Bought a locked 8220 of eBay with a cracked screeen, replaced the LCD and got the unlock code from GSM Phonesource (thank you!). Also put the AT&T service books on it manuelly from the info found here and with changed the TCP APN to the correct AT&T info.

Anyhow, gave it to my wife who had a LG Shine which on her plan she has unlimited data, here basic functions like SMS, MMS, Internet all work just fine so do I need to have the AT&T BIS data service? Not trying to cheat AT&T but the personal blackberry plan is $30 a month and the standard unlimited she is paying now is just $10.

My wife isn't interested in BBPIM'ing, she just thrilled to have a blackberry! Is there anything that going to some back and catch me later on this? I can assume that should anything changes on AT&T network I can't just re-send service books OTA.

What am I going to miss not having the full BIS data service from AT&T and will they be able to figure out I have a BlackBerry instead of LG Shine?

Thoughts?

Also, how hard is it to get AT&T to add BIS to 8220? I found here that some have had a difficult time getting shuffled to different people, It doesn't appear you can add it online unlike my daughter's AT&T Pearl. For kicks I tried registering on the AT&T BIS login page but it came back and stated that the device was registered to another wireless carrier.
    05-13-09 09:45 AM
    You will need to get it unassociated with whatever BIS server it is currently registered. Then you will need to add a BIS plan to the line.

Not having BIS will cause email to not work along with BBMessenger. There are a few other programs here and there that won't work.

It is possible that they will catch her activity on a line audit and could potentially chanrge you for the back data usage. I don't know how likely that is to happen.
    05-13-09 01:16 PM
    The 8220 has wi-fi, which she can still use for normal things such as BBM and Email and the sorts. Wi-Fi is limited on applications, so that is a downside.

As far as what you are doing, why not have a family plan? It will cost you the same in the long run.
    05-13-09 02:51 PM
    Is there a "family" blackberry plan? She has family talk and messaging and then my daughter's BB which is $30 just for that BB Pearl.

It's my understanding that data plans with AT&T are individual?? but I have heard rumors of a family "all in one" data package that will be offered sometime??

My situation is unusual as I have Sprint with a Sprint family plan for me and my son I while my wife has AT&T with her's and my daughter's BB.
    05-13-09 03:21 PM
    if you have 1 account, 2+ lines, just make it a family plan! It will save you a bunch in the long run. AT&T has family data plans, and are more affordable than you think. Look online and see for yourself or call a rep. They same plans run the same as they do with Sprint and Verizon. Usually with 2 lines on a family dataplan, it runs about $120 a month with a basic 1400 minute talk plan. So check that out.
    05-13-09 03:25 PM
    I didn't see any family data plans unless I'm missing something I already have FamilyTalk Nation 700 ($60) with Messenging Unlimited ($30).

In the manage features section, with my daughter's Pearl, the least expensive data option is $30 for Personal BlackBerry and with my wife's prev phone having the messenging unlimited allows for unlimited data for $10

So fabuloso, are you saying that if I go up to the family talk 1400, I can get unlimited txt messenging and unlimited BlackBerry BIS on both devices?

I went ATT's site, made up a order for two blackberry's, family 1400 for $89, family messenging for $30 and I had to add personal blackberry which is $30 to each line of which makes it $179 monthly, that's a little more than $120 a month. There were no options to add a family data plan when BlackBerrys were involved.
    Last edited by eBoyDog; 05-13-09 at 04:12 PM.
    05-13-09 03:54 PM
    You might consider looking at a Sprint's SERO Family plan and moving away from AT&T.

I can't link because I just registered, but it's sprint dot com slash sero.
    russ.s.mcguire at sprint.com

Everything Family
    $109.99 for 2 lines, $125 for 3 lines, $140 for 4 lines

It's basically everything sprint has, unlimited text/picture/video, sprint tv, sprint navigation, Blackberry Internet Services, 1600 minutes, unlimited on weekends and after 7PM, unlimited mobile to mobile and a few other things (NFL, NASCAR things)
    05-19-09 10:16 AM
    I can't answer your PM because it says I have to have over 10 posts to start replying to PMs. Here's what I tried to reply to you with:

No, it's only valid for new lines. You'd need to cancel your old plan and sign up for the new one. Look at how much you spend now, versus the SERO price, look at the amount of months you have left on contract, and then look at the early termination fee (I think I read something about ETFs being prorated now too). Then determine if you would save money waiting for your contract to expire, or if you would save money paying the ETF and changing now.
    05-19-09 02:18 PM
    if you have 1 account, 2+ lines, just make it a family plan! It will save you a bunch in the long run. AT&T has family data plans, and are more affordable than you think. Look online and see for yourself or call a rep. They same plans run the same as they do with Sprint and Verizon. Usually with 2 lines on a family dataplan, it runs about $120 a month with a basic 1400 minute talk plan. So check that out.
    actually BB data plans are individual in all instances with AT&T - there is not a family data plan that involves BBs.

there is however a family voice plan. and also there is a family text messaging feature that can be added as well.
    05-19-09 02:24 PM
    Thank you Ualdayan, that's kinda what I thought.
    05-19-09 04:16 PM
    and dont forget to get the AT&T SIM Card too..or else you can't get that sucker over.
    05-19-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD