Update: December 7

This hack is no longer needed to run 5.0 on your CSouth device. Cellular South officially have 5.0 service books. Thanks to everyone who tested and relayed this info.

Update: November 3rd

Ladies and gentlemen, as a result of the brilliance of kylemcdonald87 (and Chaser1337) and the rebel in me, we have figured out how to make 5.0.0.230 work flawlessly on the Cellular South Tour. Follow these instructions and use the attached file rather than the ATT file mentioned in the instructions.

***Follow steps exactly
    ***To remove all of the extra Verizon icons, simply go to Options, Advanced, Service Book and remove them and any "stray" email accounts that may show up. Don't worry. These belong to the guy that pulled the service books.
    ***Pretty much every app works with this build (trust me i'm running 25+), but if you're using Quick Launch, your mention has to be on the right side. For whatever reason the left side screws it up.

Instructions on upgrading/installing/updating OS's here.

Enjoy and install at your own risk! Should you run into any bluetooth issues, simply go to the options of our bluetooth device, uncheck all services, save, go back in, recheck them, save, and whoila!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone know what's up with this, specifically for the Tour? I was able to use a browser hack from another carrier to make the service book (primarily the browser SB) remain after registering the device on the csouth network. However with the Tour, that hack works only up until the Tour finishes receiving carrier service books. Then it disappears. Anyone successfully make it work yet, or know when we'll get 5.0 service books? I'd like to think soon seeing how RIM is slowly releasing official 5.0's.
    Last edited by mscooley; 12-07-09 at 09:47 AM.
    11-02-09 02:32 PM
    i'll second this request......I'd like to put 5.0 on my girlfriends curve.....with out having to h4xor it!
    11-02-09 02:55 PM
    The hack works for the curve I am using 5.0 now. But we won't see an official release until some time in december.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 07:03 PM
    The hack works for the curve I am using 5.0 now. But we won't see an official release until some time in december.

that's what i don't get. i seriously think it has something to do with the tour because im not sure about your 8330 but i never received the Discover Center service book, but i do on the Tour.
    11-02-09 08:09 PM
    Knowing Cell South it probly is a tour thing. May just have to wait till the official release in Dec.
    11-02-09 08:50 PM
    Knowing Cell South it probly is a tour thing. May just have to wait till the official release in Dec.
    That's why I don't like carrier restrictions. If we're paying a monthly service and for devices we should have the freedom to do what we please. Running 5.0 is NOT gonna cripple or affect the network for that matter.

11-02-09 08:55 PM
    has to be a tour thing with them, I loaded 5.0 on my tour out of the gate with Verizon with no problems. Its probably as simple as them loading the service books for 5.0 on their server, could even be as simple as them requesting it from RIM
    11-03-09 09:45 AM
    i may try it again today using the .230 base and no hybrid. worth a shot and yeah you're right.
    11-03-09 09:51 AM
    Ladies and gentlemen, as a result of the brilliance of kylemcdonald87 (and Chaser1337) and the rebel in me, we have figured out how to make 5.0.0.230 work flawlessly on the Cellular South Tour. Follow these instructions and use the attached file rather than the ATT file mentioned in the instructions.

***Follow steps exactly
    ***To remove all of the extra Verizon icons, simply go to Options, Advanced, Service Book and remove them and any "stray" email accounts that may show up. Don't worry. These belong to the guy that pulled the service books.
    ***Pretty much every app works with this build (trust me i'm running 25+), but if you're using Quick Launch, your mention has to be on the right side. For whatever reason the left side screws it up.

Enjoy and install at your own risk!
    Last edited by mscooley; 11-03-09 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added one more brilliant mind.
    11-03-09 02:19 PM
    Ladies and gentlemen, as a result of the brilliance of kylemcdonald87 and the rebel in me, we have figured out how to make 5.0.0.230 work flawlessly on the Cellular South Tour. Follow these instructions and use the attached file rather than the ATT file mentioned in the instructions.

***Follow steps exactly

Enjoy and install at your own risk!
    Hey I was the one who said Verizon Service Books instead of AT&T, ha ha ha,,,,jk glad yah figured it out!!!! what a community!
    11-03-09 02:27 PM
    Hey I was the one who said Verizon Service Books instead of AT&T, ha ha ha,,,,jk glad yah figured it out!!!! what a community!
    LOL. check the post now. you guys make me better!
    11-03-09 02:50 PM
    LOL. check the post now. you guys make me better!
    ha There just about always is a work around!
    11-03-09 05:07 PM
    I struggled for hours with resending books and other options. I even downgraded back to 4.7. Then I found your workaround, and it worked great. My tour seems faster and all my apps work. Thanks!
    11-08-09 01:16 PM
    I struggled for hours with resending books and other options. I even downgraded back to 4.7. Then I found your workaround, and it worked great. My tour seems faster and all my apps work. Thanks!
    awesomeness.
    11-08-09 02:12 PM
    mscooley and all others, thanks for your help. This also works perfectly on an Appalachian Wireless Tour.
    11-22-09 07:37 AM
    Ok so I took the plunge last night and loaded up 5.0. And was all ready to go though the browser fix. But low and behold when my phone rebooted and my service books pushed my browser was there.

So I didn't have to do any kind of fix to it just installed 5.0 and was ready to go.

12-03-09 09:08 AM
    Ok so I took the plunge last night and loaded up 5.0. And was all ready to go though the browser fix. But low and behold when my phone rebooted and my service books pushed my browser was there.

So I didn't have to do any kind of fix to it just installed 5.0 and was ready to go.

MAJOR discovery!!!!! Nice Work Cyber!! Sweet. Looks like CSouth finally updated which means that an official 5.0 must be in testing I read on another forum that RIM will roll out 5.0 for the Tour when the Tour 2 (Essex) drops....basically same thing they did with the Storm. Hopefully this is correct. Again, thanx for letting us know.
    12-03-09 09:12 AM
    So does this mean I can load the leaked 5.0 without having to do anything else and my browser and Cellular South app will still be there? When I tried this the first time, I had to take my phone back to CSouth for them to default it!
    12-03-09 08:52 PM
    So does this mean I can load the leaked 5.0 without having to do anything else and my browser and Cellular South app will still be there? When I tried this the first time, I had to take my phone back to CSouth for them to default it!
    you got it!!! just confirmed with Kyle.
    12-03-09 09:30 PM
    you got it!!! just confirmed with Kyle.

Thanks you guys. Took the plunge and it works great!
    12-06-09 02:37 PM
    Glad to hear it. I'm going to update the original post. Thanx.
    12-07-09 09:45 AM
    Any word on an official Cellsouth release of 5.0 for the Tour? Also, is there a post/link with the benefits of upgrading from 4.7 to 5.0?

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
    12-23-09 04:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD