hello - ive been considering a move from verizon to att for a little while, and would like some advice. i will give them this - verizon does have excellent coverage and in my experiences good customer support. i just cant handle the lack of phone selection and lack of options they provide. it's annoying! they are always behind on everything.

i did use tmobile for awhile a few years ago and was pleased with them, but their service was more limited than i had originally expected. hence, im now considering ATT.

ive never used them before, but they have an awesome BB selection and my wife wants an iphone (why i don't know!) so it could work for us. i have just heard that ATT's service was spotty/hit and miss, and that their CS reps arent that helpful or good. they also came in low in the most recent jdpower report and dont have the best ratings on consumer reports.

i know that you could find negatives/positives for each of the major carriers, so i'm just wondering if anyone could offer insight, honest knowledge, etc. on ATT and whether it would be worth it to switch or not. we do travel a lot, but most of the times to large areas where service isnt an issue.

please advise - thanks in advance for the help!
    03-17-08 02:24 PM
    I just switched from Verizon to AT&T a little over a week ago and so far so good. There are a few places I got reception with Verizon that I can't with AT&T, but there are also a few places I couldn't get reception with Verizon and I can with AT&T. I know some people have complained about customer service with AT&T but so far they have been better to me than Verizon ever was.
    03-17-08 02:30 PM
    As far as service, PX is a nice sized city so I don't think you'd have too many issues with coverage. AT&T customers complain the least about coverage and dropped calls.

You will be switching over to the largest carrier and its GSM so the phone selection is always a bit fresher.

In my experience, its only been the CS thats been hit and miss. You just gotta get lucky and find a smart one, LOL.
    03-17-08 02:32 PM
    hello - ive been considering a move from verizon to att for a little while, and would like some advice. i will give them this - verizon does have excellent coverage and in my experiences good customer support. i just cant handle the lack of phone selection and lack of options they provide. it's annoying! they are always behind on everything.

i did use tmobile for awhile a few years ago and was pleased with them, but their service was more limited than i had originally expected. hence, im now considering ATT.

ive never used them before, but they have an awesome BB selection and my wife wants an iphone (why i don't know!) so it could work for us. i have just heard that ATT's service was spotty/hit and miss, and that their CS reps arent that helpful or good. they also came in low in the most recent jdpower report and dont have the best ratings on consumer reports.

i know that you could find negatives/positives for each of the major carriers, so i'm just wondering if anyone could offer insight, honest knowledge, etc. on ATT and whether it would be worth it to switch or not. we do travel a lot, but most of the times to large areas where service isnt an issue.

in my experience, at&T was good, their CS was good enough, and if you have any technical problem, go to CB forum first since you can't really depend on the CS to solve your issues.

just make sure that you get good coverage for your "areas" before anything else. Ask around anyone that you know that has AT&T, how good is the coverage.
    03-17-08 02:36 PM
    If your at the end of your vzw contract, port and do a test drive, phoenix proper has good coverage, but the east valley has a lot of dead spots. If your gonna etf I would try a new line on AT&T and check the coverage before you shell the fee and regret it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-08 02:50 PM
    Consider T-mobile again as they have hotspot@home now and have increased coverage over last few years.
    03-17-08 03:08 PM
    If your at the end of your vzw contract, port and do a test drive, phoenix proper has good coverage, but the east valley has a lot of dead spots. If your gonna etf I would try a new line on AT&T and check the coverage before you shell the fee and regret it.

Exactly. Get a new plan and blackberry... try the service, if you dont like it you have 30 days to dump them. If you do like it, return the device, cancel the acct. and then port your number to anouther new acct. Abuse the system baby!
    03-17-08 06:55 PM
    I have AT&T and Verizon in the Philly area....CS is 100% better with AT&T than Verizon, it's stiff and empty.

Marc
    03-17-08 07:24 PM
    VZW 8830 has evdo and the best you can get right now with AT&T is EDGE until they come out with a 3G model....
    03-17-08 08:39 PM
    I had Verizon previously, and I like AT&T much better.
    03-17-08 08:53 PM
    I switched from Verizon (after 7 years of service) to AT&T in late January specifially for the reasons you mentioned: lousy selection of hardware and Verizon's policy of always being the last carrier to adopt new hardware.

So far I am absolutely thrilled with my curve, it's a FAR superior device to my old 8703 from Verizon.
    That being said, there is ONE fly in the ointment, actually 2 flies

first is the data speed mentioned above. Verizon clearly has a faster network.
    second is the fact that there are a few simple access issues that were IMHO easier and more intuitive with Verizon.

All in all I'm happy that I switched! I paid an early termination fee and don't regret it a bit. AT&T did all of the work and it was really quite painless. turn one device off and the other on, go thru the programming sequence, and voila.
    03-19-08 09:05 AM
    I get more customers that switch from AT&T than any other carrier, mostly because of their poor coverage in the east valley. I've heard that their service is okay in the Glendale, and Scottsdale area but in Phoenix, Chandler, Mesa, and further East no bueno! I'd do exactly what everyone else says, in trying out their coverage for yourself for their trial period. Only you can make the final decision because only you know where you travel on a daily basis.
    03-19-08 09:17 AM
    I really like ATT....... Go get att then get ATT DSL and you get all the free ATT WiFi hot spots.

03-30-08 03:18 PM
    Same here man I am a verizon customer and I am switching. I use to work for cingular before it became att and not had a real prob with service. To me honestly att gets newer devices and better devices. Everyone else is a bit slower. But their phones come with a lot of options. I will bw switching tomorrow and moving to a better provider. Also keep in mind as far as technology is concern gsm out goes cdma 10 times over with instant data and voice service. Gsm is the way to go so I am down

03-30-08 06:11 PM

My .02, I've been with AT&T since '96 (I still remember my two bag phones and my small Star-tec phone), I've never really had any problems with the service. A few dropped calls here and there and I had an issue about my bill over 10 years ago. Since that time, I deal directly with service providers via phone and get excellent service.
    03-30-08 06:24 PM
    I just switched from Verizon to AT&T (again) and while I absolutely am smitten with the Curve, I'm not so sure I like it enough to keep it.

As Marquezdl said above, Verizon most definetly has the faster network, and to me AT&T seems to be dragging a**, but call quality has always been good (I was on it before) and CS has always been wonderful.

I have a full 30 days, and if your considering switching I'd say def. give it a try first, so I plan on evaluating the heck out of my Curve.

And as far as pricing....they differ by $5....
    04-01-08 10:09 AM
    Well ituleb i concur with you about every major provider has there positives and negatives. Att is the only major carrier that offers free BB messenger w/o it apply towards your text messenges, also Att is still the only carrier that providers free wi-fi service with its wi-fi devices. Far as reps being helpful. You really have to find a rep who is knowledgeable. We all have to remember the reps are sales consultants. They are no different than and commission sales rep. What seperates a sales rep and a sales consltant is a sales consultant will put you in a phone that you will need and not what they can make offer you. Plus a sales consultant will educate you on any and everything you need to know and if they didn't they will provide you with their point of contact (mobile number) not the store number. Verizon will be switch their service over in the future to GSM and that would leave Sprint (The Titantic) the only major carrier w/cdma. For a family that travels alot, Att should work out fine for you and your wife. I suggest doing a little research to see what would meet the family needs and go from there. Besides if you become an BB addict, noone gets the newest BB's before Att! :-)
    04-01-08 12:48 PM
    I think the best advice has already been offered. Try ATT for yourself and see how you like it for 30 days. Although ATT gets all the new BB's first, it won't mean a thing unless the coverage is there.

ATT like all carriers has benefits to offer. For me it was the fact that they are the premier BB carrier. I like the fact that they get all the new devices first. More importantly, they have the best coverage where I live.

I have received everything I have asked for from customer service. That being said, just about every time it has been a painfull process. They are always nice but not very knowledgeable. My experience has been if you are polite on the phone and patient you will eventually get what you need.
    04-01-08 01:18 PM
    i pretty much agree with just about everything everyone has said. i have been with att for the past two switches(from att to cingular then from cingular back to att) and i cant once remember when i had a serious problem with cs. they have always worked with me to fix my problems when i had them, which have been few and far between. yes every now and then you can get a moron but be patient you'll get someone. as far as coverage i have never had a problem with it. it may sound dorky but i actually tallyed the number of dropped calls in the last three months and i had just one and that was because i went in a basement of a big building
    04-01-08 01:35 PM
    I just switched a few weeks ago from Verizon to ATT, I live in the nj/nyc area and verizon defiinatly has the best service. i switched to get an iphone and the iphone sucked as a phone. it was only good for internet and the fun stuff - but i had 4 dropped calls driving in one 20 min stretch of highway where it should be full strength, and i have had tons of problems with my curve. cs at the retail stores have always been complete a**holes and made the problems worse.... Im really regretting having paid to leave verizon and im thinking of switching back for the new vz curve.

the only thing i will say is that i also recently traveled out of state to a remote part of south carolina, and my att phone had full signal, and my bf's verizon bb had barely any strength....
    04-01-08 07:19 PM
    I still use ATT now. And I wanted to switch to Blackberry and I still don't know what model I will get. What model that has a good features? Please somebody help me...

cutie_tech123
    Minutetraders is an online marketplace for buying & selling telecommunication routes. Any small, medium, large telecom operator, VoIP service provider or business looking at reducing their phone bill can join in !
    minutetraders.com
    05-05-08 02:55 AM
    Bigmarv,

Verizon does NOT charge BBM messages as text messages!! Please make sure you're correct before you share information as factual!

05-05-08 03:57 AM
    ATT Business has been the best carrier I've had. I get signal *everywhere* I go here in Texas, and CS treats me like a king.
    05-05-08 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD