While taking care of my SMS issue, I decided to ask to have my phone unlocked. The representative looks up my account and says my phone is paid so no provlem. Now not to trick Tmob, I tell the guy it is under the usual two year contract. The only difference is I got it through Costco wireless so I could keep my grandfathered plan. My guess is the new accounting system doesn't know how to handle the few people that kept contract plans. My understanding is they are really going to kill contracts eventually, but give the old timers a better rate than the published no-contract prices.

Historically, Tmob never cared if you were under contract or not regarding unlocking the phone. I've had Tmob unlock every phone I ever bought from them while under contract.

Also new to me, but Tmob has simplified the annoying automated answering system. You can now say "representative" and you get in the queue for a live person.

I'm starting to like the CEO in the magenta t-shirt. Just do a bit more AT&T roaming please.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 06:18 PM
    I really like the speed and $30 plan I get with tmobile but coverage is so damn spotty that i cant use it.
    ReneV likes this.
    01-16-14 08:42 PM
    Well the first unlock code had the wrong IMEI. Put it in twice before catching the mistake. Two out of ten lives down.

Called tmob, sent the correct IMEI. Got a new unlock code. Tried it twice. No dice. Down to six out of ten lives.

Called tmob again. Triple checked the IMEI. I found out two things. There is a time limit to the code. You get 48 hours. No problem there. The wifi had to be off. Ah, nobody told me that. I gave the code one try with the wifi off. This time I only tried it once since I know damn well I am entering the code correctly. No luck. Down to five lives.

Called tmob again. They are going to deal with BlackBerry to see what the problem is.

Just to double check that the phone is locked, I went to an AT&T store and used on of their simcards. It is locked.

To be continued.....

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 06:13 PM
    I unlocked mine with the wifi on..? Is this a T-Mo branded phone? How many digits in the code? Should be 16 digits. (Course, they could be the wrong digits..)
    01-19-14 09:11 PM
    The IMEI is 15 digits. The unclock code is 16 digits.

Funny thing is the escreen only shows 14 digits of the IMEI. It drops the last digit.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 10:24 PM
    The IMEI is 15 digits. The unclock code is 16 digits.

Funny thing is the escreen only shows 14 digits of the IMEI. It drops the last digit.

Posted via CB10
    Go to the phone function and dial*#06# that will give you the correct imei, if you haven't already..you can go right through TMobile chat, as long as your account is in good standing, you will have the code in a day

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-20-14 09:16 PM
    Go to the phone function and dial*#06# that will give you the correct imei, if you haven't already..you can go right through TMobile chat, as long as your account is in good standing, you will have the code in a day

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using CB Forums mobile app
    The code from *#06# matches the one you get from the settings -> about -> hardware. It is only the engineering screen that is dropping the last digit. If you are on the BlackBerry making a call, you can add another call to make the *#06# work.

To make this clear, I have been dealing with TMobile all along, even though I got the phone from Costco Wireless. Costco wireless was the only way to keep my grandfathered TMobile plan. But I have been getting the unlock codes from TMobile, which gets them (they say) from BlackBerry.

This is to say I have never left TMobile. I really don't get how they work Costco into the deal, but Tmob considers me as a customer with uninterrupted service for 8 years.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 04:24 AM
    Uh, the wifi can be on, but I'm pretty sure that the antenna needs to be off when entering the unlock code, that's how I unlocked my Z10 back in 2013

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 07:34 PM
    Uh, the wifi can be on, but I'm pretty sure that the antenna needs to be off when entering the unlock code, that's how I unlocked my Z10 back in 2013

Posted via CB10
    Well the antenna is internal. ;-)

TMobile had me try the same code again that didn't work because they wanted the exact wording of the error message. Insane, but I did it and no dice regarding the unlocking. Down to four lives. I got a screen shot this time of the error message.

They say they will replace the phone if they totally screw the pooch. I need that in writing. Last time they tried to charge me $20 for the replacement phone, which is a refurb. Ad it stands, this phone works well and I don't want to replace it, just unlock it.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 01:10 AM
    Well this time they emailed the correct unlock code. Now to find a AT&T MVNO that nobody complains about.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:33 AM