Alright, Ive browsed all 8 pages of uscc, read multiple threads, and still dont understand. I might be slow, or it might be because its 3am (ish), and Im exhausted. Could someone lay this out as simple as possible for me please.
    I just got a blackberry 8330 over uscc's promotion around black friday. I went with the 39.95 plan so i could tether, and I need a coupe questions answered.

With this plan, do I have unlimited data transfer when I use the internet and such on my blackberry, and the 5gb only applies to tethering? OR

does the 5gb plan apply to the data I use on both my blackberry and when i tether?

Please, as simple as possible. For some reason, Im having a **** of a time grasping this concept this morning, Thanks for the help.
    12-13-09 04:22 AM
    US Cellular can tell weather your tethering or using the phones browser based on the data packet sizes. If you look at a webpage on your phone it gets rid of a lot of the junk, (ads, popups, animations) and uses less kb/mb to load faster and more efficient. When you hook it up to your computer your computer tries to download and show everything on the page regardless of speed.

Technically you only get 5GB either way, it's just with the phone it's a lot harder to get to that 5GB with just using the phone than it is tethering. hope this helps
    12-13-09 01:18 PM
    Yeah that helps, which leads me to my next question.
    My blackberry is my main form of internet.
    Most of the browsing I do from my phone. I'm on the net with it probably a good 8 hours a day. Ill tether to me laptop occasionally. Most of what I do is web browsing, email, forums, and social network. Ill occasionally watch a youtube video or download a song. Shoukd I be worried about going over my 5gb?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-09 02:15 PM
    I would say to start out slow with the tethering and work your way up to a normal months work. Basically that means to tether less now and watch your bill and see what your usage is. Most likely you shouldn't have a problem but it all depends on the person an what they consider to be moderate vs. the next person.
    12-13-09 02:20 PM
    12-14-09 12:39 AM
    US Cellular can tell weather your tethering or using the phones browser based on the data packet sizes. If you look at a webpage on your phone it gets rid of a lot of the junk, (ads, popups, animations) and uses less kb/mb to load faster and more efficient. When you hook it up to your computer your computer tries to download and show everything on the page regardless of speed.

Technically you only get 5GB either way, it's just with the phone it's a lot harder to get to that 5GB with just using the phone than it is tethering. hope this helps

very good point. but i called sprint about a month ago when they cut sprint smart view because i just needed to ask about something about my bill and after the question the rep added a comment about how much data usage i go through and asked if i had been a laptop been tethering and they recommend me get a plan that includes it to avoid extra costs.

i asked them how they think i am tethering and they said because of the amount data i used. i told them a little white lie and said i dont even have a laptop " tetherberry+MSIex625"

but anyways not to be rude but if you use a desktop like browser you can use just as much data as you would be tethering. i game through my phone and they have never caught me. just watch the usage.

thats my 2 cents
    12-14-09 12:49 AM
    Thanks for the input everyone. Think I got it worked out for myself.
    12-14-09 01:16 AM
    They can't tell by the type of data packets, that's FUD, they think they can tell by the *amount* of data you're using. In which case just tell them that you use a lotof data intensive apps like Pandora or Slacker. The BIS and BES plans are both marketed and billed as "unlimited". There is no documentation regarding 5GB caps *except* for the wireless modem plan.

Moral of the story, save your $15/month, tether using the regular BIS plan, just don't go overboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-09 08:32 AM
    If you or anyone reading this has questions, look @ the tethering with uscc thread on this page... it has multiple pages of stuff like this that you probably want to read.

CLICK ME!!!
    Last edited by ipodtouch1234; 12-14-09 at 05:25 PM.
    12-14-09 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD