Hey guys,

I'm new to blackberry and I own a 9630 that I baught in march. Recently, my software has been going on and off performance wise like it keeps turning on and off and when i hit space it would close all my apps and go to the home screen so I couldnt type BBMs or texts. It has been like this since the day I purchased it but now it got bad. I called customer support from a VZW authorized retail store because one of my friends works there and he helped me out. I talked to a CSR and they told me that I was going to get a brand new tour since I was under warranty and I have the 8 dollar insurance which gives me another year of extended warranty. This was Sunday..

Today the FedEx guy shows up at my door with that stupid little brown package. I open it up and its a "FRUBB 9630".. I was pretty upset because I dont have good experiences with refurbished phones and I heard BB refurbs suck. My Verizon Voyager was refurbished and ran like crap. Also, my BB is in pristine condition and doesnt have any scratches or anything. I take this crap outta the box and i see a scratch right above the lock button like the chrome was chipped off and more on the bottom.

So my questions for you guys is:
    1. Should I call CS back and explain my situation to receive a new tour?
    2. I heard rumors of them swapping out BB 9650 or the Bold to customers. Whats the deal with that?

All help is appriciated. thanks!
    07-14-10 11:14 AM
    This sounds more like a Verizon question, I'm moving this thread to the Verizon Forum.

I say if you are not happy, yes call them back.

EDIT: Most people who got Bold had trackball problems. NOT that I'll telling you what to say.
    07-14-10 11:20 AM
    You can only receive a new phone when you are within your first 30 days. Since you bought the phone in March, you are not within that time frame. Since you haven't even tried to use it, you can not be sure if the phone will give you problems or not. However, call them and let them know about the scratch.
    07-14-10 11:47 AM
    EDIT: Most people who got Bold had trackball problems. NOT that I'll telling you what to say.
    No, most people lied about trackball problems for a warranty replacement. People received Bolds because there was no warranty replacement Tours in stock. There is now.
    07-14-10 11:49 AM
    Hey guys,

Today the FedEx guy shows up at my door with that stupid little brown package. I open it up and its a "FRUBB 9630".. I was pretty upset because I dont have good experiences with refurbished phones and I heard BB refurbs suck. My Verizon Voyager was refurbished and ran like crap. Also, my BB is in pristine condition and doesnt have any scratches or anything. I take this crap outta the box and i see a scratch right above the lock button like the chrome was chipped off and more on the bottom.

So my questions for you guys is:
    1. Should I call CS back and explain my situation to receive a new tour?
    2. I heard rumors of them swapping out BB 9650 or the Bold to customers. Whats the deal with that?

All help is appriciated. thanks!
    I haven not read great things about the Tour FRU devices. However, the FRU Bold that replaced my Tour is awesome. Seems the solution to Tour trackball issue is the Bold.
    07-14-10 11:52 AM
    When you get your phone replaced, because of a warranty issue it is almost always if not always going to be a fru. I really don't think there is anyway around it. Now if the phone has defects on it like you said yours does, you should c/b, and ask them NICELY if you can get another one, but most likely if they send you another phone it will be a fru, not a new one.
    07-14-10 12:32 PM
    The FRU Tour I am on is pristine but I had to get a second one after the first one had a crappy trackball.
    07-14-10 12:46 PM
    I would activate the FRU. Mine worked great until the modem had issues but many FRU's are fine. If it doesn't work well then call again. If you are looking for permission to ask for the Bold, knock yourself out but they have their own problems too. No phone is perfect. I loved my Tour, trackball and all. The Bold is fine but at the end of the day I needed a phone that worked so it didn't matter if I got another Tour or Bold.
    07-14-10 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD