I am currently en route to Canada and of course bringing my faithful BB. I was just curious if anyone could give me any idea of what the data rates are for outside of the US because it would be nice to still use bbm while I am away. Thanks to all who respond in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 09:05 AM
    Short answer: very expensive.

Since you are going to Canada, sign up for the Canadian Data Plan. It will at least put a dent in your bill. Scratch that. It doesn't look like they offer the Canadian data plan anymore. The international data plan is more expensive. You are pretty much looking at a little more than $1 per meg. There is a Candian calling plan that will reduce the roaming rate.
    11-25-09 09:18 AM
    any idea how many kilobytes a bbm message uses?

11-25-09 12:11 PM
    Are you going to use your phone differently up there? If not, log on to your ATT account and look at how much data you use in a month. Figure it out relative to how long you will be up there and add about 33%.
    11-25-09 01:32 PM
    at&t has a $65/mo unlimited int'l data plan. So you won't get billed for int'l data usage charges. This plan is instead of your $30 personal plan or $45 BES plan.

It will be prorated for the time you are up there as long as you call right before you leave to put it on your plan and once you get back to take it off.
    Last edited by climbguy; 11-28-09 at 09:45 AM. Reason: type, wrong price on domestic BES plan
    11-26-09 12:56 PM
    at&t has a $65/mo unlimited int'l data plan. So you won't get billed for int'l data usage charges. This plan is instead of your $30 personal plan or $65 BES plan.

It will be prorated for the time you are up there as long as you call right before you leave to put it on your plan and once you get back to take it off.
    Wrong, u can't add and remove the international data plan as u please. If u add it, u have to keep it on for a minimum of a year.

11-26-09 08:15 PM
    Wrong, u can't add and remove the international data plan as u please. If u add it, u have to keep it on for a minimum of a year.

maybe that's what is in the fine print, but I in practice this is never enforced. I have added it and taken it off 4 or 5 times this year with out a problem. The reps don't even tell me they are doing it as a one time thing, they take it off and replace it with my domestic plan with out objection.
    11-28-09 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD