What happens if you want to get a replacement for your defective blackberry? Does rogers send you a brand new unit, a refurb, or is it a crapshoot?
    08-03-09 03:50 PM
    Refurb 99% of the time.
    08-03-09 03:51 PM
    thanks for the info
    08-04-09 12:18 PM
    Depends.

If your device is within 30 days of purchase, then they will send you a brand new.

If you exceed that, then they would send you a refurb one.

In my experience, I have used both brand new and refurb ones and you cannot tell the difference.
    08-04-09 12:47 PM
    better new than refurbished!
    08-05-09 04:44 PM
    not always, sometimes the new units have the same defect or other ones, and at least the refurbed ones have been tested for those flaws
    08-06-09 02:29 PM
    Ive got a bold that I'm about to ask for a 4th replacement on.

First new one out of box rebooted all the time
    first replacement refurb did the same thing
    second replacement reburb was scratched up
    third replacement refurb has bum pixels

Last time I asked for a replacement I talked to retentions and they offered for me to buy a new phone for $600 when I asked for a new device instead of refurb..lol so I opted to try another refurb...and low and behold I'll need to go through this song and dance again.

such bad luck
    08-06-09 03:47 PM
    When I had to send mine in for a busted screen they sent me a refurb. Honestly only two things would give it away that it was a refurb:

1. Box it was shipped in said refurb unit.
    2. Battery door had scratches on the chrome piece around the camera lens. (I just kept the battery door of my broken phone and shipped out the refurb one)

Other than that refurb has had 0 issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 01:00 AM
    Wow, I haven't even had that problem, my refurbs looked brand new and the one replacement that worked the longest was the second refurb unit.

The whole problem on the bold the screen is too close to the lens that covers it and causes problems.

08-07-09 09:11 PM
    Hi,

How can I tell if my unit from Rogers is a refurb? My bold was making noises (I posted about it today) and Rogers told me they'd send a new unit since I just got my Bold less than 30 days ago. Is there anyway to tell if I get a new unit when I receive it?

Thanks

edit: Caspian, you mentioned that you couldn't tell the difference b/w a refurb and a new one...did Rogers at least label the refurb as refurb?
    01-20-10 02:31 PM
    They put a letter in the box explaining that its a refurb.

If you bought the device from a store, they usually give you a brand new one off the shelf if its within a certain timeframe. Not so sure the call center will give you a new one, very unlikely.

01-20-10 02:34 PM
    This may be off topic, but is there any way that I can buy a refurbished unit from Rogers without a contract ???
    01-20-10 09:52 PM
    yes, they are refurbished most of the time
    01-21-10 01:32 AM
    This may be off topic, but is there any way that I can buy a refurbished unit from Rogers without a contract ???
    It's through their lost stolen broken phone program. The price is horrible though, I would suggest you just purchase a new one outright. The lost stolen broken phone program doesn't require a term unless you have less than a year left on yours.
    01-21-10 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD