I am an avid reader of the forums here and have noticed that many people seem to upgrade their OS all the time.
    I have a Bold on Rogers and keep checking to see what version they have available under the assumption that they will release the latest/greatest for their customers.
    However they are still offering .162 only, which is the version that my phone came with.
    Therefore, some questions. Is it a good idea to update your OS from another source?

Why is Rogers so slow in offering the latest and presumably best OS upgrades?

Also, when upgrading your OS do you automatically lose your third party apps like games etc. If so why is this the case?

Thanks to anyone taking the time to help sort out my potentially brain-dead questions.
    01-19-09 04:11 PM
    If you do the upgrade with desktop manger 4.6 and you read how to upgrade your OS properly, your third party apps will be fine.

I'm on version .216 from a carrier in Europe I believe and absolutly no problems with it so far.
    01-19-09 05:41 PM
    I was wondering the same thing!
    Some people have told me not to do the updates, as it has caused them problems, and I've had others tell me to update as soon as it's available!
    I'm scared to do any updates if they become available!
    01-28-09 12:08 PM
    I am wondering the same about OS updating. Should I or need to update???

BB DM version 4.7.0.32
    Platform version 4.0.0.155
    Application version 4.6.0.162
    01-28-09 01:16 PM
    That's the same as mine.
    I can see from the other threads there are newer versions, but I'm scared to update!
    Does it matter where I upgrade from...does it have to be a Rogers specific upgrade?

Any help appreciated
    02-02-09 02:29 PM
    nope it doesn't need to be carrier specific. If you head to the Bold 9000 forum here, there is a thread for .216 and gives you a link to download, and you download it, install it, and then delete the vendor.xml file, fire up DM (better to use 4.6 instead of 4.7) and it will tell you there is an update and you're all set to go.

There are also great threads on how to upgrade, including the crackberry 101 guide
    02-02-09 03:38 PM
    most updates show very little change. slight memory gains most of the time
    02-12-09 09:25 PM
    I just upgraded to OS 216
    Rogers is very slow to keep pace with updates
    If you follow the upgrade instructions you will have no issues
    02-13-09 07:16 AM
    You can also use CrackMem, a great tool - do a search for it... I now use it for all my upgrades.

The other thing to consider is IF you run into issues, there are plenty of people here who can help you.
    02-13-09 09:45 AM
    I just upgraded to OS 216
    Rogers is very slow to keep pace with updates
    If you follow the upgrade instructions you will have no issues
    totally agree, if you wait for rogers, just forget about it.

rogers is still at 164 and so far i am at 234.

not all the beta are good that s why you have to read the thread about each of them. in the worse case you can always downgrade too so no worries with desktop manger 4.7 it s very easy. check the thread on how to update it s very easy
    02-13-09 10:22 AM
    I'd go with .195 to be honest that's what I'm running and its fantastic. If your worried stick to the downloads from the RIM site and not the "leaked" updates. That way if you run into any problems you'll be ready to go.

Anyone know if they are gonna enable OTA upgrades, the phone is capable that would be a big plus.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD