Hi, I'm joel. I'm new to blackberry. I'm hoping that some one could help me. The other day I won a blackberry 8830 from ebay. The phone condition was not mint, it has some scratches and even a dent. But the phone works great. Is there any place for GSM sim card, because I live in Indonesia now. Do you think I should just sell it? because the phone is still in US.
    Thanks a lot everyone!
    10-27-08 02:09 AM
    Yes it has a SIM card slot. Provided that your carrier operates on the same frequency as the 8830, it will work fine.
    10-27-08 02:19 AM
    If its a Verizon phone then no. Verizon is CMDA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 02:28 AM
    If its a Verizon phone then no. Verizon is CMDA.
    The 8830 is the World Edition and despite the fact that is on VZW, it does have
    a SIM slot and the SIM portion can be unlocked.
    10-27-08 02:35 AM
    The 8830 is the World Edition and despite the fact that is on VZW, it does have
    a SIM slot and the SIM portion can be unlocked.
    This is true! It does have a sim, just to the left of the SD card slot if you're looking at it. However, to unlock it to use it on other carriers, I'm told VZW won't do it unless you paid full retail for it. However, I think that you'll be able to get the contacts off the SIM from another provider and copy them to the address book on the 8830WE, if that's what you're trying to do.
    10-27-08 08:44 AM
    I just bought a BB Pearl from eBay too, that is stamped with the Verizon logo on the outer shell! The ad stated it was an "unlocked" phone... so should be easy to activate on any network! (Provided it has a sim card slot)

I 100% guarantee, it DOES NOT have a sim card slot that is visible to the naked eye! I have had techs look at this phone and short of taking it completely apart to look for the sim card slot, it does not have one!

So, all you people saying yes, it has a slot... NO, IT DOES NOT!!!!!
    I'll take pictures of the underside of the battery and prove it does not have a visibly obvious sim card slot!
    12-30-08 10:34 AM
    andhe01, you do realize the subject of this thread is the 8830 and
    not the Pearl 8130. Not ONE single person mentioned your model
    having a SIM card slot.
    12-30-08 10:45 AM
    *slaps forehead* when did anyone say anything about the 8130. *sigh*
    12-30-08 11:06 AM
    is this the point where someone says: * well, andhe01 did. DUH!*
    12-30-08 11:13 AM
    is this the point where someone says: * well, andhe01 did. DUH!*
    lol i think so
    12-30-08 11:15 AM
    this site is both comical and useful
    12-30-08 11:18 AM
    thank you, thankyouverymuch.

*exits stage down ahhhhhhh!*
    12-30-08 11:22 AM
    I just bought a BB Pearl from eBay too, that is stamped with the Verizon logo on the outer shell! The ad stated it was an "unlocked" phone... so should be easy to activate on any network! (Provided it has a sim card slot)

I 100% guarantee, it DOES NOT have a sim card slot that is visible to the naked eye! I have had techs look at this phone and short of taking it completely apart to look for the sim card slot, it does not have one!

So, all you people saying yes, it has a slot... NO, IT DOES NOT!!!!!
    I'll take pictures of the underside of the battery and prove it does not have a visibly obvious sim card slot!
    The 8130 is a CDMA only device. No SIM card. If it is "unlocked" then it may be possible to use it on another CDMA network. If the eBay seller led you to believe it could be used on any network in the world, then you might want to consider asking for your money back and returning it. Nowhere in the specs of the 8130 (from Blackberry or reputable sources) does it state it can be used on any network in the world. It wasn't designed for that.

The 8830 does have a SIM slot (and I believe the Storm does as well), but that's it as far as Verizon branded Blackberry devices. Those are the only two that will work on GSM based networks (and the 8830 is limited to only the frequencies used outside the US, IIRC, so even that device can't be used on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US).
    12-30-08 11:23 AM
    The 8130 is a CDMA only device. No SIM card. If it is "unlocked" then it may be possible to use it on another CDMA network. If the eBay seller led you to believe it could be used on any network in the world, then you might want to consider asking for your money back and returning it. Nowhere in the specs of the 8130 (from Blackberry or reputable sources) does it state it can be used on any network in the world. It wasn't designed for that.

The 8830 does have a SIM slot (and I believe the Storm does as well), but that's it as far as Verizon branded Blackberry devices. Those are the only two that will work on GSM based networks (and the 8830 is limited to only the frequencies used outside the US, IIRC, so even that device can't be used on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US).
    i have a Verizon BB 8130 and i am trying to unlock my phone for the Crickit (CDMA) network, do you know of a way to do this, even a service?
    01-11-09 02:48 PM
    i have a Verizon BB 8130 and i am trying to unlock my phone for the Crickit (CDMA) network, do you know of a way to do this, even a service?
    Check your local craigslist, I know around here there are usually about 9-10 ads a day for Cricket unlock services. with that being said, Cricket doesn't have the service books to send to operate the pearl on their system so it would only work for phone and text, no internet.
    01-11-09 06:43 PM
    hence why i got a blackberry
    01-11-09 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD