I purchased an STA 100-3 Verizon Z30 last year with the ultimate goal of switching over from AT&T when my contract was over. I did this cause I knew I wouldn't get LTE on AT&T.

I have now tried twice to activate the phone on Verizon and it has never been able to. In fact, they tell me at the store they can't even see the Z30 in their activation queue after I go through the sign up process. I am using a Verizon SIM that they gave me at the store.

They tell me the problem is that I had an AT&T SIM in the phone and it's now somehow not dealing with the Verizon SIM properly. I have tried two brand new SIMS with the same result.

Anyone have an idea of how to get this activated? It seems a Verizon phone should have no problem on a Verizon network. Any setting I should try? Sorry about being long winded here. Thanks!

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.3.1.632
    10-03-14 05:44 PM
    It's a Verizon issue really, their system needs to see it. One other option would be to contact AT&T tech support (get the highest tech support you can get, not customer care) and ask them to remove the device from your account/their database. If they say they can't, they're not telling the truth. Ask for someone else (a supervisor) but be nice about it.
    kbz1960 and howards like this.
    10-03-14 05:51 PM
    It's a Verizon issue really, their system needs to see it. One other option would be to contact AT&T tech support (get the highest tech support you can get, not customer care) and ask them to remove the device from your account/their database. If they say they can't, they're not telling the truth. Ask for someone else (a supervisor) but be nice about it.
    So you think by AT&T removing the device completely it would allow it to be seen by Verizon? Sure seems worth a try, thanks! Have you seen cases like this before?

10-03-14 08:03 PM
    Never heard of this for BlackBerry 10 devices.

I know this could be an issue with BBOS devices due to the PIN being active with another carrier.

You could try activating your service with a different phone, then just moving the SIM into the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    howards likes this.
    10-03-14 10:54 PM
    Have you tried doing a factory reset / restore?
    howards likes this.
    10-04-14 09:23 AM
    Have you tried doing a factory reset / restore?
    At the Verizon store he security wiped the device. Are you referring to setting the phone up as it originally was through BlackBerry Link?

10-04-14 10:05 AM
    At the Verizon store he security wiped the device. Are you referring to setting the phone up as it originally was through BlackBerry Link?

How long were you there? From what I understand a security wipe can take hours. Are you sure that's what he did?

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    howards likes this.
    10-04-14 11:58 AM
    I'm talking about putting the phone back to it's original factory settings. Blackberry Link / Back Up & Restore / Factory Reset (Reset your device to factory defaults)
    The reason I'm saying this, is that you used this phone with AT&T and id probably has AT&T software embedded in it, especially if you received a update while on AT&T.
    Last edited by JORENO; 10-04-14 at 01:55 PM.
    howards likes this.
    10-04-14 01:13 PM
    How long were you there? From what I understand a security wipe can take hours. Are you sure that's what he did?

Not 100% sure. It took a while, but less than an hour. It did reset the phone OS to a different version, but again I wasn't paying too much attention. But that didn't do the trick either.

10-04-14 02:15 PM
    I'm talking about putting the phone back to it's original factory settings. Blackberry Link / Back Up & Restore / Factory Reset (Reset your device to factory defaults)
    The reason I'm saying this, is that you used this phone with AT&T and id probably has AT&T software embedded in it, especially if you received a update while on AT&T.
    I agree, as on the power down screen I get the AT&T logo (on boot up I get the Verizon logo). A factory reset just might do it.

I guess because its a Verizon phone the only OTA OS updates I've received have been from Verizon not AT&T even though that's the carrier SIM I'm using.

10-04-14 02:18 PM
    I've heard or others getting updates from other carriers by inserting that carrier s Sim into their unlocked phone
    10-04-14 02:55 PM
    I've heard or others getting updates from other carriers by inserting that carrier s Sim into their unlocked phone
    I've heard that as well. I was never sure which OTA updates I would get but it turned out to be Verizon even though I had the AT&T SIM in there.

10-04-14 03:34 PM
    you did go to Settings / Network and Connections / Mobile Network Net Tech. and select LTE/CDMA
    howards likes this.
    10-04-14 08:05 PM
    you did go to Settings / Network and Connections / Mobile Network Net Tech. and select LTE/CDMA
    Actually it was set for Global Phone, which I thought covered all the other settings as well. I did see the option for LTE/CDMA, but again thought Global Phone covered everything. Do you think that was the problem?

10-05-14 01:57 AM
    I think Global will work
    10-05-14 08:48 AM
    I tried to activate on Verizon again yesterday at a Verizon store. They were confident it would activate. It didn't. And I went in this time with the phone wiped. I'm about finished trying as nothing they have done works.

It's a Verizon Z30, unlocked (they were all sold that way), using a new Verizon SIM card.

The rep's last statement to me was maybe the phone being unlocked is causing the issue and possibly tech support can come up with a solution/workaround. Anyone have any thoughts as I'm about finished trying? All this to try to get LTE (I'm currently on AT&T, no LTE), and I'm not even sure it's that big a deal. Would be nice though since it's an LTE phone.

10-07-14 11:28 AM
    I would listen to Bla1ze, he is the expert. Did you ever do the factory reset. That is big deal showing AT&T on shutdown and showing Verizon on startup.
    howards likes this.
    10-07-14 11:42 AM
    I would listen to Bla1ze, he is the expert. Did you ever do the factory reset. That is big deal showing AT&T on shutdown and showing Verizon on startup.
    From BlackBerry Link I did a restore to factory defaults wipe. After that the phone didn't show any logos on boot or shutdown. It still had the OS 10.3 I'm using, but that's about all. Basically the phone was fresh except for the OS, and I can't believe that would block activation. Could it?

10-07-14 01:03 PM
    put this in the Z30 forum, maybe you will get more results.
    10-07-14 01:20 PM
    From BlackBerry Link I did a restore to factory defaults wipe. After that the phone didn't show any logos on boot or shutdown. It still had the OS 10.3 I'm using, but that's about all. Basically the phone was fresh except for the OS, and I can't believe that would block activation. Could it?

Well I suppose it could, since you are trying to activate a phone with an OS that has not yet been released. Since you have wiped the phone anyway, what would it hurt to downgrade to the latest official Verizon OS and give it a try. You can always upgrade again.

howards likes this.
    10-07-14 01:45 PM
    Well I suppose it could, since you are trying to activate a phone with an OS that has not yet been released. Since you have wiped the phone anyway, what would it hurt to downgrade to the latest official Verizon OS and give it a try. You can always upgrade again.

I hear you. But this would be the third time I've tried to activate the Z30 on Verizon and it's failed each time. I know I was running an official OS one of those times (not sure if it was Verizon at the time though). Maybe I'll try this yet again with your suggestion. It just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult with a Verizon phone and Verizon SIM.

I have to agree with earlier post that the problem is on Verizon's end. Their system is just not seeing my phone for whatever reason. I don't want to take the phone off AT&T until I'm certain I can activate with Verizon. I may have a chat with tech support as well and see what they think.

JORENO likes this.
    10-07-14 02:50 PM
    I hear you. But this would be the third time I've tried to activate the Z30 on Verizon and it's failed each time. I know I was running an official OS one of those times (not sure if it was Verizon at the time though). Maybe I'll try this yet again with your suggestion. It just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult with a Verizon phone and Verizon SIM.

I have to agree with earlier post that the problem is on Verizon's end. Their system is just not seeing my phone for whatever reason. I don't want to take the phone off AT&T until I'm certain I can activate with Verizon. I may have a chat with tech support as well and see what they think.

I'm not a tech guru, but something you said above makes me wonder. You said "I don't want to take the phone off AT&T ". Wouldn't Verizon need to do this to get it on their network? How could one phone on AT&T and try provisioning it on another network at the same time?
    JORENO and howards like this.
    10-07-14 03:00 PM
    My brother once had a problem with his 9930 brand new that he couldn't activate on Verizon then someone gave him the idea that maybe the imei printed is wrong and told him to type *#06# into the phone app and it will give you the imei which is for sure correct and then it worked. I don't know if the you need to put in the imei or just put in the sim to activate a z30 on Verizon but try that see what happens

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    howards likes this.
    10-07-14 03:18 PM
    I'm not a tech guru, but something you said above makes me wonder. You said "I don't want to take the phone off AT&T ". Wouldn't Verizon need to do this to get it on their network? How could one phone on AT&T and try provisioning it on another network at the same time?
    it's a good thought. But whenever I go to get the Z30 activated I always have the SIM from it in my Z10. I don't port over the phone number, but get a new one. So as far as AT&T is concerned the Z30 doesn't exist on their system as now they're showing a Z10 as my device.

10-07-14 03:40 PM
    My brother once had a problem with his 9930 brand new that he couldn't activate on Verizon then someone gave him the idea that maybe the imei printed is wrong and told him to type *#06# into the phone app and it will give you the imei which is for sure correct and then it worked. I don't know if the you need to put in the imei or just put in the sim to activate a z30 on Verizon but try that see what happens

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    You need a Verizon SIM to activate but of course they need the IMEI as well. Thanks for the *#06# info. Tried it and the only difference I see in my IMEI number from what's listed in Settings:About is there's a slash one (/1) at the very end of the number string. Not sure what that means but doubt it's a part of the IMEI number itself.

10-07-14 03:48 PM
37 12