Hello folks. I joined Verizon last year about two weeks after the Storm2 was released, when I payed $180 for it after rebate. I am about to swap out to my fourth 9550 due to a series of problems. I'm a bit sick of it.

My question is this: I am scheduled to talk with VZW tonight about what to do next with my malfunctioning Storm2 (had to cut them off early last night), and I was wondering if I could just ask for them to swap it for an 8530? It's a cheaper model, and I can't imagine it has half the problems.

It's a shame, as I like the concept of the Storm2. But I need a phone that works.

Thanks for any responses.
    02-03-10 07:00 AM
    They probably would. They may let you use an early upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-10 07:06 AM
    After three exchanges they should recommend you to switch to a equal or similar model type.

I love my 8530
    02-03-10 07:08 AM
    That program is gone due to abuse. You can get as many replacements of the model you bout as it takes to get one that works.

02-03-10 08:52 AM
    That program is gone due to abuse. You can get as many replacements of the model you bout as it takes to get one that works.

Yep...the "multi-fru" policy is now gone thanks to people abusing the policy so they could change up phones.
    Last edited by markhunsaker; 02-03-10 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Correcting my horrible spelling...give me a break it's early.
    02-03-10 09:12 AM
    But depending on how long you've had the phone at some point u can do an early upgrade. Talk to tech and then to care. You would have to renew your contract and the EU is descressionary.

02-03-10 09:21 AM
    Hello folks. I joined Verizon last year about two weeks after the Storm2 was released, when I payed $180 for it after rebate. I am about to swap out to my fourth 9550 due to a series of problems. I'm a bit sick of it.

My question is this: I am scheduled to talk with VZW tonight about what to do next with my malfunctioning Storm2 (had to cut them off early last night), and I was wondering if I could just ask for them to swap it for an 8530? It's a cheaper model, and I can't imagine it has half the problems.

It's a shame, as I like the concept of the Storm2. But I need a phone that works.

Thanks for any responses.
    What issues are you having?
    02-03-10 10:28 AM
    I'm on a family plan, so I don't want to waste my wife's upgrade. I just want a handset that bloomin' works.

My problems are varied:

Returned the first one because the bodywork was falling off (poorly assembled).

Returned the second one because the screen grew increasingly depressed on the left side over time, causing the 'click' to become very very resistant. Not pleasant. Also, I couldn't use the send/BlackBerry/return/end buttons when it was flat on a surface.

My current one was great, then lost all ability to utilise the data network. Wifi worked fine, but mobile internet did not. After being directed to perform numerous checks, fixes and wipes, it now doesn't have an internet browser (only hotspot), and the clicking problem with my second handset is showing up.

I think I would prefer a Curve to a Tour, but reading here it sounds like they won't let me...
    02-03-10 05:28 PM
    Internet browser can *usually* be fixed by resending service books.
    That's normally a simple issue.

Don't have the clicking issue on mine.
    02-03-10 05:51 PM
    If you've lost the ability to connect to the data network, then there's probably something we need to troubleshoot. There may very well be something that needs to be poked in the switch or the like.

Call in, ask for tech, and when you get one, make sure to give detailed info on everything you've tried so far.
    02-03-10 06:30 PM
    No. The system is still there just in a different form. U can get a like bb BUT its a CLNR not a brand new one in box. We discount a battery, charger, memory card, and back cover. Quite a hassle.

02-03-10 06:31 PM
    Okay, @tech_head and @Polychrome: They have tried sending services three times over (three different people). It's a deeper problem than VZW can solve. The last time I spoke with someone, it was VZW tech, and I provided very thorough details. However, I'm more irritated by the return of the button issue.

@xpressingit: Interesting... I don't really want a Tour though, and that's the equivalent price. Would I be able to use CLNR to get a Droid?
    02-03-10 06:41 PM
    Really it depends...in theory no...but in my store I've seen it done...since its a CLNR. If u wanted a Curve2 itd b easier to put thru management. Just remember ur upgrade is still pushed back even if its a CLNR

02-03-10 06:43 PM
    Well, my most recent VZW conversation displayed less care than I've ever experienced. She wasn't very interested in discussing exchange options.

I'm tempted to sell my Storm2 on eBay for $300 and purchase a Curve 8530 for $250.
    02-03-10 08:11 PM
    usually it takes 3 problems in 90 days to be issued a refurbished phone of a different model.
    for example, i had a lot of trouble with my voyager last summer. when i called in august, they said that was my 3rd call in like 78 days or something, and i got a refurbished enV touch.
    02-03-10 08:38 PM
    usually it takes 3 problems in 90 days to be issued a refurbished phone of a different model.
    for example, i had a lot of trouble with my voyager last summer. when i called in august, they said that was my 3rd call in like 78 days or something, and i got a refurbished enV touch.
    That was back in august. this will not happen anymore, unless the device you have is out of stock. Out of stock means three days, or is no longer available.
    02-03-10 08:43 PM
    Okay, @tech_head and @Polychrome: They have tried sending services three times over (three different people). It's a deeper problem than VZW can solve. The last time I spoke with someone, it was VZW tech, and I provided very thorough details. However, I'm more irritated by the return of the button issue.

@xpressingit: Interesting... I don't really want a Tour though, and that's the equivalent price. Would I be able to use CLNR to get a Droid?
    You will not get a Droid.
    02-03-10 08:44 PM
    It doesn't appear I will get anything. I'll go to the store on Saturday and see what I can do.

Replacing a poorly designed/constructed with like, again and again, seems fundamentally pointless to me.
    02-03-10 09:10 PM
    It really is up to management or customer service. Since November I've seen a total 3 times where a droid was approved

02-03-10 09:13 PM
    It doesn't appear I will get anything. I'll go to the store on Saturday and see what I can do.

Replacing a poorly designed/constructed with like, again and again, seems fundamentally pointless to me.
    If it was a poor device, EVERYONE woiuld have an issue. It sounds to me like you just want a free phone.

I don't really want a Tour though, and that's the equivalent price. Would I be able to use CLNR to get a Droid?
    I think I would prefer a Curve to a Tour, but reading here it sounds like they won't let me
    It's people like you is why the multi fru is no longer offered.
    02-03-10 09:32 PM
    They rarely approve a switch to a different device...especially a flagship Android. A Curve or Tour would me more sense. If you go asking for the Droid, it won't happen easily.

02-03-10 10:07 PM
    They rarely approve a switch to a different device...especially a flagship Android. A Curve or Tour would me more sense. If you go asking for the Droid, it won't happen easily.

It won't happen at all.
    02-03-10 10:18 PM
    If it was a poor device, EVERYONE woiuld have an issue. It sounds to me like you just want a free phone.

It's people like you is why the multi fru is no longer offered.

Be nice Mario... I don't think the OP is just after a free device.

02-04-10 02:34 PM
    Service books aren't your internet connection. They depend on it, but they aren't it.

Here's a quick test: Try to send a picture message. If you can't, there's other things that need troubleshooting.

You can try to fix it yourself by changing esns back and forth between the blackberry and another device. Make sure both devices are off. That's a home solution that will usually give it the required kick in the shins to get it running again.
    02-04-10 02:40 PM
    @supermario28 - I make a point of not getting riled at forum comments. If you'd rather make fun of me/point fingers, that's your perogative. (BTW, thanks OldChristine. You are of course right. I'm just frustrated at the prospect of having to get another replacement for a device that cost me $180.)

@Polychrome - Thanks for the tip. I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by changing ESNs though. Could you explain further?

I will take my Storm2 to Verizon to swap for another one on Saturday if I can't get it working properly (including the click issue).

Thanks to everyone for commenting.

Addendum: The only reason I asked about the Droid (specifically over the option of a Tour - I've said I'd be good with a Curve), is that I really need a wifi device.
    02-04-10 04:38 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD