I live in South Florida and there are some areas where out in the open my phone goes to SOS. I've called T-Mobile and they keep looking at their map and telling me that I should have strong coverage. I give them specific locations and they tell me they will forward it to the engineers for invertigation and if there's a system problem it will be resolved in a week. This has been told me to me about 6 times over the past 2 years.

So I was wondering if I upgrade to the new Bold 9700 will the 3G make a difference? Or is a dead area a dead area no matter what?

I really like my current plan (which is no longer available) as well as their tech support. But if I continue to run into dead areas why good is all this?

I can upgrade to the 9700 in 2 days or wait a month and jump ship.
    11-14-09 05:36 PM
    If you have 3G coverage in the area then it should help with your current situation. 3G allows for faster data and simultaneous voice and data transfers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-09 05:54 PM
    But if I continue to run into dead areas why good is all this?
    No carrier is going to please everyone. All carriers have their weak spots.

I'd be wary of believing that 3G is going to be any solution to your problem. If the tower can't reach you with Edge, it's not likely it's going to reach you with 3G.

You might look into UMA. Most of my calls are UMA calls but then I have UMA connectivity at home, at work, at the shopping mall, at the library ... and on and on.

If UMA doesn't help you out, you are better off finding a carrier who works well in your specific area. I love T-Mobile but I'd be the first to say that it never makes sense to use any carrier who can't meet your service expectations.
    11-14-09 06:17 PM
    I'd call T-Mobile again, explain the issue, & ask for a new sim card. Maybe your sim card doesn't register on your towers properly, if that still doesn't work, call threaten to leave & talk w/retentions, but please be kind to the CSRs.

11-14-09 06:52 PM
    I agree, it may be a prob with your phone or SIM. I would get that checked out as the coverage map shows signal's there.

If that doesn't work, then maybe t-Mobile's not for you, esp if you're getting dead spots EVERYWHERE. Call up and ask to leave w/o a ETF as you've tried all the phone/SIM troubleshoot routes and nothing worked.

11-14-09 09:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD