is a beta portion that allows you to pre-load a route for those times when you're out of data signal. Still, it is yet another toy; a privacy buster for those who don't know the value of their privacy. It is the same data mining that goes on with the Google turn-by-turn navigation - plus is is the same backbone. Not a lot to keep Nav fro the same platforms that Latitude is on.

And yes, Latitude is available on Android phones - direct from the Website instead of a richer content application. Latitude has pretty much bombed & now Google is pinning hopes on Navigation, which IS in beta testing - contrary to what is claimed above.
    11-30-09 07:29 AM
    It does work with Google Maps, but there is a beta portion that allows you to pre-load a route for those times when you're out of data signal. Still, it is yet another toy; a privacy buster for those who don't know the value of their privacy. It is the same data mining that goes on with the Google turn-by-turn navigation - plus is is the same backbone. Not a lot to keep Nav fro the same platforms that Latitude is on.

And yes, Latitude is available on Android phones - direct from the Website instead of a richer content application. Latitude has pretty much bombed & now Google is pinning hopes on Navigation, which IS in beta testing - contrary to what is claimed above.
    What isn't in beta testing from google?! Lol

You're wrong about latitude -Android uses Google Maps with navigation that uses layers which activates latitude and logs you in. It does not touch on the browser just a standalone app.

Latitude has nothing to do with navigation - just a location update for your friends if you decide to use it.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 11-30-09 at 07:51 AM.
    11-30-09 07:49 AM
    Stay away from the Imagio, The only good thing about it is the ability to store and run apps off the memory card...

Droid is a solid smartphone...
    11-30-09 07:52 AM
    What isn't in beta testing from google?! Lol.
    True.

As for the rest of your assertion - that is becoming true now, since Google has changed their business plan since Nav came online - Latitude was originally supposed to be all of this. I can see Nav eventually taking all the features & Latitude will be left behind.

Stay away from the Imagio, The only good thing about it is the ability to store and run apps off the memory card...
    Talk to me Joey - how long did you spend with it & what mods did you do to it? It isn't as good as the O2 (slower processor & screen differences) but for a touchscreen phone, it is good stuff.

There are some things the Moto Droid does better - but not much, nor by much.
    11-30-09 08:04 AM
    By the way - how many more one post drive-bys will we devote so much time to?
    11-30-09 08:05 AM
    True.

As for the rest of your assertion - that is becoming true now, since Google has changed their business plan since Nav came online - Latitude was originally supposed to be all of this. I can see Nav eventually taking all the features & Latitude will be left behind.
    I've had latitude since it came out and it has always been a gps locator for friends. Never seen plans to make it work as navigation since it works as a seperate layers component with the current google nav. Unless you can prove otherwise.

11-30-09 08:27 AM
    Thanks for the help so far. To clarify a little bit more about the google maps I mean that I want a phone that is able to connect its gps to google maps. I thought in the storm 2 it has a gps receiver but it will only work with the stupid verizon navigation program you have to pay for. But in the other phones you can actually download google maps and connect it to the gps? Correct me if I am wrong here. Any more opinions on the Imagio? Is it really that bad? I do alot of stuff in excel and word and it would be nice to be able to look at it or edit it on my phone.
    11-30-09 01:01 PM
    Thanks for the help so far. To clarify a little bit more about the google maps I mean that I want a phone that is able to connect its gps to google maps. I thought in the storm 2 it has a gps receiver but it will only work with the stupid verizon navigation program you have to pay for. But in the other phones you can actually download google maps and connect it to the gps? Correct me if I am wrong here. Any more opinions on the Imagio? Is it really that bad? I do alot of stuff in excel and word and it would be nice to be able to look at it or edit it on my phone.
    Well the Storm 2 can use google maps, but the mapping software is not navigation.

If you need to edit documents then I would consider an htc touch pro 2.

11-30-09 01:13 PM

Droid is a solid smartphone...

I think the Imagio is a pretty slick phone. If I were to buy a WinMo phone right now, it would be the Imagio. Though it is somewhat sluggish still. And when comparing browser speeds to the Droid, it really had trouble keeping up (though the Storm2 was even farther behind).

Though if I were on the market for a WinMo phone, I would wait for the Omnia 2 as it expect it to perform quite a bit better than the Imagio. Plus that AMOLED screen is very nice. Though I haven't been a fan of Samsung's UI... If someone were to want a different skin, it can just be downloaded...
    11-30-09 01:25 PM
    I would say...S2
    11-30-09 01:26 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD