Hey guys,

I've been on Verizon ever since I moved to the US for university (in central PA) and had to get my own cell phone. They've been good to me throughout the years in exchange for many of my $, which is fine (you get what you pay for). However they have failed me with the lack of support for the Passport, and also the fact that the house I bought two years ago on a semi-mountainous area outside of DC happens to be in the one square mile of absolutely no Verizon service in the DC-MD-VA region. I even considered spending over $1000 to get a Wilson Electronics 4G LTE repeater antenna to hook it up on my roof, but my wife wouldn't let me (damn).

Anyway, AT&T has a tower nearby and I get full bars. They also happen to NOT BE STUCK USING CDMA, so it opens up the world of unlocked phones,.. which is quickly becoming the only way to use BlackBerry devices in the US.

I've been testing the Passport and AT&Ts network using a gophone sim card for the past week. It works. Hooray.

Now the question is, I'd like to purchase another Passport for my wife and move both of our lines to AT&T. Since I'm buying the Passports outright then I'd love to avoid a dammed two-year contract. I know there's the GoPhone route, but I read in some forums that GoPhone accounts don't get access to roaming partner cells, and aren't eligible for any of the international data plan addons. I saw on their website that they do mention something along the lines of "no-annual-contract-option". Is this something different or the same thing as the GoPhone?

Basically, I want the full AT&T service without getting hooked to a two year contract (since I'm bringing my own devices). Can this be done? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:12 PM
    Sure can! Since you're bring your own device, you can start on the mobile share value plan. It is post-paid, but you're not signing a two-year agreement unless you upgrade a phone using the two year pricing.

I switched from a traditional contract, to the mobile share for two devices.

After discounts and jargon I pay about 130 a month for unlimited talk and text with 30gb of shared data.

More information can be found here: http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/data-plans.html

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 09:57 PM
    Sure can! Since you're bring your own device, you can start on the mobile share value plan. It is post-paid, but you're not signing a two-year agreement unless you upgrade a phone using the two year pricing.

I switched from a traditional contract, to the mobile share for two devices.

After discounts and jargon I pay about 130 a month for unlimited talk and text with 30gb of shared data.

More information can be found here: http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/data-plans.html

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that's what I was trying to figure out. Seems like the normal device charge is $40 or something (for the lower data bundles), but then it has a little asterisk referring to a discount if it's on a no-annual-contract-option. Saddens me to leave big red, but... they leave me no choice!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:19 PM
    No contract at all:
    300MB up through 6GB: $25
    10GB up through 500GB: $15

Contract not complete, but started before February 2nd, 2014:
    300MB, 1GB: $40
    2GB up through 6GB: $25
    10GB up through 500GB: $15

Contract starting after February 1st, 2014:
    $40 no matter how large the shared data package is.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-07-14 06:19 PM