Hello all,

So I did my reading and lots of it and this is what I understand on how the BBM and PIN works...

Discription:
    My wife and I live in Toronto, both have BB 8900 with 1GB data plan locked to Rogers. Friends and family have BB's with data plan and live all over Canada.

1 - BBM or PIN each other as long as we're in Canada = Us free

2 - I/wife BBM or PIN somebody who lives in another country = Us free

3 - I'm in Mexico and BBM or PIN my buddy back in Toronto = Me Pay and buddy Free

4 - Buddy in Toronto BBM or PIN me while I'm in Mexico = Buddy free and me pay

5 - Wife and I are in Mexico, she's in Wal-Mart and I'm checking out the ladies in Playa de Carman by Senior Frog and we BBM or PIN each other = Big, take out a second mortgage, bill in the mail next month.

Confirm or correct my understanding.

Thanks.
    11-09-09 11:33 AM
    That's correct. Anytime you are outside of Canada with your phone you are going to get charged roaming for usage. You played you paid lol...

Roaming rates and packages can be found at Rogers.com/Roaming
    11-09-09 01:42 PM
    ...or turn off your phone and data in Networks and enable wi-fi. Then find free wi-fi hotspots near the Walmart and Senor Frogs and trade emails back and forth. Free - not a penny to Rogers.
    11-09-09 02:49 PM
    Definitely correct. And I can confirm Bazza1's post as well since I've used just my wi-fi to bbm/email and was never charged a cent. (Make sure mobile network is OFF and your data is set to Off While Roaming)

I <3 wi-fi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 08:04 PM
    This may sound like a really stupid question but i'll ask anyways. With regards to using your wifi while roaming, i thought that if the WiFi is bolded you are connected to a wireless router so i'm not being charged by Rogers.
    Do i need to turn off my Mobile network in order to use Wifi and not be charged roaming?
    Thanks a lot!
    11-10-09 12:57 PM
    Some apps default to the regular signal, others to Wi-Fi. The safest way is to disable your radio and just leave Wi-Fi active while browsing. That's what I do at work and everything works just fine for me.
    11-10-09 01:13 PM
    turn data off when roaming, safest bet if you still want voice and SMS
    11-10-09 01:25 PM
    Perfect. Thank you very much.
    11-10-09 02:13 PM
    Hello all,

So I did my reading and lots of it and this is what I understand on how the BBM and PIN works...

Discription:
    My wife and I live in Toronto, both have BB 8900 with 1GB data plan locked to Rogers. Friends and family have BB's with data plan and live all over Canada.

1 - BBM or PIN each other as long as we're in Canada = Us free

2 - I/wife BBM or PIN somebody who lives in another country = Us free

3 - I'm in Mexico and BBM or PIN my buddy back in Toronto = Me Pay and buddy Free

4 - Buddy in Toronto BBM or PIN me while I'm in Mexico = Buddy free and me pay

5 - Wife and I are in Mexico, she's in Wal-Mart and I'm checking out the ladies in Playa de Carman by Senior Frog and we BBM or PIN each other = Big, take out a second mortgage, bill in the mail next month.

Confirm or correct my understanding.

Thanks.

You are better off by using wi-fi only. That's what I do when I travel, although my BBM doesn't always work. Is this normal?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 02:31 PM
    While I travel outside of Canada I just turn off the mobile network and leave WIFI on. Sure there is the option to leave it on and turn data services "off while roaming", but if there ever was a problem I don't what to have that fight with Rogers. A few times in Asia I was able to use my UMA at airports/hotels/etc allowing me to make/receive calls from/to Canada and use BBM and other services.
    11-13-09 08:41 PM
    turn data off when roaming, safest bet if you still want voice and SMS
    Yes, always alllwayys turn off data connections when not in the country.
    11-13-09 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD