Let me start off by telling you I have been a customer of Cingular/AT&T for 10plus years and I have not had many issues with them and any issues I have had, they have remedied rather quickly. However, something that has happened recently is really irritating me.

I have two phones on my account and I had the text message feature which included 200 text messages plus free mobile to mobile text messages for $9.99per month. I had this feature for both phones for a total of $20 per month. When paying my last bill, I noticed I now had the $30 per month unlimited text message family plan, so I call CS and ask why I was switched to this new feature�I have no use for completely unlimited text messages because I have convinced my family and friends to switch to AT&T; therefore, free mobile to mobile text messages was perfect.

The CS rep informed me the mobile to mobile text feature was no longer available and I could not be switched back to it. When I explained to the CS rep I did not asked to switch my text features, the CS rep said he would file a claim to look into this and see if I could be switched back to my old feature. The CS rep also stated I would receive a call on the status of this within 2-5 days. Well, I waited and waited and no call. I decided to call back after 7 days and the CS rep at that time told me they would no switch me back to my old feature. When asked why, the rep said because I had requested the change at a store. I told the rep I had not even been to an AT&T store and I have no reason to switch to this new feature, but the rep refused to believe me. I asked which store the request came from and the rep could not even see what store the supposed change was requested.

The whole thing is really suspicious�switched to a higher cost feature without a request and no longer offering old feature, failure to contact me back with any explanations, and AT&T can�t even tell me what store the supposed change request came from.

I know $10 per month is not a major problem, but it�s the whole principles of the thing.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I am thinking the only option I have now is to file a complaint with the FCC for an unauthorized switch.
    07-23-08 10:11 AM
    I would call up customer service and request to speak with with a supervisor and explain the situation and ask for a resolution, now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 11:13 AM
    I did speak to a supervisor. She showed less concern than the original CS. She expressed no willingness to reach any resolve!

07-23-08 11:45 AM
    Well, that is definitely unfortunate and was reading this and figured that was what happened.

Now, also, AT&T won't just cancel your package and switch you to something else, either. Especially on a grandfathered plan. So one of two things happened.

1) You or something else authorized changed the feature thinking it's only $10.00 more.

2) The agent you originally spoke with, while discussing this, changed it thinking you said change it or you said change it and said nevermind.

So, assuming by what you said, I'm assuming the agent assumed it.

Also, how long of a time period did this discuss and the feature change have? Did you not notice until the next bill?

Lastly, I don't believe there will be a way to ever put that feature back on.. it sucks, but nothing can be done about it. Generally the agent is supposed to tell you before the fact. I really doubt you can do it, but you may be able to get a one time courtesy recurring $10.00 credit for a couple months... highly doubtful though.
    07-23-08 04:24 PM
    Wow that sucks... this i just one of the many reasons why i left AT&T years ago... their CS seems to never take responsibility for their screw ups... hope your able to get this resovled ... if it were me personally i would give them the ultimatem to either put the feature THEY took off back on or loose me as a customer...if youve been around for 10 yrs this will quickly show you how much they Value your business...but thats just me and my 2cents...(thats what i did the last time they screwed me over given i only had 2 yrs with them but they didnt want to remedy the issue so i went to VZW and have been happy ever since!) Hope it works out for you!
    07-23-08 04:32 PM
    Yes the principle of it really sucks. For one individual having a problem they seem like they don't care. Your stuck with the contract.
    One would think that you could say where and when did I authurize the change and show prof of said change.
    Could it be the store accidentally changed your plan thinking it was someone elses? Not likely but you know some of the peons out in the workforce that don't care.
    I'd keep at them until something gives. You know the squeeky wheel is the one that gets greased.
    Hopefully you can find resolution to you problem.

07-23-08 04:38 PM
    Not saying to take this route but. I would read the fine print on your contract! I believe this is in violation of your contract. I have heard of people getting out of paying the termination fee if they claim CS had made changes without the customers consent. That way you could get out and go with someone else.

Also if you keep calling and calling and calling maybe something might eventually be done. Or if you say you would like to cancel your service sometimes they may change it back.

I use to be with sprint, I called and said i want to cancel my service. When asked why i told them i was moving to Verizon because i could get signal at my house. The CS on the phone said i can give you the next 3 months free if you would like to stay with us. I wasn't under contract with them and didn't have to sign up for a contract either to get the 3 months free. I keep them for the next 3 months free then canceled after that.
    07-23-08 04:44 PM
    Well, that is definitely unfortunate and was reading this and figured that was what happened.

Now, also, AT&T won't just cancel your package and switch you to something else, either. Especially on a grandfathered plan. So one of two things happened.

1) You or something else authorized changed the feature thinking it's only $10.00 more.

2) The agent you originally spoke with, while discussing this, changed it thinking you said change it or you said change it and said nevermind.

So, assuming by what you said, I'm assuming the agent assumed it.

Also, how long of a time period did this discuss and the feature change have? Did you not notice until the next bill?

Lastly, I don't believe there will be a way to ever put that feature back on.. it sucks, but nothing can be done about it. Generally the agent is supposed to tell you before the fact. I really doubt you can do it, but you may be able to get a one time courtesy recurring $10.00 credit for a couple months... highly doubtful though.
    I am the only person authorized to make changes to features and I know I didn't do it. Also, they said the request was made at a store on 6/21/08...can't even remeber the last time I went to an AT&T store and spoke to a CS rep...much less discuss text message features as I had no need for a new text message feature.

I asked the Supervisor to give me a courtesy credit, but she said she couldn't do that...although I have known other people they have given a credit too.

I honestly think a customer requested a change and the change was incidently made to my account.
    07-23-08 04:46 PM
    I would call and keep asking for the next person up until you get what you want. Do not hang up and let them call you back-make sure you get each reps name and some kind of info so you know which employee they are.

At&t cs never wants to be responsible for the things they mess up-my husabnd works for at&t and just got into an argument with them bc of this exact problem

Good luck I hope they do the right thing

07-23-08 04:47 PM
    Wow - that's messed up. They can't just change anything without your okay first. I would definitely keep calling back until you find someone willing to help you. Good luck!
    07-23-08 04:49 PM
    make sure you get each reps name and some kind of info so you know which employee they are
    It is a good idea to document every conversation, and since I am an auditor, this is something I always do. I provided the CS rep the date, topic, and CS rep's name that I had spoken to the last time I had a question needing customer support.

Guess my documentation didn't help me this time!
    07-23-08 04:52 PM
    yeah i would also just keep calling until u reached someone that will actually take care of your problems cuz that is bs!
    07-23-08 04:54 PM
    Bleh, I don't like how the "they never take responsibility" thing is getting tossed around, since I work for the people you're talking about. I guess I can only speak upon my behalf here, but I don't think it's like that.

Also, again, don't think it's possible to readd that feature no matter who you talk to or how many times you call back. In our billing system, it restricts authorization of adding that code, for rep or manager.

As for the credit, not sure why the manager wouldn't credit you... generally you're not supposed to ask for them though . I would have gave you like a $30.00 credit for 3 months service.

Also, it may be possible it could have been an accident. Kind of leaning to a non-accident, because why would a store pull up your account on accident if you're not there? There's plenty of information showing names, phone numbers, addresses, etc in the account to notice that isn't the persons account they are working with.

I wish I could like call you and work with about this lol, at least get an answer for you haha.

I would call and keep asking for the next person up until you get what you want. Do not hang up and let them call you back-make sure you get each reps name and some kind of info so you know which employee they are.

At&t cs never wants to be responsible for the things they mess up-my husabnd works for at&t and just got into an argument with them bc of this exact problem

Good luck I hope they do the right thing

Just wanted to say something here; I know this may have been an accident, but in normal circumstances... you can't keep calling in and whining/complaining, because you didn't read first or look into details about prices, etc. AT&T is a business, you signed (most times don't even read it) a contract, and agreed to these things. Now, there are plenty of cases where credits are given out, due to error or courtesy.

Calling back continually, rep hopping, to get what you want is a bit immature. Assuming it's simply because you don't want to pay it.
    Last edited by Inifekt; 07-23-08 at 05:25 PM.
    07-23-08 05:16 PM
    I'm not reading everyone's responses, but I would just call Customer Service and let them know that you had the mobile to mobile feature for text messages. Let them know you understand they are not able to re-add the feature, but if they could kindly submit a billing ticket to get the feature re-added.
    07-23-08 06:08 PM
    Just wanted to touch on this, I submitted a billing ticket for the same thing yesterday and waiting for an email back.

Although, a co-worker of mine said she did one and came back denied. So, let's hope for the best in both cases (you and the customer I was speaking with).

07-25-08 07:55 AM
    Shop for a different carrier

07-25-08 08:03 AM
    Wow.. I'm sorry to hear that! If I was your CSR it would not go down like that. Like Jayden said if you call and ask for a billing ticket to be submitted it can be added!! If CSR not willing to do ask for a manager. And don't be afraid of calling "too much"!! I know this kind of stuff that happens often. Especially @ a store!! (Hope no one gets offended)
    You are a customer and a Customer is ALWAYS RIGHT!!
    Thats my .02 cents
    07-25-08 08:13 AM
    Wow.. I'm sorry to hear that! If I was your CSR it would not go down like that. Like Jayden said if you call and ask for a billing ticket to be submitted it can be added!! If CSR not willing to do ask for a manager. And don't be afraid of calling "too much"!! I know this kind of stuff that happens often. Especially @ a store!! (Hope no one gets offended)
    You are a customer and a Customer is ALWAYS RIGHT!!
    Thats my .02 cents

I wish you were my CSR too...wish I could dial in and talk to you personally. Like I said before, I spoke with a manager, and she seemed to be less caring than the original CSR. I am afraid if I keep calling in, the CSRs will put something in their notes that makes them less willing to help me.
    07-25-08 09:22 AM
    I totally believe att is giving you the runaround because the same exact thing has happened to me in the past and then some. I'm sure there are some great cust service agents out there, but the people I have dealt with personally - 1st line cust serv up through several supervisor levels - have basically all had the same attitude you are describing. They don't care how it got changed or who did it b/c it seems to me that it is too much trouble to find out.

07-26-08 09:19 PM
    I would put this on every site and ask for people with documentation that this has happened to.
    Then you get a lawyer and start a law suite. If your really pissed you call the TV stations and get one of the consumer news people to check it out.
    Trust me they do not want publicity of changing something with out your authorization

07-28-08 03:12 PM
    Calling back continually, rep hopping, to get what you want is a bit immature. Assuming it's simply because you don't want to pay it.
    I recall when I added tethering to my AT&T plan. The first person I contacted barely knew what tethering was and connected me to someone else instead - he tried to be as helpful as he could and at least he was honest. The second person said he knew what it was yet completely screwed up my data connection instead. A 3rd call got me someone who knew what he was doing, fixed the data problem, and got me tethering away (all during my evening express bus commute). Like at any company, even mine, sometimes you get people who know what they're doing, helpful people who don't, and the dreaded people who only think they know what they're doing.

Calling customer service for any company can be a lottery so calling multiple times is often the best way to get a problem resolved. If I call 2 different CSRs and get 2 different responses then the problem is almost certainly on their end. It's a bit like getting a second opinion from a doctor.
    07-28-08 04:40 PM
    Go to Untitled and file a complaint. They are pretty good at trying to get the two sides together to resolve any problem.
    07-28-08 04:41 PM
    If you look around at the ATT forum at Howard forums, this thing happens more than they would like to admit.
    Someone probably picked your account out of the blue and "upgraded" your plan collecting a commision on it. Usually they are good about correcting it, if the posts are any indication.
    07-28-08 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD