Does anyone know whether Google Maps, other Google apps, and other third party apps all use BIS to communicate, or do they have a direct TCP or socket connection to the network?

I know Google Maps does not offer any options to change the connection type, but was wondering if anyone knows of a way to change it.

I'm not limited by BIS or anything, but I know direct connects are faster.
    11-12-09 10:57 AM
    If running through the BlackBerry browser, it goes through RIM proxies, as do most online apps.
    11-12-09 11:55 AM
    I'm not running google maps through the browser, I downloaded the google maps app (which was downloaded via the BB browser). Would it still use RIM proxies?

I know some of the other browsers like Bolt and Opera mini have "socket" connections, which I understand make a direct TCP connection to the network... was just curious about the google apps and others.
    11-12-09 12:01 PM
    With the BB firewall enabled, you're required to approve the connection initiated by the Google Maps application . . . for that reason I believe it's a direct connection.
    11-12-09 12:01 PM
    I'm not running google maps through the browser, I downloaded the google maps app (which was downloaded via the BB browser). Would it still use RIM proxies?

I know some of the other browsers like Bolt and Opera mini have "socket" connections, which I understand make a direct TCP connection to the network... was just curious about the google apps and others.
    The Google Maps app may use a direct connection - haven't tried it on BlackBerry, so I am uncertain & will defer on that & agree with what Dodge mentioned above.
    11-12-09 12:06 PM
    I installed googlemaps on my Berry a while ago and it appears as if it uses the apn for "wap"-connections or "bis".

I have a dataplan which has a BIS and a "wap"-flat. Even though I use the google-software very often I have not been charged with any amount what-so-ever. If it used the apn through "web" I would be broke by now.
    11-12-09 12:48 PM
    Thanks folks. Tetra, how do you tell what apn an application is using - and is this changeable?
    11-13-09 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD