Most of us have unlimited data, so it won't affect us. Haven't searched to see if this is anywhere else, but can any reps attest to this Is this another nickle and dime move? I like Verizon, and haven't had a prob with them. I just don't like to see things like this.
    Verizon: Verizon Configures Phones So You Incur Erroenous Data Charges? (To The Tune Of $300 Million)
    11-15-09 09:51 PM
    This is absolutely true. My last phone was a G'zone and when my bill was ready for viewing I saw about 15.00 in data charges because I hit the mobile web button a few times. I think I actually meant to hit it twice to just explore the mobile web but I had no idea I was being charged by doing that. Verizon is notorious for informing you of what your going to be charged for after the fact that its too late. At least that's how I have been treated.
    11-15-09 10:12 PM
    That article is untrue. Loading the front page of mobile web does not incur data charges, its been that way for a while now. And you should have the sense to ask if web is covered in your plan before you start using it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 10:36 PM
    I solved this problem on several phones by changing the function of the key set for the mobile web to do something else. That way there is no longer any way to accidentaly open the mobile web.

I don't see VZW as being underhanded in charging for this. You use data and you pay for it. Now it would be nice to only have to pay for what you used and not a full mb though.

11-15-09 10:37 PM
    This is absolutely true. My last phone was a G'zone and when my bill was ready for viewing I saw about 15.00 in data charges because I hit the mobile web button a few times. I think I actually meant to hit it twice to just explore the mobile web but I had no idea I was being charged by doing that. Verizon is notorious for informing you of what your going to be charged for after the fact that its too late. At least that's how I have been treated.
    This is not true. Verizon has changed it to where you only get charged if you go PAST the landing page for Mobile Web. Not only that, but it's not Verizon designing the phones, it's LG/Motorola, whoever. Also, I had a Voyager for a long time before I had a blackberry, not on a premium plan, no data plan, and NEVER got charged the $1.99 for the megabyte because I avoided the Mobile Web/Get it now.

Consumerist is a good website, but he doesn't really correct himself when people correct him. I have wrote in before on previous Verizon slams when the information the reader provided was incorrect and he never updated his blog post. That's Sleazy, not Verizon doing this. You can also change the shortcut keys on your phone.

Yes, the $1.99 is annoying but it's completely avoidable and it's not Verizon's job to find out what was an accidental connection and what was a true connection. Also $15 in MB Charges (That means 7 mb at $1.99/mb) is not an accidental connection and its not a "just browsed once or twice" unless you were browsing image heavy webpages or browsing for a LONG time during that once or twice.
    11-15-09 10:49 PM
    Interesting, but I have a hard time buying it.
    11-15-09 11:50 PM
    It states that you can be charged for it in your service agreement, which I'm sure everyone READS.
    "Data services such as Mobile Web, Optimized View for Mobile Web and Dashboard permit access to the Internet and third-party information, content and services through your wireless device.....You may incur usage charges when using these services, unless you subscribe to a plan or feature that includes unlimited sending and receiving of data."
    11-16-09 12:00 AM
    But again - you are NOT charged for the portal site AND there is a warning before you proceed to the areas that incur charges.

Consumerist is an awful site - it is random BS with a slant so obvious, it makes the Leaning Tower look straight. They do not fact-check & they do not let truth stand in the way of a story that will interest or alarm the sheep.

I ran through several stories there & found serious lies in over half of the pieces I looked at, and less obvious lies in many of the others.

11-16-09 12:17 AM
    Thanks twins for clearing that up, and yes I agree with your phone asking if you want to go ahead and access the page and incur charges. I just forgot since I have unlimited. I only posted this because I wanted reps to say if it was true about Verizon promoting this through CS. Also, great sprint/verizon thread.
    11-16-09 12:47 AM
    I got my husband a phone and was showing him how to use it. I accidently clicked on mobile web instead of the back button and I immedately clicked cancel. I was charged the 1.99 on the bill. I called and the rep said it looked like someone just clicked in and out so they took the charge off. I had them block mobile web so he wouldn't accidently do the same thing. So even if they are doing something wrong if you've accidently clicked into mobile web they'll take the charge off. And if you don't want charged block it. Easily fixed.

11-16-09 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD