I'm a government employee and therefore qualify for the 15% monthly discount off the bill. When I called to set it up yesterday, I was informed that it would be starting a new contract all over again? Does this mean that my upgrade cycle starts all over again too (I would be due for the upgrade this June) ? NOt that waiting a year is so bad, but I got my 8520 off Craigslist and therefore don't qualify for the insurance (which I should have considering how hard I am on phones). So I have to wait another year or not? My hubs will have to wait, since he just upgraded.......
    This was a recent change. All corporate discounts now extend the contract for 2 years from the date the discount is added. The one year upgrade policy still applies, because contract extensions that are not done with a phone upgrade do not affect the upgrade date.
    01-30-10 11:40 PM
    pretty sure they made a big fan fare about getting rid of the fees but they must have forgotten to tell people that its a promo only.

none the less, i took the 9700 for 160 (after taxes and bull **** upgrade fee)

[rant]
    i know its not the reps fault but just is stupid to me. yes let me charge you an extra 18 dollars so we can lock you in a longer contract and please dont give me bs that i'm getting a 450 dollar phone for 160 dollars. that 450 is MSRP (another bull**** marketing term). you and i both know that tmobile doesn't didn't pay that much for the phone.
    i spend enough money with Tmobile and stay with them for their excellent customer service but corporate tmobile is ridiculous. always trying to nickle and dime you and i do think that an upgrade fee is bull **** fee[/rant]
    No fanfare, it just went away for a while. Like all promotions, it has to go away.

You don't like the upgrade fee? Blame AT&T. They were the first to start doing it (I think). Or blame Verizon, for following AT&T, and creating a market in which the biggest players are charging it.

Or if you want to take it one step further, blame the consumers in general. Many fees exist because a lot of people stopped factoring quality into their buying decisions. Cell carriers started doing upgrade fees for the same reason airlines started doing baggage fees.

Does T-Mobile pay for $450 for a Bold? Of course not. They wouldn't sell something at cost. Like any other business, they sell it for more than they pay for it. Would you prefer a company didn't make any money? Then they wouldn't be around to sell you products at ANY price.

What's your solution? Do away with the fee and raise the prices of the phones?
    01-31-10 01:21 AM
    Cell carriers started doing upgrade fees for the same reason airlines started doing baggage fees.

Airlines started doing baggage fees because they are all losing money due to the combination of less passenger/higher fuel prices. They needed to recuperate money from somewhere. Other tactics are booking changing fees, online seat select fees. What the cell phone carriers are doing cannot even measure to what the airlines are doing.

The reason why southwest airlines is still not charge baggage fees is because their smart CEO decided to pay in advance of fuel prices and locked in a rate a while ago. Seems stupid then, but unlike other airlines, the guy had vision and who's laughing now?

Back to the subject, of all the reps (online/phone) I've spoke to in regards to upgrade, not one of them did not agree to waive the $18 upgrade fee either by offering w/o asking or agreed with delight when asked for.

All it takes is a "Hi, how are you?" when they first answer the phone. These people love it when you greet them because most people don't. Social skills people can get you what you need without hassles.
    01-31-10 02:35 AM
    Airlines started doing baggage fees because they are all losing money due to the combination of less passenger/higher fuel prices. They needed to recuperate money from somewhere. Other tactics are booking changing fees, online seat select fees. What the cell phone carriers are doing cannot even measure to what the airlines are doing.

The reason why southwest airlines is still not charge baggage fees is because their smart CEO decided to pay in advance of fuel prices and locked in a rate a while ago. Seems stupid then, but unlike other airlines, the guy had vision and who's laughing now?
    I agree to a certain degree.

Airlines started charging baggage fee when the price of oil peaked @ $147/barrel in July 2008 and JetA peacked at $2.50/gallon. For those Airlines that didn't hedge their fuel, this is where the problem started. SWA hasn't charged a baggage fee, because they were hedged during the peak of the oil runup like you said. Just after they peak of the runup, SWA started loosing their hedges because they were selling their fuel for a SUBSTANTIAL profit to assist other airlines in their fuel price crisis.

Last time I looked, Oil was at $73/barrel, but airlines have not decreased their fees, but have INCREASED their fees for checked baggage. And Continental started this round, and AA was the last one to change (but not effective until tickets purchased 1 Feb or later).

Just thought I'd throw that out there, I'm intimate with the Aviation Industry. I refuse to check my bags now for this purpose. If they were "true" fees, they would have been dropped. But I read a story last week, that in the 3rd Quarter alone, United States Airlines as a hole generated $779M from checked baggage fees. Hard to turn that kinda money, good business sense from their end. And honestly, who will argue about an extra $25 fee? LOL

/hijack.
    01-31-10 08:50 AM
    I love this new upgrade policy, I got two 9700's for 129.99 each and they waived the 18.00 upgrage fee :-)
    01-31-10 05:24 PM
    does upgrading extend the contract?
    01-31-10 08:50 PM
    Wish I could take advantage of this but I switched to EM+ so no way back for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 10:00 PM
    Wish I could take advantage of this but I switched to EM+ so no way back for me.

I'm with you. I'd much rather take advantage of the early upgrade rather than saving 35-40 bucks. Oh well. It's ashame tmo won't let us EM+ users go back to a contract. Or will they? Lol!

01-31-10 10:58 PM
    does upgrading extend the contract?
    Yes, upgrading extends your contract on that line for two more years
    01-31-10 11:04 PM
    I agree to a certain degree.

Airlines started charging baggage fee when the price of oil peaked @ $147/barrel in July 2008 and JetA peacked at $2.50/gallon. For those Airlines that didn't hedge their fuel, this is where the problem started. SWA hasn't charged a baggage fee, because they were hedged during the peak of the oil runup like you said. Just after they peak of the runup, SWA started loosing their hedges because they were selling their fuel for a SUBSTANTIAL profit to assist other airlines in their fuel price crisis.

Last time I looked, Oil was at $73/barrel, but airlines have not decreased their fees, but have INCREASED their fees for checked baggage. And Continental started this round, and AA was the last one to change (but not effective until tickets purchased 1 Feb or later).

Just thought I'd throw that out there, I'm intimate with the Aviation Industry. I refuse to check my bags now for this purpose. If they were "true" fees, they would have been dropped. But I read a story last week, that in the 3rd Quarter alone, United States Airlines as a hole generated $779M from checked baggage fees. Hard to turn that kinda money, good business sense from their end. And honestly, who will argue about an extra $25 fee? LOL

/hijack.

They are still charging for bags regardless of fuel price because they are still trying to climb out from the hole.

I fly southwest only here in the States unless to Atlanta. No bag fees, no change fees, no rebooking fees, same day free standby if you miss your earlier flight. If you book a flight with someone else, you always have to hope and pray the fare doesn't drop. With southwest, if the price drops you can rebook at the lower price and no cancellation fee, you keep the difference for a year and anyone can use it! Not to mention you will never have to pay more than $300 roundtrip for any last minute emergency trips (besides holidays) on vouchers you can buy off of craigslist.
    02-01-10 05:08 AM

I feel sorry for you they did this, they should have an one time exemption for people to get back on EM if they want. In a way it's kind of shady. Any smart person would never have went with EM+ if they knew they can get a cheap upgrade after only a year instead of two.
    02-01-10 05:10 AM
    Effective January 27th, T-Mobile will begin allowing smartphone users to upgrade their phone every year at the new customer price. Additionally, customers with phone-first devices will be given the opportunity to upgrade to a smartphone at the new customer price.

I don't think I have to explain how huge this is.
    I'm a little late to the party here but thanks for posting this great news.
    02-01-10 11:29 AM
    sweet! I am due this month for my 1 yr anniv. but the not interested in the 9700, hopefully something comparable to the 8900 will come out I love my 8900 because of the size and weight, 9700 to big for me lol! I'll wait and see what the rest of 2010 has to bring.
    02-02-10 02:38 AM
    I would love to upgrade to the 9700, with the track pad and the much better battery life than my 8900. But who knows what will come out shortly? Might be worth it to wait.
    02-02-10 08:10 AM
    I would love to upgrade to the 9700, with the track pad and the much better battery life than my 8900. But who knows what will come out shortly? Might be worth it to wait.
    You could say this with any phone though. Such is the nature of technology. There will always be something newer and potentially better. If you like what is currently available, go for it.
    02-02-10 02:07 PM
    My situation is: I have slightly more than a year on my contract but I am also on EM Plus.

So I have no idea if I will get a better price. Right now, there is no love. The full price of the 9700 is 449.99 for me.

This is why I posted that there is no real reason for me to upgrade at this time. I am not going to pay full price for any phone. My 8900 is a great phone with less than stellar battery life. I can live with that.
    02-02-10 02:20 PM
    I was on EM+ but I called Retentions and asked nicely and I got switched back to my old Unlimited Loyalty plan. It was mistake to go onto the EM+ plan in the first place, so I don't plan on doing that again. Just upgraded to the Bold and it should be arriving here sometime tomorrow.

If you're on EM+, then no, you won't get better prices. Retail pricing still applies.
    02-02-10 02:39 PM
    I didn't care for my old plan, to be honest. Yeah, I had My Faves, and unlimited voice minutes, but I was paying nearly twenty dollars more a month, and had limited messaging.

I really like the plan I am on now and wish I could migrate over to the parallel plan that requires a contract extension.

I highly doubt they would let me do this.
    02-05-10 08:07 AM
    YEAH BUDDY!!! You just made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-05-10 11:12 AM
    I just took advantage of this myself. As a former 8800 user I defected to the G1. While its a nicer phone on some levels the 9700 now has the features my 8800 didn't sooooo I just redid my contract early (9 months) and have a new Bold comming. TMO used to have 1 year contracts and I would always get a new phone every year I am a happy camper.

02-06-10 02:33 PM
    am i wrong in assuming that you get an upgrade price at 12 months, but not a FULL upgrade price? Looking at the FAQ on t-mobile.com says that there are a couple levels, assuming a 2 year contract and a qualifying rate plan:

1-11 months since last upgrade (ie Early Upgrade - GOOD)
    @ 12 months or more since last upgrade (ie Early Upgrade Plus - BETTER)
    @ 22 months or more since last upgrade (ie Upgrade BEST)

AFAIK, I'm in the 1-11 months since last upgrade category (will be 12 months in 10 days), and the pricing available to me on a 9700 is $379. What will the pricing be after 10 days when I hit the 12 months for the Early Upgrade Plus?
    02-07-10 04:46 PM
    am i wrong in assuming that you get an upgrade price at 12 months, but not a FULL upgrade price? Looking at the FAQ on t-mobile.com says that there are a couple levels, assuming a 2 year contract and a qualifying rate plan:

1-11 months since last upgrade (ie Early Upgrade - GOOD)
    @ 12 months or more since last upgrade (ie Early Upgrade Plus - BETTER)
    @ 22 months or more since last upgrade (ie Upgrade BEST)

AFAIK, I'm in the 1-11 months since last upgrade category (will be 12 months in 10 days), and the pricing available to me on a 9700 is $379. What will the pricing be after 10 days when I hit the 12 months for the Early Upgrade Plus?
    If you are going to the 9700, the price will drop to the $129.99 BEST price at the 12 month mark. All smartphones skip to BEST pricing at 12 months
    02-07-10 05:14 PM
    excellent, thanks for the heads up!
    02-08-10 03:12 AM
    I just got burned by this upgrade policy; I had a curve with a data line only for $29.99 a month (I have a separate voice plan). When I saw the new policy, I called to get the 9700, and agreed to extend my service for another 2 years. I just got my T-Mobile bill and was shocked to see the monthly charge had doubled to $60 a month. T-Mobile had omitted to mention when I called to order the 9700 that there was a required $30 a month additional charge for Blackberry Web. With the curve, I already had access to the web, there was no additional charge, but now under this new "upgrade" policy, my montly cost has doubled - this is really pretty disgusting.

yay, I can finally upgrade to a 9700 or something else w/o paying the retail cost.
    02-08-10 09:09 AM
    I just got burned by this upgrade policy; I had a curve with a data line only for $29.99 a month (I have a separate voice plan). When I saw the new policy, I called to get the 9700, and agreed to extend my service for another 2 years. I just got my T-Mobile bill and was shocked to see the monthly charge had doubled to $60 a month. T-Mobile had omitted to mention when I called to order the 9700 that there was a required $30 a month additional charge for Blackberry Web. With the curve, I already had access to the web, there was no additional charge, but now under this new "upgrade" policy, my montly cost has doubled - this is really pretty disgusting.
    So there is a catch... Req. to purchase bb web for $30, I guess tmo needs to make money so how. Anyone else need to purchase this on new upgrade policy?
    02-09-10 02:42 AM
108 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD