Looking back, I really should have seen this coming.
    I'm not complaining, just want to make sure people are informed.

When I first considered getting this device, I called up Telus to discuss the offer I had on my account for it.
    I was wondering which clear choice plan would meet my data needs. Going over my history, csr Darren said "Youve never gone over 300 Mb in a month, so the 500Mb ($50) plan should be more than enough for you."
    I hit 500Mb after 2 weeks.

I do a lot of web browsing, and with my curve, that was mostly wap (stripped down, low data version of web page) for CB forums and Opera Mini for other sites. (OM servers do most of the work and send you a page that is already formatted. Again, not as much data per page compared to full HTML using the bb native browser).

So now I have a much larger screen and a browser that renders just like a pc. Do I want to use mobile versions of web pages? Heck no!
    Do I go to YouTube more now that the image is larger than my thumb? You bet I do.
    This means I started using 3-4 times as much data per day.
    Fortunately, most of my browsing is done at home, so I installed wifi and no more worries.

Bottom line: If you get an iPhone, your data consumption may increase significantly. Take that into consideration when choosing a data plan.

For those who don't know, you can view your data usage history by logging into Telusmobility.com,
    https://www.telusmobility.com/accoun...Account.portal
    under 'Plans And Services' click on 'View Your Data Usage'
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 12-21-09 at 06:38 AM.
    12-21-09 06:36 AM
    Not to mention that the iPhone's data line is uncompressed, where as BlackBerry BIS data is heavily compressed. 300MB on a BB can easily translate to 500MB on an iPhone (Not an exact since, but for sure a big difference!) I'm surprised that rep. didn't mention that.
    12-21-09 08:42 AM
    Nope, he left that out. He uses an iPhone as well, so maybe he doesn't know.
    I had no idea about that until I read your post.
    Thanks wxm
    12-21-09 11:08 AM
    How do you like the iphone? I have an 8330 and am thinking of upgrading to the iphone.
    12-21-09 11:29 AM
    i just spent 3 days with the iphone and ended up hating it. between the increased data usage and the sucky battery life, i felt like i couldn't use the damn thing whereas i never gave second though to grabbing the blackberry.

i went back to my storm and feel much better. i'm one of the few that actually really likes the storm 1.

my main data activity is rss feeds and i'm so used to being able to use viigo constantly and burn so little data. even using just google reader on the iphone i was gobbling it up.

i was having other blackberry withdrawal symptons as well (calendar/task/alarm integration). facebook and gtalk integration. all sorts of things. i feel better now that i'm rid of it. but i had to try it just to get it out of my system. call it the 7 year itch i guess.
    12-21-09 03:02 PM
    How do you like the iphone? I have an 8330 and am thinking of upgrading to the iphone.
    So far it works for me. I miss bbm, and I prefer the menu system of bb.
    But so far I like it.

Battery: if you plan on using it a lot every day, you will need to recharge it at some point during the day. (In addition to charging it at night)

Touchscreen: I had never used one before, but now I probably type almost as fast as I did on my curve.

Browser: Hopefully the bb webkit browser will be equal to safari, but right now, the native Bb browser doesn't even come close to Safari.
    Tabbed browsing. It's nice. And much easier than what I did with my curve, when I would Ron Bolt, OM and native browser at the same time.

I do NOT want to start another BB vs. iPhone thread.

I am not a business user with 500 email contacts and multiple mail accounts. My device is strictly personal. Now yes, some people use the iPhone for business, but I want something that is fun.

Yes, I have downloaded silly, frivolous apps. Let me tell you why. Because I can, and because it's fun.

My curve was my toy. This is a better toy.

P.S. It's great that YouTube videos are not the size of a postage stamp like they were on my bb.
    12-21-09 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD