Hi - this has probably been talked about before but "3G" doesn't come up in a search. Is the curve with verizon 3G now? I know AT&T has to wait for the bold to be 3G, right?
    Thanks!
    05-26-08 07:46 AM
    Yes they call it CDMA but it is Verizons version of 3G.
    05-26-08 07:58 AM
    well the answer is still yes... but technically, EV-DO is the standard that verizon and sprint use which is still 3G. CDMA is the technology used by those two companies (CDMA2000 maybe?) as opposed to GSM by ATT and T-Mob among others. For GSM carriers, some form of HSPA would be their 3G.

Don't know if anyone cares about the tech details, but thought it wouldn't hurt. Anyway.. I'm pretty sure that is accurate....
    05-26-08 12:16 PM
    So is EDGE on T-Mo 3G?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 12:13 AM
    So is EDGE on T-Mo 3G?

05-27-08 12:15 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, "3G" is a performance index, not a technical protocol per se.

And if I remember correctly, EV-DO was only "2.5G" until Rev A, which is well into full 3G bandwidth. Unfortunately, the Curve doesn't support it. Also, compared to my friend's ATT Curve when it gets an EDGE (3G) signal, it downloads noticeably faster.
    05-27-08 12:36 AM
    So is EDGE on T-Mo 3G?

No.

Also, compared to my friend's ATT Curve when it gets an EDGE (3G) signal, it downloads noticeably faster.
    EDGE is not 3G. It's 2G. That is why everyone on AT&T is scrambling to get the Bold.
    05-27-08 09:43 AM
    No.

EDGE is not 3G. It's 2G. That is why everyone on AT&T is scrambling to get the Bold.
    Correct, my bad, up too late!

What I meant was when my friend's fancy unlocked Nokia gets a 3G signal, it's faster. I think it's an N95, he bought it overseas (and paid a fortune for it). The ATT Curves can't get 3G, can they.
    05-27-08 12:59 PM
    BTW, will the Verizon Curve be able to work at EV-DO Rev A or Rev B with a firmware update, or is Rev 0 built into chipset and can't be changed?
    05-27-08 01:25 PM
    AT&T/T-Mobile Curves cannot get 3G data speeds.

I am pretty sure it is not upgradeable to A or B; I believe I read that before its release. I love my Curve, but in about a year or so when I'm eligible for an annual upgrade I'll probably get a Bold or a Thunder.
    05-27-08 06:00 PM
    BTW, will the Verizon Curve be able to work at EV-DO Rev A or Rev B with a firmware update, or is Rev 0 built into chipset and can't be changed?
    Verizon says specifically on its sight that it is NOT upgradeable to Rev A. I guess they knew people would ask.
    05-27-08 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD