I just went through hurricane Ike in Houston and dealing with cell phone outage. For those wanting to ditch their land line phones for cell phones think again, because I am able to use my landline currently,using my old sony plug in phone, but I keep getting network overload messages from T-Mobile. My blackberry is showing four bars and showing edge but still calls not going thru, but a few voicemails were able to come in. I think the cariers had the same problem during the recent California earthquake. Not all bad news the network worked during night on Sep 13 while our power went out about 7PM, so I was able to keep track of the storm while the winds were blowing at 80 miles an hour on my blackberry curve. My blackberry curve(accuweather.com) and my 5 dollar sports radio kept me informed allnight.
    09-14-08 12:56 AM
    that's because everyone is using their cellphone down there since very few people are in their homes to use a landline.

if everyone used text messaging instead, the network wouldnt be so overloaded.

and good luck down there. i'm on my way there in the morning to help with the recovery.
    09-14-08 05:40 AM
    I have friends in houston and can't reach them, can you give me an idea how houston came though?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 12:41 PM
    Downtown Houston the windows blew out in the high rise building and the signal light were ripped off and lots of trees down all over Harris County which is Houston area! I have family in houston area and Galveston too.
    09-14-08 01:23 PM
    Land lines can go out too.
    09-14-08 01:24 PM
    ^ this is very true my family is ok thank god a harris county sheriff deputy is her neighbor I contacted him thru the sheriff's office.
    09-14-08 01:26 PM
    When I experienced hurricane Wilma in 2005 in Fort Lauderdale, cell towers were fine until backup batteries were drained. Then they brought in generators to power the cell towers.

Hang in there. I know what y'all are going through! We had no power for 13 days after the storm.
    09-16-08 02:57 PM
    Still no contact with family and friends for me and the news doesn't say much here in Orlando about the recovery efforts. Most everyone was in the montrose area of houston my prayers are with them and I hope to hear from them soon or maybe a crackberry person could tell me about that area.

09-16-08 03:32 PM
    Houston as whole is is shambles depenidng on where you are in Houston. I was fortunate enough to only loose water for day and that was all. I work downtown and up until yesterday it was on lockdown. I am actually at work now and some streets are still blocked off.

As for the residents, there are still several thousands with out power and running water. Landlines are experiencing issues as well. It was hetic trying to contact people over the weekend and that bothered the crap out of me.

As for keeping in contact, we basically texted everyone that we could. One of my aunt's who is not to friendly with technology learned how to text this weekend, granted she used my blackberry, but she learned. She is buying her blackberry when stores open again.

But as for communication with friends and family down here, please try to rely on text messages. If they are in area without power, you probably won't hear from them until either later this week or as early as Monday or Tuesday next week. Keep us in your prayers as we need it.

Thanks!
    09-16-08 03:51 PM
    As of last night, there were still over 1.5 million customers without power when you include the north Houston suburbs.

As for land lines, there were useless over the weekend because some were dead as soon as the generators went out. Ours did in SE Houston. Cell service (T Mo) was non existent other than data was coming in sporadically but it did make it in.
    09-18-08 07:54 AM
    I complain about the ice and snow we get for a couple months of the year, but the possibility of coming home to find my bedroom in the street, snow is not sounding that bad.
    I hope you all can repair / rebuild soon.
    09-18-08 08:05 AM
    Of the people who have BB cameras can you please post some picts and where they were taken. I lived in Houston and can't reach anyone and only have my BB for news etc and really can't find any pictures or good reports. If you want email them to me at macgyver2@tmo.blackerry.net any news I can get is better then not knowing.

09-18-08 01:25 PM
    Well, my BB Curve kept getting low coverage unable to access internet. But I could make calls. Though I did not get them all the time. Most went straight to voice mail. But, my brother whom is a SPRINT user, phone kept roaming for about 2 to 3 days. (He is not a Blackberry user) But, things are getting better for us in Houston, but our patience is soo short. We want to snap our fingers, and it will be like it was. But, that is not the case. Pray for us, and those who have lost more than just electricity.
    09-18-08 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD