Thanks for your help. This is my first post here at Crackberry!

I have been getting conflicting info from Verizon customer service. I have a Storm 2 with a standard USA plan. Going to Cabo, Mexico early next week for a vacation. Need to have my phone active down there.

I have already signed up for an int'l plan including Mexico. Support person #1 says I am good to go. Support person #2 says I need to "activate" the SIM by providing a number of the SIM card.
    02-25-10 01:35 PM
    Mexico uses CDMA, so a SIM card is not needed. If you want Unlimited data you can add that for 64.99. Calls will be 0.99 and text will be 0.50 to send 0.05 to receive.
    02-25-10 01:37 PM
    What Mario said.

Our only roaming agreements in mexico are CDMA, so a SIM is not needed, and in fact will do next to nothing.

In some cases a package plan will require it, but other than that...
    02-25-10 02:10 PM
    Thanks for your help. This is my first post here at Crackberry!

I have been getting conflicting info from Verizon customer service. I have a Storm 2 with a standard USA plan. Going to Cabo, Mexico early next week for a vacation. Need to have my phone active down there.

I have already signed up for an int'l plan including Mexico. Support person #1 says I am good to go. Support person #2 says I need to "activate" the SIM by providing a number of the SIM card.
    Why don't you just activate it anyway. It can be done with customer service on the phone

I don't know if this is what you signed up for but you can change to the global roaming plan which is prorated for the time you are away. Call Verizon and tell them the day to activate it and the day to deactivate. The phone and messaging is as stated in another post.

Data such as email, BBM, and internet are unlimited at no extra charge.
    02-25-10 03:07 PM
    Why don't you just activate it anyway. It can be done with customer service on the phone

I don't know if this is what you signed up for but you can change to the global roaming plan which is prorated for the time you are away. Call Verizon and tell them the day to activate it and the day to deactivate. The phone and messaging is as stated in another post.

Data such as email, BBM, and internet are unlimited at no extra charge.
    This is a prime example of conflicting information the OP is refering to. The data plan is not available for no extra charge. Its 64.99 or 69.99. The SIM card is not needed for Mexico, Canada, Japan, China and other CDMA countries. So you would not need to activate it.
    02-25-10 03:14 PM
    This is a prime example of conflicting information the OP is refering to. The data plan is not available for no extra charge. Its 64.99 or 69.99. The SIM card is not needed for Mexico, Canada, Japan, China and other CDMA countries. So you would not need to activate it.
    If you activate international Data just prior to your trip and remove it just after you get back, Verizon will prorate the charge. So don't let the $69.99 charge scare you. I did this last year and it only added about $20.00 to my monthly charge for that month.
    02-25-10 03:45 PM
    I did not say that the data plan was at no extra charge. What I did say was that if you change to the global roaming plan all data is included.
    02-26-10 10:55 AM
    I did not say that the data plan was at no extra charge. What I did say was that if you change to the global roaming plan all data is included.
    As far as I know of, there is NO plan that includes data for international roaming. All data is a bolt on feature. This includes the pay as you go, the 64.99 plan and the 69.98 plans.
    02-26-10 11:09 AM
    Really?

Data such as email, BBM, and internet are unlimited at no extra charge
    Looks like thats what you said.
    02-26-10 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD