ok so heres the situation.. get ready.. this might take a minute to read..

Thursday July 16th, I called verizon and told them about my problems with my storm.. they offered to send me my 4th replacement. I accepted and was waiting for the phone to come in. They said it should be in by Tuesday the 14th..

Sunday July 19th I dropped my phone into the sewer.. it bounced off my foot and slide into the sewer. Luckily, there was no water and it landed on a bunch of sticks and leaves and trash of course.
    - I called phone claims immediately, and claimed insurance for my phone since it thought it was completely lost. They said that they'll next-day-airmail it to me so it should be in my Monday the 13th.

Monday comes around and no show for the insurance claimed phone.
    I asked my apartment maintenance guy and asked if he can lift the sewer cover thing so I can grab my phone. Instead he comes over with those claws that pick up trash kind of thingy, but this one can extend .. pretty neat!
    He's able to grab my phone and the first thing I do is to check if it has any water damage. Took out the battery cover, and the white square was still white. *whew thank god..

Tuesday I come home and theres a insurance phone claim (UPS box) and my warranty exchange phone (FedEx box). Of course I use the warranty phone, and activated it and transferred all my information. Then, the warranty phone has problems RIGHT OFF THE BAT. I turn it on after programming, and the screen freezes and goes blue/red for a bit. Internet has a problem and wont click/highlight much. I have to keep trying to click a link.
    I call verizon back and tell them that I dont want to deal with storm's anymore and they offered to send me a BB tour.
    I accepted the BB TOUR (VERY NICE!) and they next day airmailed it to me. I got the phone and transferred all of the information. No problems till this day..

I have to return my warranty exchanged phone of course. BUT!

THE QUESTION IS!... can I sell my insurance claimed phone? or do I have to return it and get my $50 back?
    Last edited by dhong87; 07-27-09 at 11:40 AM.
    07-27-09 11:29 AM
    I don't know how you called on Thursday the 16th and reverted back to dates
    before it, but in the end, you have to pay the deductible for the insurance
    phone.

Now the thing is that you told them that the phone was lost. Well the ESN is
    probably in their system as lost. They're going to get that phone back
    (the warranty exchange one) and see that it's not lost. I don't know if they'll
    tell you anything about that, but I think as long as you pay them their
    deductible the phone is yours.
    07-27-09 11:36 AM
    I don't know how you called on Thursday the 16th and reverted back to dates
    before it, but in the end, you have to pay the deductible for the insurance
    phone.

Now the thing is that you told them that the phone was lost. Well the ESN is
    probably in their system as lost. They're going to get that phone back
    (the warranty exchange one) and see that it's not lost. I don't know if they'll
    tell you anything about that, but I think as long as you pay them their
    deductible the phone is yours.
    lol thanks.. didnt notice that.. :FIXED:
    07-27-09 11:40 AM
    So in the end whats your plan? To keep the insurance-claim phone?
    07-27-09 11:49 AM
    If you claim a phone as lost, the insurance company own your "lost" phone now.

Anything other than destroying it or sending it to them is insurance fraud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 11:50 AM
    So in the end whats your plan? To keep the insurance-claim phone?
    well i thought about giving it to my gf's dad cause he's got a POS phone and he's been wanting a new one but his contract ends in Feb..

If you claim a phone as lost, the insurance company own your "lost" phone now.

Anything other than destroying it or sending it to them is insurance fraud.

true.. but to what extent though.. like if I activate it for my gf's dads account, will they really go through all that hassle to find out what happened to the 1 insurance claimed phone?
    07-27-09 11:59 AM
    The problem is they may think you are pulling insurance fraud in sayin "I lost my phone I need a new one" then pulling the phone out of the gutter and trying to activate that esn on any account.
    07-27-09 12:01 PM
    Let me see if I can get your story straight.

1. VZW agreed to send you a replacement Storm (4th time)
    2. About a week later, prior to the replacement arriving, you dropped your Storm (the one being replaced) in a sewer.
    3. You submitted an insurance claim for the lost phone.
    4. Sewer Storm is retrieved. No new damage.
    5. The warranty replacement (see #1 above) and the insurance replacement arrived on the same day. You opted to open and activate the warranty phone. You did not open or use the insurance replacement.
    6. Warranty phone is a dud. All kinds of problems.
    7. VZW agrees to send you a Tour to replace your Storm. You're sending back to them the dud warranty phone.
    8. You are left with 2 phones on your hands: the insurance replacement and "lost" phone that's been found.

Correct?

You started this process with 1 phone: a Storm. You've ended this process with 2: the "lost" Storm and a Tour. The right thing to do is to get back to 1 phone.

Technically, Asurion owns the lost/sewer phone. Now that you've recovered the lost phone, you owe Asurion something. Send back the insurance phone and get your $50 back. Then, send VZW the "lost" phone in exchange for the warranty phone they sent to you. Then, send the warranty replacement to VZW in exchange for the Tour. Your now left with one phone: the Tour.

Look at it this way. You get your $50 back from Asurion....money in your pocket. You get a "free" Tour....again, money in your pocket. You end up with 1 phone, just like you started.
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 07-27-09 at 01:14 PM.
    07-27-09 12:08 PM
    The problem is they may think you are pulling insurance fraud in sayin "I lost my phone I need a new one" then pulling the phone out of the gutter and trying to activate that esn on any account.
    yeah but the phone that I get out of the gutter is going to go to VZW for warranty replacement.
    the insurance claimed phone (brand new) is the one that Im trying to give to my gf's dad..
    07-27-09 12:11 PM
    Return the lost Storm to VZW in exchange for the Tour.

Look at it this way. You get your $50 back....money in your pocket. You get a "free" Storm....again, money in your pocket.
    lol what do you mean by returning the lost storm to VZW for a tour?
    07-27-09 12:17 PM
    multi fru - after 3 replacements within 90 days... you qualify for a brand new phone. get the tour
    07-27-09 12:33 PM
    The more I read on this thread the more confused I get , LOL , ., but ya I'd keep the tour over the "other storm".But I would think you would have to send the "other storm" back to or maybe get billed for it , but ...thats my thoughts on from what I read , ha
    07-27-09 12:42 PM
    lol i think this is getting complicated..
    I already HAVE the tour as of now. (activated) and esn changed and all the doo-wops..

the main question is..
    can i give my gf's dad the insurance claimed phone since i dont need the storms anymore?..

lol
    07-27-09 12:48 PM
    lol i think this is getting complicated..
    I already HAVE the tour as of now. (activated) and esn changed and all the doo-wops..

the main question is..
    can i give my gf's dad the insurance claimed phone since i dont need the storms anymore?..

lol
    No, you started with 1 phone, you should end with 1 phone. Like I said above, technically, Asurion owns the lost/sewer phone. Now that you've recovered the lost phone, you owe Asurion something. Send back the insurance phone and get your $50 back. Then, send VZW the "lost" phone in exchange for the warranty phone they sent to you. Then, send the warranty replacement to VZW in exchange for the Tour. Your now left with one phone: the Tour.
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 07-27-09 at 01:13 PM.
    07-27-09 12:53 PM
    No, you started with 1 phone, you should end with 1 phone. Like I said above, technically, Asurion owns the lost/sewer phone. Now that you've recovered the lost phone, you owe Asurion something. Send back the insurance phone and get your $50 back. Then, send VZW the "lost" phone in exchange for the warranty phone they sent to you. Then, send the warranty replacement to VZW in exchange for the Tour. Your now left with one phone: the Tour.
    And on top of that, would you really do that to you gr's dad lol He deserves better just send the storm back.
    07-27-09 01:16 PM
    Do you really want your gf's dad to find out you are guilty of insurance fraud and theft by deception?

07-27-09 03:28 PM
    yeah thats true i guess.. i just thought that they didnt care as long as i paid the $50.. will call asurion and return the phone.

thanks everyone
    07-27-09 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD