I am going to the UK in January, I was told I had to contact Sprint for an unlock code in order to use GSM. I called Sprint just a bit ago, was sent to the international services people. The lady looked up my info, she told me my phone was already unlocked and I don't need a code.

Am I mistaken? Do these phones (Tour) come unlocked? Is there a way to verify that it is, in fact unlocked before I leave the country? Any way to tell by looking through the options menu? I would hate to get there and find I have been given wrong information. Thanks.
    12-20-09 05:36 PM
    The Tour to my knowledge does not come as unlocked. Did you purchase it directly from Sprint or someone else? I would call back again, just to verify someone wasnt being lazy or misunderstood.

I had to call and have my Verizon Tour unlocked when I had it...
    12-20-09 05:51 PM
    Options layout may vary some but.. Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card -> BB Button (Show Keyboard, if it isn't already) type "MEPD" without the quotes. If your phone is unlocked "Network" will be "Inactive."
    12-20-09 05:58 PM
    Some Sprint Tours come unlocked.

To check:

Options>Advanced Options>Sim Card

then just type MEPD

If your network says active, it's locked.
    12-20-09 05:59 PM
    Yes, the sprint tour is unlocked. all you have to do is call the international department to turn on international service. do this and pay $40 for the month to use unlimited data for internet access and instant messaging**** calling rates not included****. the $40 is prorated for the amount of time in use, for example 2wks/$20, make sure you give them a date to turn international rate off. you can then purchase a local sim card for calling/texts in the uk. i've used the tour in mexico and italy without any problems.
    12-20-09 06:10 PM
    verizon tour is locked. they do this so you are forced to use their international partner sim cards such as vodafone
    12-20-09 06:13 PM
    But I don't have a sim card in it and won't until I leave. I took the one that comes installed out a while ago. I can reinstall that. Isn't that just a dummy?
    12-20-09 06:15 PM
    But I don't have a sim card in it and won't until I leave. I took the one that comes installed out a while ago. I can reinstall that. Isn't that just a dummy?
    No, it's a global SIM which will work on foreign GSM networks if, as advised above, you activate international service. But if you're going to get a SIM from GOSim or someone else it doesn't much matter that you removed it.
    12-20-09 06:21 PM
    Well that's good to know, considering I now can't find the original sim.
    12-20-09 06:37 PM
    The Tour to my knowledge does not come as unlocked. Did you purchase it directly from Sprint or someone else? I would call back again, just to verify someone wasnt being lazy or misunderstood.

Sprint Tours are already unlocked. If any Tours were locked, they were probably from the very first batch of Tours.
    12-20-09 10:59 PM
    Mine all said "disabled" with or without the sim inserted.
    12-21-09 12:11 AM
    Sprint Tours are already unlocked. If any Tours were locked, they were probably from the very first batch of Tours.
    Yup, I received my first Tour on 07/14 and spent 2 weeks convincing a CS rep it was locked. RIM messed up and shipped them locked. They had to give Sprint unlock codes.

Mine all said "disabled" with or without the sim inserted.
    The newer factory unlocked Tours all say disabled; your Tour IS indeed unlocked. If you have a Sprint Tour from the first batch, it will show "Network: Inactive" if it was unlocked by a previous owner.

Thanks for chiming in with inaccurate information.

VZW Tours do not come unlocked, Sprint Tours are unlocked. The first Sprint Tours did come locked, but that was RIM's little slip up, this has been rectified for a LONG time.
    12-21-09 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD