Spoken like a true *** hole.
    Wow been out of Jr High long? Grow up. Name calling is for little kids and people with ego's larger than their brain. Are you on roids or what? All I was trying to say is a fireman is not any better that anyone else.
    11-22-08 09:07 PM
    I'm a FF for FDNY...outside of the occasional fire its the easiest job ever. To be honest I have more respect for FDNY-EMS than I do for my a lot of my co-workers who think they are high and mighty cause they put the wet stuff on the red stuff. EMS is out there in the cold sitting in an ambulance day in day out. We on the other hand sit in a rather nice building waiting for the occasional run.

Think before you speak. You aren't better than anyone because of your job title. Besides, I work for the real fire department

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 09:51 PM
    I'm a FF for FDNY...outside of the occasional fire its the easiest job ever. To be honest I have more respect for FDNY-EMS than I do for my a lot of my co-workers who think they are high and mighty cause they put the wet stuff on the red stuff. EMS is out there in the cold sitting in an ambulance day in day out. We on the other hand sit in a rather nice building waiting for the occasional run.

Think before you speak. You aren't better than anyone because of your job title. Besides, I work for the real fire department

Well said. I was not trying to say anything bad about firemen and I got attacked for it. Thanks for being civil.
    11-22-08 10:07 PM

No one ever said a firefighter was better than a carpenter or a stock broker. If that is how it came across, my apologies. However, a stock broker or carpenter doesn't deal with the kind of stress a firefighter/medic/emt does. The FDNY should know this. Remember 9/11? And if I recall, fire is fire whether it be in NYC or TN. Whether it be a trauma code or a structure fire or a 24 week old premature baby birthed in an alley, it's nice to get a break once in a while amid the stress we deal with. I work in EMS as well so trust me when I say, I know how cold, wet, or hot it gets. The whole point of this is that we offer services to the general public that are not the most desirable jobs to the general public nor the best paying. We are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the bottom line we take home to our families. I take pride in what do. And the $20+ that i could get in a discount every month from my cell bill to put back into groceries is the least they can do. It may not mean a lot to you, but it means a great deal to me.

Kevtigger, you don't have the experience to talk. Go visit an AFD station and go through what they do in a shift and then come and tell me that firefighters have it the same as you or the general public. That would be like saying soldiers shouldn't receive discounts because they're no better than anyone else. Would you go into a burning building? Would you put your hand on a pulsating chest spewing with blood to control the bleeding and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation? Would the general public like to do these kinds of things? I'm sure they would if they absolutely had to, but knowing that all of these could happen at any given time while they would be at work, I doubt it. And I'm sure some of you guys in the FDNY have it good and maybe even easy. Don't speak for the rest of the firefighters in the country if that's the case. You guys know that training is 90% of what we do while the sky is falling the other 10% of the time. I don't consider my job easy. It's hard work and sweat and a lot of it for some people who are just plain ungrateful. But I do it because it's what I love to do. I don't consider that easy. Keep in mind, I too work in EMS and both jobs can be very difficult. I guess you're not at a busy station otherwise I don't see how you would be stating what you are.
    11-22-08 10:28 PM
    No one ever said a firefighter was better than a carpenter or a stock broker. If that is how it came across, my apologies. However, a stock broker or carpenter doesn't deal with the kind of stress a firefighter/medic/emt does. The FDNY should know this. Remember 9/11? And if I recall, fire is fire whether it be in NYC or TN. Whether it be a trauma code or a structure fire or a 24 week old premature baby birthed in an alley, it's nice to get a break once in a while amid the stress we deal with. I work in EMS as well so trust me when I say, I know how cold, wet, or hot it gets. The whole point of this is that we offer services to the general public that are not the most desirable jobs to the general public nor the best paying. We are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the bottom line we take home to our families. I take pride in what do. And the $20+ that i could get in a discount every month from my cell bill to put back into groceries is the least they can do. It may not mean a lot to you, but it means a great deal to me.

Kevtigger, you don't have the experience to talk. Go visit an AFD station and go through what they do in a shift and then come and tell me that firefighters have it the same as you or the general public. That would be like saying soldiers shouldn't receive discounts because they're no better than anyone else. Would you go into a burning building? Would you put your hand on a pulsating chest spewing with blood to control the bleeding and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation? Would the general public like to do these kinds of things? I'm sure they would if they absolutely had to, but knowing that all of these could happen at any given time while they would be at work, I doubt it. And I'm sure some of you guys in the FDNY have it good and maybe even easy. Don't speak for the rest of the firefighters in the country if that's the case. You guys know that training is 90% of what we do while the sky is falling the other 10% of the time. I don't consider my job easy. It's hard work and sweat and a lot of it for some people who are just plain ungrateful. But I do it because it's what I love to do. I don't consider that easy. Keep in mind, I too work in EMS and both jobs can be very difficult. I guess you're not at a busy station otherwise I don't see how you would be stating what you are.
    If they can do it for a fireman they should do it for everybody. Fair is fair.
    11-22-08 10:40 PM
    This seems to be one of those iffy subjects. If I go to the Verizon site and punch in my work email address, it says I qualify for it. When My wife and I went from Sprint to Verizon, they couldn't find that info in the computer system, and said specifically that firefighters in general are not covered. Your actual department affiliation must be listed in the system. So, I just used my wife's discount instead. I really wish they would clear things up about this. When I was at Sprint, that was one thing that was a piece of cake. Show your ID, get the discount, and they sent you to government customer care whenever you had a problem. There seems to be a lot of unknowns with Verizon. The rep in store told me my BB plan qualified for a discount. Yeah, Verizon removed that after 2 months, and I got the rep on the phone I spoke with to admit that the rep in the store lied to me. The service is great, but I am putting the Customer Service into the questionable category.
    i put my college e-mail in the list, as well as my .mac account. and it said i qualified, i'm pretty sure you had the whole bait and switch pulled on you.
    11-22-08 10:41 PM
    If they can do it for a fireman they should do it for everybody. Fair is fair.
    Do you always whine?
    11-22-08 10:52 PM
    Do you always whine?
    Does the big bad fireman feel like a man now? Youre the one that thinks you are owed something for being a fireman, get over yourself. Be a real man and pay your bills with out help.
    madman0141 likes this.
    11-22-08 11:05 PM
    You really aren't worth my time buddy. Do you even work for living or live off of mom and dad still?
    11-23-08 11:26 AM
    I wonder why we reporters, who have to get up out of bed to follow you guys to the 2 a.m. blazes and fatals, don't get one. :P
    11-23-08 11:28 AM
    I wonder why we reporters, who have to get up out of bed to follow you guys to the 2 a.m. blazes and fatals, don't get one. :P
    My point exactly.
    madman0141 likes this.
    11-23-08 11:32 AM
    You really aren't worth my time buddy. Do you even work for living or live off of mom and dad still?
    I take care of my business on my own without handouts thank you.

Im not your buddy, Im not fond of freeloaders and people looking for handouts because they assume, because of what they do they deserve it.

Since you like to assume stuff about me, I will assume the the following about you.
    I assume you think health insurance is a right not a privilege of the working class Like Mr Obama. And welfare should be given to people who refuse to work.
    madman0141 likes this.
    11-23-08 11:45 AM
    My point exactly.
    ... because their job can be stressful. But only a handful of them suffer from the megalomania that this guy does. And he is of the type that is ostracized within the station; rarely do their careers last long. Most FF/EMTs are down-to-earth and realize they aren't God.

It's perfectly appropriate to give governmental agencies group discounts on cell phones and other equipment used on the job. But for personal reasons? Erm, no. The guys in my coverage area would laugh at a post like that guy's (can't recall his handle at the moment) where he whips out the violin and cries about needing more grocery money, while at the same time taunting the rest of us with gruesome tales over how grueling it is to enter an engulfed structure. The truth is that rarely happens (as he knows very well). The truth also is that the window of opportunity for cashing in on the babe-magnet, public-sympathy status of firefighter ended a few years after 9/11 (yes, we remember 9/11, and firefighters weren't the only ones impacted by it).

Often cell providers will suspend the coverage and billing for service members while they're deployed. Sprint did that for my nephew, who spent 9 months in Beautiful Downtown Ramadi ditching IEDs -- one of which killed his best friend -- and watching innocent villagers clamor for safety. He would probably cringe at the drama-soaked post of our firefighter friend here who seems to think that the art of crawling through smoke-ridden rooms is the most lethal act in history. So be it.

Anyway, these companies are private businesses and are entitled to give status discounts to whomever they choose. I'm sure they realize, though, that there are any number of occupations that contribute greatly to the public's well-being -- and who don't launch into Drama King mode and bully others who dare to question why they are so special.
    11-23-08 12:16 PM
    And by the way, FAW911, my job is just as stressful as yours, yet I don't make 1/2 of what you do.
    11-23-08 12:20 PM
    ... because their job can be stressful. But only a handful of them suffer from the megalomania that this guy does. And he is of the type that is ostracized within the station; rarely do their careers last long. Most FF/EMTs are down-to-earth and realize they aren't God.

It's perfectly appropriate to give governmental agencies group discounts on cell phones and other equipment used on the job. But for personal reasons? Erm, no. The guys in my coverage area would laugh at a post like that guy's (can't recall his handle at the moment) where he whips out the violin and cries about needing more grocery money, while at the same time taunting the rest of us with gruesome tales over how grueling it is to enter an engulfed structure. The truth is that rarely happens (as he knows very well). The truth also is that the window of opportunity for cashing in on the babe-magnet, public-sympathy status of firefighter ended a few years after 9/11 (yes, we remember 9/11, and firefighters weren't the only ones impacted by it).

Often cell providers will suspend the coverage and billing for service members while they're deployed. Sprint did that for my nephew, who spent 9 months in Beautiful Downtown Ramadi ditching IEDs -- one of which killed his best friend -- and watching innocent villagers clamor for safety. He would probably cringe at the drama-soaked post of our firefighter friend here who seems to think that the art of crawling through smoke-ridden rooms is the most lethal act in history. So be it.

Anyway, these companies are private businesses and are entitled to give status discounts to whomever they choose. I'm sure they realize, though, that there are any number of occupations that contribute greatly to the public's well-being -- and who don't launch into Drama King mode and bully others who dare to question why they are so special.
    AMEN!!!!!!!!
    11-23-08 12:39 PM
    The issue is that you two could not care less and that your minds are already made up. And for the record, Obama was not my idea of a president nor did he get my vote. You can thank your coworkers and the drive-by media for that one. It is people like you who have turned this nation into a spectacle and a joke. Life isn't serious to you. Life is just here and gone and that's it. You go to work, make a paycheck, engage in some pointless friendships and go home. Your fingerprint on society doesn't matter to you because in you're reality, nothing does matter. I don't live that way and neither do millions of others. I agree that health insurance isn't a right nor is welfare. These things were put into place to assist those who work hard and in turn are rewarded with lower premiums for insurancethrough their workplace or welfare for those who are making an attempt at a real life. Others have come along and abused health insurance by fraud and welfare by being apathetic and not seeing that they are hurting those who really do need help in true hardships.

Inconsiderate and oblivious people such as yourselves who think they know what emergency service personnel do will never be able to comprehend what actually goes on behind the scenes because all you see is what is reported. Therefore you will never appreciate the jobs we do and never care to think we should get a discount on our cell bill because we don't belong to a corporate entity. And leftcoaster, you don't know truth. You're a modern day reporter. Oh I'm sorry. I just assumed.
    11-23-08 01:21 PM
    My coworkers cover a mid-sized city and had nothing to do with the national election. Your co-workers suffered from huge funding cuts thanks to the last president. The last thing any of my public safety sources would call me is "rude" or "inconsiderate." I have a healthy respect for what they do. But you know something? If I printed out your posts skewering Kevtigger and the others, demanding respect and taunting them over their (imagined) inability to do your so-called hideously tough job, and showed them to my Fire Chief, he'd demand to know who wrote them. That individual would be on **** duty until Kingdom Come.
    11-23-08 02:23 PM
    And does anyone else get a giggle out of the fact that "FAW"'s sig line is from a fictional piece of literature? Heh.
    11-23-08 02:28 PM
    The issue is that you two could not care less and that your minds are already made up. And for the record, Obama was not my idea of a president nor did he get my vote. You can thank your coworkers and the drive-by media for that one. It is people like you who have turned this nation into a spectacle and a joke. Life isn't serious to you. Life is just here and gone and that's it. You go to work, make a paycheck, engage in some pointless friendships and go home. Your fingerprint on society doesn't matter to you because in you're reality, nothing does matter. I don't live that way and neither do millions of others. I agree that health insurance isn't a right nor is welfare. These things were put into place to assist those who work hard and in turn are rewarded with lower premiums for insurancethrough their workplace or welfare for those who are making an attempt at a real life. Others have come along and abused health insurance by fraud and welfare by being apathetic and not seeing that they are hurting those who really do need help in true hardships.

Inconsiderate and oblivious people such as yourselves who think they know what emergency service personnel do will never be able to comprehend what actually goes on behind the scenes because all you see is what is reported. Therefore you will never appreciate the jobs we do and never care to think we should get a discount on our cell bill because we don't belong to a corporate entity. And leftcoaster, you don't know truth. You're a modern day reporter. Oh I'm sorry. I just assumed.
    There you go assuming again. The issue is I asked the following simple questions
    (Why not give everyone a discount? Why do firemen deserve one when the general public does not ? I think thats just wrong.)
    and you chose to go off like a lunatic.
    Can you not deal with a simple question like an adult?
    Does it make you feel better to call people names?
    11-23-08 03:10 PM
    And does anyone else get a giggle out of the fact that "FAW"'s sig line is from a fictional piece of literature? Heh.
    Very funny indeed.
    11-23-08 03:11 PM
    There you go assuming again. The issue is I asked the following simple questions
    (Why not give everyone a discount? Why do firemen deserve one when the general public does not ? I think thats just wrong.)
    and you chose to go off like a lunatic.
    Can you not deal with a simple question like an adult?
    Does it make you feel better to call people names?
    You're both hopeless. Utterly hopeless and what a waste.
    11-23-08 03:36 PM
    You're both hopeless. Utterly hopeless and what a waste.
    Wow thats all you can say. I was just curious why you could not answer a simple question like an adult.

Here is a direct quote from one of your earlier posts
    "The whole point of this is that we offer services to the general public that are not the most desirable jobs to the general public nor the best paying. We are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the bottom line we take home to our families. I take pride in what do. And the $20+ that i could get in a discount every month from my cell bill to put back into groceries is the least they can do."
    With that logic the garbagemen and sewer system workers deserve a discount as well.
    If you cant understand my argument i feel sorry for you.
    11-23-08 03:48 PM
    My coworkers cover a mid-sized city and had nothing to do with the national election. Your co-workers suffered from huge funding cuts thanks to the last president. The last thing any of my public safety sources would call me is "rude" or "inconsiderate." I have a healthy respect for what they do. But you know something? If I printed out your posts skewering Kevtigger and the others, demanding respect and taunting them over their (imagined) inability to do your so-called hideously tough job, and showed them to my Fire Chief, he'd demand to know who wrote them. That individual would be on **** duty until Kingdom Come.
    I don't demand respect. Respect is earned. Does Kevtrigger feel skewed? How does that work when this whole thread is about firefighter discounts and you come on here condemning it when in most places it's already offered? You go ahead and share this with other firefighters. Please do! Although I'm sure you'll "skew" the whole thing being as you like to misquote things like how I called you 'rude'. Typical of a below grade reporter who can't even get facts straight on a simple forum. And taunting is a poor choice as well. The new topic of this thread should read, 'Firefighters are no better than the general public. If we the public don't get discounts, they shouldn't either.' Kevtigger said fair is fair. Ok then, if this is the case then you would have to condemn anyone who makes more money than you. They are no better than you so why should they get paid more. Fair is fair right? Doctors aren't any better than reporters right? Saving a limb or restarting a heart is no more important than writing a column on Jessica Simpson's country music. Fair is fair. Dentists shouldn't make millions of dollars when the industry sells food that rots the teeth of the general public who, by the way, don't make that much in a lifetime. Everyone is the same. Baseball players, electricians, bankers, executives, firefighters, and reporters. No one is special. Right? Everyone has a job and there is nothing special about that job that sets them apart from the next person. Spread the wealth because that's being fair right?

If you're going to make a comment about being fair, include the rest of it because that's what it does include. But there's better word for what you say should be Kevtigger. Communism. Marxism is also a good choice for what you want.
    11-23-08 04:12 PM
    Wow thats all you can say. I was just curious why you could not answer a simple question like an adult.

Here is a direct quote from one of your earlier posts
    "The whole point of this is that we offer services to the general public that are not the most desirable jobs to the general public nor the best paying. We are on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to the bottom line we take home to our families. I take pride in what do. And the $20+ that i could get in a discount every month from my cell bill to put back into groceries is the least they can do."
    With that logic the garbagemen and sewer system workers deserve a discount as well.
    If you cant understand my argument i feel sorry for you.
    I agree that they should get a discount. I never said the general public should not get a discount. I said we shouldn't be lumped into the general public when you are saying that our job isn't all that different. We are talking on the basis of courtesy. A courtesy you don't seem to care about. Your simple question is not one I can answer because I am not the cell phone company. Take it up with them. I'm not saying we deserve anything at all. It would be nice of them to do it because of what we do, but you don't seem to think that way. Courtesy. Ever been nice to someone because they did something for you and what you did just so happen to help them out?
    11-23-08 04:25 PM
    "" Although I'm sure you'll "skew" the whole thing being as you like to misquote things like how I called you 'rude'. ""

Well, speaking of misquoting, the word is SKEWERED, hon. And I don't write columns on Jessica Simpson. I cover murders, hostage standoffs and other public safety events where I often arrive before aid cars do, but never before law enforcement -- you know, the guys you REALLY want to be. I remember standing behind my deputy friends when a wanted suspect blew his head off. The FF/EMTs were safely staged blocks away, thankfully, so they could airlift him. Alas, it was too late. But I saw it happen. They didn't.

Then I had to get up three hours later and cover a State Supreme Court hearing on land use, explaining the very complex growth management act to my readers. That night I had to cover elections, tracking down candidates for City Council, State Senate, Superior Court Judge, Port Commissioner, School Board, and a diverse range of people whose campaigns spread over the largest range of issues you can imagine. Think you could wrap that gargantuan brain around these things? Do you understand municipal government? Constitutional law? State law as it applies to special education?

Naw, I thought not.

But you go ahead and slam my performance as a journalist, when you know nothing about me, and I'll engage you in your fantasy of being just another chick who bows down before you for being a rough-and-tumble firefighter. Why, you're just a notch down from the celebrated UPS guy.

Now, seriously, I can't think of anyone in the District who's as much of a blowhard as you are. And I'm embarrassed for you in your attempt to look like a tough guy, and shake down mere phone users who legitimately ask you why you're such a freakin' hero that you deserve a few bucks a month off of your phone bill.

Quit while you're only marginally behind, junior.
    Last edited by leftcoaster; 11-23-08 at 05:12 PM.
    11-23-08 04:54 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD