Is there any way to just get data monthly? As in, just paying a monthly fee for web, email, sms.. and paying for minutes seperately, without a package, or maybe a smaller package? (Sprint has where you can call and they'll give you 100extra min for $10 if you're about to go over.. Obviously not anymore with their unlimited plans though) so is there anything similar with tmobile? Even paying 10c a min will be better than the required minimum of $40 voice plan I think it was, on top of the 35/mo blackberry data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 12:23 AM
    Is there any way to just get data monthly? As in, just paying a monthly fee for web, email, sms.. and paying for minutes seperately, without a package, or maybe a smaller package? (Sprint has where you can call and they'll give you 100extra min for $10 if you're about to go over.. Obviously not anymore with their unlimited plans though) so is there anything similar with tmobile? Even paying 10c a min will be better than the required minimum of $40 voice plan I think it was, on top of the 35/mo blackberry data plan

Verizon I know for a fact does it and I don't see why AT&T or T-Mobile wouldn't follow suit. Your best bet is to either go to the carrier specific websites, call customer care and/or physically go into a store and ask the reps there.
    12-03-09 12:43 AM
    Thanks, I asked a tmobile kiosk in the mall and the rep said a voice plan was required before adding any data... But idk how knowledgeable they were, just being a booth.

12-03-09 01:12 AM

T-Mobile offers a Blackberry data plan only... its $39.99 per month.

Blackberry Data Plan
    12-03-09 12:57 PM
    Thanks, tequilaAddict , that's exactly what I was looking for, except I couldn't find anything on how minutes are handled. I'm assuming they are billed by the minute, but are there any 'perks' such as free weekends and all that? I'm gona have another look around on the site, but I'm gonna wait til I can access the site from a computer, I have a hard time navigating the site from my blackberry browser

12-03-09 09:54 PM
    Thanks, tequilaAddict , that's exactly what I was looking for, except I couldn't find anything on how minutes are handled. I'm assuming they are billed by the minute, but are there any 'perks' such as free weekends and all that? I'm gona have another look around on the site, but I'm gonna wait til I can access the site from a computer, I have a hard time navigating the site from my blackberry browser

The site says that min are .20 each but that's wrong. The per-min charge went up and it's now .45/each.

I know for sure because a member here signed up with T-Mobile under this same plan, thinking that each min was .20. They got a nasty surprise. I'm not sure if the site has been updated to reflect the change but I wanted to let you know.

And no, no perks like free weekends or whatever.

Do you need text at all?
    You could get an EM+ plan with 500 min (free nights/weekends) and unlimited BB data for about 55/month.
    12-04-09 12:06 AM
    The site says that min are .20 each but that's wrong. The per-min charge went up and it's now .45/each.

I know for sure because a member here signed up with T-Mobile under this same plan, thinking that each min was .20. They got a nasty surprise. I'm not sure if the site has been updated to reflect the change but I wanted to let you know.

And no, no perks like free weekends or whatever.

Do you need text at all?
    You could get an EM+ plan with 500 min (free nights/weekends) and unlimited BB data for about 55/month.
    Once again Artemis, you are very well informed.

The EM+ combo mentioned above is probably the best bet for you. And if you need text, it's only $5 more. The old unlimited text/internet plan without minutes was $55 anyway, plus the EM+ has Mobile to Mobile as well.
    12-04-09 01:00 AM
    Thanks guys, very helpful, I've only ever had sprint, so I'm not sure what all tmobiles plans mean, where are these EM+ plans? I went to the site and found their cheapest plan was about $40, but then the blackberry data plan is another $35, where is this $55 coming from?
    And I thought texting was included in the $35 blackberry plan?
    Haha sorry for all the questions, but I'm still confused after reading the tmobile site, and the closest store front is 30min away so I wanna make sure I can get what I'm looking for before I drive all the way down there just for some questions

Edit: right now I have the sprint sep 69.99 + insurance at $7, -10 or 15% employee discount from mcdonalds.... (Does tmobile do this, anyone know?)
    And I heard tmobile has the cheapest, but I'm really not seeing a deal, is it just because the blackberry plans are still expensive?
    Last edited by rogo22; 12-04-09 at 11:32 AM.
    12-04-09 11:27 AM
    Thanks guys, very helpful, I've only ever had sprint, so I'm not sure what all tmobiles plans mean, where are these EM+ plans? I went to the site and found their cheapest plan was about $40, but then the blackberry data plan is another $35, where is this $55 coming from?
    And I thought texting was included in the $35 blackberry plan?
    Haha sorry for all the questions, but I'm still confused after reading the tmobile site, and the closest store front is 30min away so I wanna make sure I can get what I'm looking for before I drive all the way down there just for some questions

Edit: right now I have the sprint sep 69.99 + insurance at $7, -10 or 15% employee discount from mcdonalds.... (Does tmobile do this, anyone know?)
    And I heard tmobile has the cheapest, but I'm really not seeing a deal, is it just because the blackberry plans are still expensive?
    I think some of the info you ran across was for older plans. The breakdown of the new EM+ plan is as follows:

500 mins only - $30
    500 mins + Text - $40
    500 mins + text + internet/email - $60

If you don't need text, you can add just the internet/email to the 500 mins only for $25, for a total of $55. At this point, it would only be $5 more for unlimited text.

T-Mobile does offer a discount to McDonald's employees, but the EM+ plans are unable to have discounts applied due to their low cost.
    12-05-09 02:52 AM
    I think some of the info was from older plans, because it said that the 500min+txt+web wasn't compatible with a blackberry and still required a blackberry web plan that was an additional cost to the $60... But that's not the case anymore?

Even with my sprint discount, my bill is $73, so $60 a month with no discount is still saving money

And the EM+ requires purchase of a phone for full price, I read that much... But do I have to buy it from them? Or can I buy one off ebay/cl and take it in and have it activated on an EM+ plan?

12-05-09 08:14 AM
    The EM+ plans (talk/txt/web) ARE indeed compatible with all smartphones, like BB, Android, etc. I am on an EM+ plan atm and everything is working on my end.

I too am curious - Norris, do you have to buy a phone to use with EM+? Having these plans available to people who would rather BYOP would be good.

12-06-09 06:27 PM
    So this EM+ plan is billed monthly? or is it prepaid type? It says no contract, but having to buy a almost $500 phone, and a $60 mo plan seem pretty much for a prepaid?

And I just found out Tmobile has an online chat thing, so i used that and i found out that you can use any tmobile phone , you dont have to buy one when you sign up for an EM+ plan
    12-06-09 07:37 PM
    Yeah it's postpaid, not prepaid. It goes month to month. It's much like being on a postpaid account after the contract expires...goes month to month but you won't get dinged with an etf if you leave.

Thanks for confirmed that you can indeed BYOP.

12-06-09 08:05 PM
    Now that I've got pretty much all the info I need, I just need to decide if I wanna pay sprint the 200 etf and switch over to gsm and tmobile, or wait til the etf goes down lol

12-06-09 10:44 PM
    You could pay the ETF and sell your Tour to help offset some of the cost, if not all of it.

The Tour is still very new and I bet lots of people would be willing to pay good money for it if it's still in good condition.
    12-07-09 12:35 AM
    And I just found out Tmobile has an online chat thing, so i used that and i found out that you can use any tmobile phone , you dont have to buy one when you sign up for an EM+ plan
    Beat me to it. The EM+ works with any T-Mobile or unlocked phone, regardless of where it's bought. Lots of people choose to buy the phone elsewhere and come activate it with me. Makes no difference.
    12-07-09 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD