Well. Don't know if you guys want to hear this or not but I'll say it anyways. I went into Cell South today and asked if they had an HTC Hero that I could get my hands onto. They went into the back and brought out and allowed me to mess around with it. It was really nice. It feels like a quality phone in your hands and types a lot easier than I thought it would. It is very responsive and looks really nice. While the Sprint interface does look cheap to me, the cellular south interface looks a bit different. It looks more like a business phone and less like a toy.

I was only able to go to facebook.com and it loaded up fairly quickly. The seamless keys at the bottom of the metallic frame are easier to press than I had imagined. When typing, the phone clicks, which is an upgrade over the iPhone (in my opinion). The screen was very sharp and bright. The best part about this whole story was the lady was 100% certain that I could walk out of the store with one November 2nd. Lets hope this is true.

I know this is a tour fourm, but didn't know where else to post. I know there are a few of you awaiting the Hero with me. I hope someone finds this post helpful in the slightest bit.
    10-28-09 09:22 PM
    Thank you for your report about the hero! I am more interested about the BB 9630! Thanks though!

Trae
    10-29-09 02:58 AM
    Tour out by the 1st? I really hope you weren't getting played because I really need a new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 05:34 AM
    what area are you in? my primary MS based travel and dwelling is Oxford, Cleveland, Jackson and Grenada which all have proven to be good, 3G connections. I have friends that switched a while back.
    primarily in the Jackson area

Actually handled a BlackBerry Tour on the CS network earlier in the week. Nice feel to it. I am ready for mine!! Understanding that CS has a warehouse full of them and getting real close to launch. A few more software tweeks and here we go! CS is making sure the device is ready - just looking out for their customers. Rumors say within 2 weeks. . . (we will see).
    I also got to play with one yesterday. The screen is very clear and bright, I was impressed. This particular one had a terrible trackball, but the guy assured me that RIM is giving them a different build of the phone and we shouldn't see the trackball issue. It had a solid, heavy feel to it, which I like very much. Looks like it going to be a great BB to have.
    10-29-09 08:21 AM
    Here are a pic I took yesterday. Sorry, for the quality, the Pearl camera isn't so great.

Last edited by asmith001; 10-29-09 at 09:11 AM.
    10-29-09 08:59 AM
    Yeah, their selection of devices is very enticing... from the storm, tour, possible tour2, Droid, the list goes on and on. I just don't think I could stomach the loss of coverage (that I've experienced second hand) and the rate plan pricing.
    You sound like a SALES rep for Cell South.....could there be any truth to this.... loss of coverage huh... tell me what kind of coverage cell south would have outside of Mississippi with out its partnership with Verizon.
    10-29-09 11:18 AM
    You sound like a SALES rep for Cell South.....could there be any truth to this.... loss of coverage huh... tell me what kind of coverage cell south would have outside of Mississippi with out its partnership with Verizon.
    VERY good point, Chaser. I haven't found one person that has problems with Verizon's coverage in or out of MS...even in some rural areas which when I called Verizon, they kindly told me the rural highways by number (404E, etc) that I'd like have 1X and not 3G. Up front info....sweeet!
    10-29-09 11:22 AM
    haha! That's funny. I don't work for cellular south. I'm an IT/marketing manager for a company in Jackson. Good guess though.

I'm familiar with the way CS obtains nationwide coverage, but it has been my experience (only from 2 or 3 people that I've worked with as customers) that Verizon has weak coverage in Central, MS. Does that mean that I think Verizon sucks and that everyone must have CS? ..no. I'm just telling you my opinion based on my limited experiences.

And there's no need for me to mention plan pricing.
    10-29-09 11:29 AM
    haha! That's funny. I don't work for cellular south. I'm an IT/marketing manager for a company in Jackson. Good guess though.

I'm familiar with the way CS obtains nationwide coverage, but it has been my experience (only from 2 or 3 people that I've worked with as customers) that Verizon has weak coverage in Central, MS. Does that mean that I think Verizon sucks and that everyone must have CS? ..no. I'm just telling you my opinion based on my limited experiences.

And there's no need for me to mention plan pricing.
    uh oh. im located in central ms. actually all the areas i mentioned earlier are in central ms. just for clarity NOT to make an argument. i have to watch my words these days. lol. im teasing, but i am in central ms tho.
    10-29-09 11:34 AM
    yeah, I understand. For some reason there's a lot of hostility in this thread. I don't understand it, personally. I'm not trying to argue Verizon's service. I know they've been pushing hard in this market for a while. Two of their sales reps call me occasionally trying to get our business. Obviously it is improving... I just didn't realize how fast.
    10-29-09 11:38 AM
    yeah, I understand. For some reason there's a lot of hostility in this thread. I don't understand it, personally. I'm not trying to argue Verizon's service. I know they've been pushing hard in this market for a while. Two of their sales reps call me occasionally trying to get our business. Obviously it is improving... I just didn't realize how fast.
    just like the iphone and Blackberry...they both have their place in this world. Verizon has the latest and greatest devices and really good 3g coverage and service. CellSouth has outstanding plans, great 1X service, and the Mississippi State Institution contract in their back pocket!! See, they both fit!
    10-29-09 11:41 AM
    well...not that this means too much because we have all been waiting on the tour for months now..i just called cellular south to ask them about the Tour and he said it is projected to be out before Thanksgiving! still not what i wanted to hear since i wanted it like yesterday!
    10-29-09 11:46 AM
    well to make a vague comments based on, "not being able to stomach the loss of coverage" I've never had a problem with Verizon's service, granted in Mississippi Verizon is upgrading towers from alltel's outdated towers to their towers, but go anywhere in the country outside of "central Mississippi" and you won't be using Cell Souths network, it will be Verizon. So let me ask you, when you leave central Mississippi how is you coverage? I'm not trying to start anything with you, but you make these comments, and then call people "hostile" when you don't get the responses you desire.....
    10-29-09 11:48 AM
    I stand corrected, Chaser. I shouldn't have assumed, based on the info that I have.
    10-29-09 12:45 PM
    all good here. I'm just really disappointed with Cell South right now, I've had the Tour long enough to move on and get the Storm 2, well for me that doesn't take long, but none the less, I have a lot of close friends still with Cellular South that are waiting for the Tour, you would think that I wouldn't care because I have the device I want, but there are some people that can't switch due to certain obligations, that would like to have a device fast enough to not need a computer. The curve is a great phone, but is under spec'd for the power user, I just don't see Sprint and Verizon pushing these phones out the door everyday, but the "trackball" is still having issues.... maybe I'm wrong, but until Cell South was going to release the Tour in August, then all along comes the hero announcement, Cell South with their loyalty to HTC gets an almost exclusive phone (or at least that was the talk at the time).... then all of a sudden the Tour is having so many issues. Maybe, but seems kinda strange to me.
    10-29-09 12:58 PM
    These recent device delays, or premature announcements, whichever the case may be, are definitely strange. Perhaps it's just a small regional carrier "getting the cart before the horse" and not having the resources to actually deliver. Regardless of the circumstances, it's frustrating to many people... including me.
    10-29-09 01:05 PM
    These recent device delays, or premature announcements, whichever the case may be, are definitely strange. Perhaps it's just a small regional carrier "getting the cart before the horse" and not having the resources to actually deliver. Regardless of the circumstances, it's frustrating to many people... including me.
    Re: "small regional carrier" - Cellular South lost that sterotype a long time ago. They are definitely not your typical small town carrier anymore. The only problem is that I don't think even they realize that. One thing's for sure is that customer expectation is definitely not that of a small town carrier. I think management needs to decide if they want to fall back to "small town carrier" status or finish crossing the line to be a leading carrier.
    10-29-09 01:10 PM
    I'm not saying they are a small town carrier, but in the national carrier scene, they are a small, regional carrier compared to V, AT&T, Sprint, etc. But I agree with you, I don't think they even realize their size and customer demand. As a matter of fact, sometimes, I get the feeling that they expect the majority of their customers to be "small town."
    10-29-09 01:37 PM
    Will Cellular South get the Tour 2 (Essex), I don't want to get the Tour then the essex come out with WiFi J months later! I really need WiFi on my Berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 02:30 PM
    Tour announced on facebook for friday
    10-29-09 05:14 PM
    Friday the 30 of october 149 after rebate
    10-29-09 05:15 PM
    WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! I saw the update too! I am so ExCiTeD!!
    10-29-09 05:35 PM
    all good here. I'm just really disappointed with Cell South right now, I've had the Tour long enough to move on and get the Storm 2, well for me that doesn't take long, but none the less, I have a lot of close friends still with Cellular South that are waiting for the Tour, you would think that I wouldn't care because I have the device I want, but there are some people that can't switch due to certain obligations, that would like to have a device fast enough to not need a computer. The curve is a great phone, but is under spec'd for the power user, I just don't see Sprint and Verizon pushing these phones out the door everyday, but the "trackball" is still having issues.... maybe I'm wrong, but until Cell South was going to release the Tour in August, then all along comes the hero announcement, Cell South with their loyalty to HTC gets an almost exclusive phone (or at least that was the talk at the time).... then all of a sudden the Tour is having so many issues. Maybe, but seems kinda strange to me.
    no reason to be disappointed anymore... its coming tomorrow!!
    10-29-09 05:39 PM
    From cell south face book. Yeah you guys beat me to it lol. about an hour ago Cellular South The Tour is nearly here! After a rigorous testing process, our newest BlackBerry ships out today and will begin arriving in Cellular South stores as early as Friday evening, October 30 th. The Tour comes with BlackBerry Appworld, a 3.2 megapixel camera, and much more. The 2 yr contract price for the Tour will be $ 149.99 ( after $50 Mail-in rebate)
    10-29-09 06:14 PM
    They way shipping is in greenville we wont get it until tuesday!
    10-29-09 06:36 PM
487 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD